Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Decorations (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Do you leave your lights on all night? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18709)

DayTek 12-01-2009 05:54 AM

Do you leave your lights on all night?

I went to a movie this past Friday and did not get home until 1 AM. As we drove home, I noticed quite a few people still had their outdoor Christmas lights on. I thought this was odd, but just thought maybe their timers hadn't turned them off yet or something.

Well I babysat the next night on Saturday. When the couple woke me up I took a cab home at 3 AM and again I noticed more Christmas lights on then I would have expected at that time.

I'm no night owl, so I've never noticed this before because I'm not usually out at those times. We have a timer on our lights and they turn off around midnight.

But it actually got me wondering if some people turn them on and leave them on all night! I could see doing this on Christmas Eve/Day and maybe New Years, but I personally wouldn't want the hydro bill leaving them on all night...LOL.

I'm not judging just wondering what time you turn your Christmas lights on and off during the season? That includes the tree.

:yahoo:

frostrabbit 12-01-2009 06:08 AM

My lights are turned on when I'm up in the morning and they stay on for most of the day until we go to bed. I don't like leaving lights on when I'm not around though so they're always turned off whenever I leave the apartment. The lights for our Christmas tree are LED so I'm not too worried about bills because they use up a lot less energy than non-LED (at least that's what my husband tells me!)

singingringingtree 12-01-2009 06:26 AM

Christmas tree lights and inside lights go on when were are at home and we turn them off when we go out or go to bed. Outside lights go on by timer at 4pm and off again at around 11pm.

Christmas-A-Holic 12-01-2009 06:28 AM

My outdoor Christmas lights are plugged into a sensor that come on at dusk and go off at dawn so they are on all night. I turn my indoor Christmas lights off when I go to bed. My electric bill is at it's lowest this time of year since we do not have a bitter cold winter so heat is not ran that often. Even with lights on all night my electric is very affordable. I notice most people around here have their outdoor lights on all night.

Minta 12-01-2009 08:02 AM

Our outdoor lights are on a timer. They go on at 5 and shut of around 10.

The inside lights get turned off when we go to bed.

frostyman 12-01-2009 08:25 AM

The only night our lights stay on all night is Christmas Eve. :tree:

joyful 12-01-2009 08:33 AM

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day our lights are on all night and day. The rest of the time the lights are on a timer.

radiant star 12-01-2009 08:34 AM

Our lights are on a timer. They turn on around dusk and turn off sometime around dawn.

usafvet 12-01-2009 09:00 AM

As many others have posted on here, my lights are on a timer w/ light sensor. They usually come on when it is dusk (usually between 5:30pm - 6pm) and stay on for 6 hours before turning off (between 11:30 to midnight).

However, every Christmas Eve and Christmas day I leave them on all day and night. I do that again on New Years eve so I can enjoy them one last time. They usually come down in the first week of January. My home owner's association is pretty strict about that.

ChristmasFanatic56 12-01-2009 09:03 AM

Indoor - When someone is awake - THEYRE ON!

Outdoor - My lightshow runs from 5PM til 11PM