Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gifting (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Hand made gifts (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21593)

MrsH 10-09-2010 06:42 PM

Hand made gifts

With the economy so darned wonderful, I've been working really hard to find things that I can inexpensively make by hand to give as gifts. I have tried knitting in the past and discovered that I am HORRIBLE at it. I recently decided I needed to learn how to crochet. So.....for my family who all live up north where it is cold, I have started making scarves. I have asked them all what their favorite colors are and am making loads and loads of scarves. I've finished three of them. I'm really looking forward to doing them. My next scarf will be a hooded scarf. When I get a few completed, I will post pictures.

Mumof2 10-10-2010 02:14 PM

I have crocheted a few scarfs for family members myself.I even bought a loom kit back in the spring and did a few hats and skinny scarfs.It's a peaceful hobby too.

MrsH 10-10-2010 03:31 PM

It is peaceful. I can do it watching football, crime dramas, or anything. :hello:

MerryCarey 10-10-2010 08:18 PM

Hello, fellow crocheters! In past years I've made afghans, hats, scarves, and mittens as Christmas gifts for family members. No one else in the family does any sort of needlecraft, so they think I'm amazing. I've been kept busy this year making baby afghans for new parents in my office. There are only about 40 employees, but I must have given four or five afghans just this year. Another baby was born last week, and another is due in December!

There's a thread somewhere on the forum here about crochet. Glad to know there are a few other "happy hookers" on the forum. I've always enjoyed it more than knitting, I guess, because my mother and grandmothers crocheted, but didn't knit. And it IS peaceful.

Mumof2 10-11-2010 01:26 PM

I've had a hard time learning to knit for some reason.I've tried a few times,but My patience wears thin and the needles fly across the room..:)
Im currently working on 2 scarfs,just finished one for my MIL.

TwinkleLights25 08-09-2011 10:40 PM

Yay for crochet! tee hee

I can do scarves, and therefore probably a blanket...but if it isnt like [____] or [_] (you know?) I'm not sure if I could, like shirts, or a hat..

MerryCarey 08-10-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinkleLights25 (Post 364355)
Yay for crochet! tee hee

I can do scarves, and therefore probably a blanket...but if it isnt like [____] or [_] (you know?) I'm not sure if I could, like shirts, or a hat..

It's fairly easy to make a warm winter hat! I make them throughout the summer and give them to a homeless shelter when it gets cold.

Try this with knitting worsted (e.g., plain old Red Heart or another inexpensive acrylic) and an H or I hook:

Chain 45. (To save a step later, you can leave a long end for sewing up the top with.) Hdc in the 3rd ch from the hook. Hdc to almost the end, but sc in the last 4 ch. Ch 2; turn.

Work in back loops only for about 20 to 24 inches (usually 52 to 56 rows by my gauge), depending on the size hat you want to make, working hdc in the hdc's and sc in the sc's. One end will be narrower---that's so the hat will taper at the top. When you've reached the number of rows you need, break yarn at the end of an even-numbered row and finish off, leaving a long tail for sewing.

Fold the piece and sew the long edges together, using the long tail you left when you finished off. Weave the end through several stitches to secure it before you cut the yarn.

Thread the long tail from the beginning through the edges of the rows and pull it up tight to form the top of the hat. Weave the end through several stitches to secure it before you cut the yarn. If there's a little gap, you can sew it up before you cut the yarn, or make a pompom to put over it.

Turn the hat inside out, fold up the bottom into a cuff, and you've got a thick ribbed hat that will keep your ears warm.

If the cuff is too wide to suit you, just make the chain shorter when you start, and there'll be less to fold up.

If you like a really thick hat and have more patience, use sc and sl st instead of hdc, chaining only 1 before turning for each row.

If that's too confusing ... just crochet a rectangle, sew up the long edge, and gather one end to make the top.

Gingerbread Latte 08-22-2011 12:33 PM

MerryCarey, thanks for the so-easy crochet hat pattern! I'm going to make several this year!

Meceka 08-22-2011 04:43 PM

Thank you for posting the pattern, Merry!

TwinkleLights25 09-29-2012 12:04 AM

Thanks for sharing that pattern!