MMC Ending Christmas Too Soon

ElfBot

MMC Newshound
Oct 17, 2005
In a world where “Christmas Creep” has become a thing nary a word is said about the abrupt end of Christmas. Ending Christmas each year happens without warning and absent of ceremony. I was aghast to see on Facebook a friend who had tossed their tree to the curb on the evening of December 25th. Being charitable, my first thought was “maybe it was really dry”. No. They bragged about it! “We are the first to de-Christmasify the house on our street.” they said. To them it was an accomplishment – a badge of honor, a gold star ripped from theRead more

The post Ending Christmas Too Soon appeared first on My Merry Christmas.

Continue reading...

GWarren

Seasons Eatings Podcast
MMC Lifer
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
MMC Partner
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 24, 2017
St. John's, NL
www.seasonseatingspodcast.com
In our house everything stays up until Old Christmas Day, Jan. 7. And the house gets decorated when advent starts, around the beginning of December. Five weeks seems to be just enough time to cherish and appreciate everything for us. I can get my Christmas fix for the rest of the year here.

That being said, we are now the last house on our street which still have our lights on outside. Most were turned off by Jan. 1.

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
I love my Christmas Tree, decorations and lights but by New Years I am ready to pack them away until Thanksgiving Weekend. Once I had the tree up until mid Jan but by the time I packed it up it has lost that specialness to me and I didn't like that feeling. Sometimes too much of a good thing is not a good thing. Maybe if we didn't decorate until later in Dec it wouldn't feel like that.

Reactions: Holiday

NcGunny

Candycane Wrangler
MMC Emeritus Member
Dec 28, 2015
Ny
To many people view Christmas after New Years in the traditional sense of (family,presents, friends gathering etc.) Thats why everything gets put away early, or the age old excuse of "its cluttering up my house" to put it away. And some people only care to have it up for a few weeks, which is understandable. I have kept my whole house decorated the entire year a few times, I have also kept it decorated from Oct-Feb. Nothing changes the feeling of Christmas time, because I know in January Christmas is over with. My decorations now become a reflection of Christmas, its about the lights and colors, trying new decorating ideas and quite honestly..being able to enjoy the colors and music of Christmas that just passed us, because of a hectic schedule.

noodlenoggin

Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015
Most years I am absolutely floored at how quickly everyone seems to end everything Christmassy after Christmas Day is over. It's surreal sometimes how we go for a month and a half of Christmas in every direction at all times, to there being none of that, literally overnight from Dec 25th into the morning of Dec 26th. People seem so quick to just dismiss it nowadays. Trees out on the sidewalk before New Years. Even bringing it up no more than a few days later as if it is still current can be awkward since most people already consider it to be completely over. Nevermind bringing it up in January, more than once, where you'll practically get weird side eye looks from people wondering why you're still thinking about Christmas.

And it's weird because I really strongly feel like it didn't used to be that way. Growing up during the 90s, I never once felt like after Christmas Day it was all over. The assumption was always that it was still very much the Christmas season until at least through New Years and for a few days after. And I don't mean that in a religious sense of observing the holiday. I just mean in terms of how I viewed the season as a whole. Even the night of New Years Eve always seemed to have a more Christmassy feel to it, as if it was like a follow up to it, than it just being a separate holiday altogether. I'm sure some of that was a result of my own desire and efforts to continue to do Christmassy things, which might have made it seem like that's what everybody else was doing. And then being in Catholic school all those years always kind of facilitated throughout the whole year a lot of things that are heavily promoted during Christmas time, which I recognize many people didn't have. So in that sense, I could see how it might have been my own perception of things that I just assumed was how everybody else thought. But even considering all that, I still have this very strong sense that it used to be much more acceptable during that week between Christmas and New Years to continue to do Christmassy things. I even remember TV networks continued to show a lot more Christmas content during that week than they do now. And I always kept that mentality as I grew older, and still do to this day. Granted, I got busy in my late teens/early 20s and the holidays were kind of a secondary thought when they were here. But now that I'm a little older and more settled, and my passion for the holidays has really become a major part of my adult life, it's something I've obviously been paying attention to. And I find that it just isn't the case anymore that people see it like that.

Or maybe they never did, and it truly was just my own perception of things. I'm not sure if I'll ever truly know.

But it is something I've been seeking to answer, so if anybody has any thoughts about it, just about whether my notions were correct or not, I'd love to hear it.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image