Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Exercise (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Running (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24005)

Christmas-A-Holic 05-19-2011 12:01 PM

Running

Do you need to get in shape to "run" from one Christmas sale to another?

Are you a runner or want to begin running?

What are you goals in running? Wanting to run a 5k, marathon or just running for fun?

We can discuss many ways to get started and/or could use advice from an experienced runner to help out.

http://www.whs.weber.k12.ut.us/jooml...ning-santa.gif

Christmas-A-Holic 05-25-2011 10:33 AM

Shoes are very important to get started on running. I found Asics to be the best shoe for me.

Does anyone have a preference in a particular shoe that works you? Do you have any suggestions on what to look for in a good running shoe?

trackrebel 05-25-2011 10:51 AM

I used to be a natural runner....I played hockey since I was 8.....a striker.....so I needed lots of footspeed.....then later on I switched from striker to midfielder....now as a midfielder u gotta pace over that entire field the entire game and gotta be able to do sprints in between.......I used to be good on 800 - 1000 meters and my sprintin wasnt too bad either.....everything that took any longer got boring to me a lot......tho I am planning to pick up jogging soon....nothing burns them calories better than plain ole joggin

Christmasstar 05-25-2011 03:29 PM

I ran in high school, but have not done much of it since. Now that I walk more I have started adding short bursts of running to pump up my heart rate. It feels good and I can see myself doing it again. cheesy

ChristmasHeart 05-26-2011 06:23 AM

GREAT topic!

I used to run a few years back. I got up to running 5 to 7 miles a day (and on some days I'd throw in kick boxing or step classes). There is no feeling like it!

I've recently taken it up again - and it feels amazing! My goal is not to lose weight - but to tone, to feel healthy and energetic, to strengthen my heart!

Oh...I want to run a half-marathon next year too!

I remember how I felt when I was really into it - and I'm so happy that I'm running again! I'm already feeling the benefits!

I am also happy to find others who love it too!

Christmas-A-Holic 05-26-2011 06:50 AM

Good idea Christmasstar, it does rev your heart up if you add a jog with your walk.

ChristmasHeart, the most I have ran so far is a little over 2 straight miles. I can't seem to get past that yet but not giving up. When I entered the 3k over a month ago I did run most of it but walk a little. Same here, not for weight loss but just to FEEL BETTER!

I want to run a 5k but if I wait too long it will be just too dang hot over the summer to run one. I will have to wait until the fall.

I'm about to put on my running shoes and go for a run shortly! =)

RachRon 05-26-2011 07:05 AM

I started running in November and then completed the couch to 5k program in April, however I have since developed a horrible case of shin splints that I cant seem to get under control. Running is great and I am hooked on it I just wish I get rid of the shin pain.

Christmas-A-Holic 05-26-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachRon (Post 345659)
I started running in November and then completed the couch to 5k program in April, however I have since developed a horrible case of shin splints that I cant seem to get under control. Running is great and I am hooked on it I just wish I get rid of the shin pain.

I started on the Couch to 5k. Great program and got me far but now I just do my own thing and listen to my body. When it wears down I stop running. Sorry about the shin pain. I hope you can heal and get back to running soon!

MsChristmas 05-26-2011 07:30 AM

Well to be honest I dont particularly love running but I LOVE the way it makes me feel.. I usually run on the treadmill 3-4 times a week nothing too serious but enough to tone and I hope keep me semi healthy... its funny how when I was on vacation last week how much I missed my treadmill though and this week I only ran twice and I felt so out of shape from taking off the week and eating horrible! UGH LOL Im glad to be back into my routine cheesy

irishsnow 05-26-2011 07:07 PM

I used to love running but since I broke my leg and put on weight I find it really hard to get going again.

My leg has healed 100% but my fitness is crap at the minute and I get frustrated that I cant run like I was able to :-?