Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > lauriebear » Entries for November 1, 2012

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,132
Threads: 54,248
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,728)
Welcome to our newest member, elf princess
Old

All Saints Day: November 1st

Posted 11-01-2012 at 07:50 AM by lauriebear

All Saints Day, the day on which Christians celebrate all the saints, known and unknown, is a surprisingly old feast. It arose out of the Christian tradition of celebrating the martyrdom of saints on the anniversary of their martyrdom. When martyrdoms (sp ???) increased during the persecutions of the late Roman Empire, local dioceses instituted a common feast day in order to ensure that all martyrs, known and unknown were properly honored.

The Date is November 1st
Type of Feast: Solemnity; Holy Day of Obligation
Typical Readings: Revelation 7:2-4, 9-14; Psalm 24:1bc-2, 3-4ab, 5-6; 1 John 3:1-3; Matthew 5:1-12a
Typical Prayers: Litany of the Saints

History of All Saints Day:
By the late fourth century, this common feast was celebrated in Antioch, and Saint Ephrem (sp ???) the Syrian mentioned it in a sermon in the year 373 AD. In the early centuries, this feast was celebrated in the Easter season, and the Eastern Churches, both...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award