Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Exercise (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Walking (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24094)

Christmasstar 05-25-2011 01:31 PM

Walking

this is the easiest of all exercises.

You can do it anywhere, inside, outside, alone, with a friend. Go for a long walk or just around the block. (and I don't mean the toy block on the floor!)

If you are out of shape it is a great way to get started exercising. Go to the corner and back, when you are used to that go half way around the block and back, when you are used to that go further. Before you know it you are walking all over the place and actually enjoying it!

There are some great stationery walking tapes out on the market if you want to stay home because maybe the baby is sleeping.

The most important thing is that you do it!

Christmas-A-Holic 05-25-2011 01:50 PM

I agree! Walking is easy and free!

My mother is almost 70 and stays in great shape by walking, walking and more walking! cheesy

Christmasstar 05-29-2011 02:20 PM

I need to get out for more walks now that I have finished off my crazy busy week. cheesy

momnan30 05-29-2011 07:51 PM

I try to walk everyday for 45 minutes to an hour and it helps me so much to not only feel better physically, but mentally as well. After I lost my precious mom in November, I really was so depressed, but I pushed myself to get out and walk everyday even when I didn't want to and it truly helped boost my spirits.

Christmas-A-Holic 05-30-2011 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momnan30 (Post 346440)
I try to walk everyday for 45 minutes to an hour and it helps me so much to not only feel better physically, but mentally as well. After I lost my precious mom in November, I really was so depressed, but I pushed myself to get out and walk everyday even when I didn't want to and it truly helped boost my spirits.

Sorry to hear of you losing your mom.

I agree that pushing yourself physically is good for mental health. Sometimes I have to do that with running. There are some days I JUST DON'T WANT TO! As soon as I take off on that first sprint I feel great and just keep going.

You are doing good with 45 minutes a day. Keep up the good work!

AuntieMistletoeDear 06-06-2011 06:01 PM

I am also sorry to hear of your loss, Momnan.

I feel like not going half the time I head to the gym and soon discover those are usually my best workouts. I am an early morning work out gal. I can find way too many excuses not to exercise if I don't get it done before noon. Most of the time, I'm over at the gym by 5:45 and find it clears my mind and prepares me for the rest of my day.

I don't walk as much as I used to because I exercise at the gym regularly, when I walk I usually have my camera with me so it's not a brisk walk, it's more of a stroll with eyes watching for photo opportunities.

I enjoy hiking, I wish I did it more often, but it's usually only a few times a year.

We live so close to where I work now that I don't really walk much except to the mall or over to visit my parents. I kind of miss those days when we lived further from my work and I could walk home and unwind my mind before I got home. Now when I get in my husband and the cat are waiting to greet me and I often wind up going to bed without anymore exercise than what I got during my morning work out.

momnan30 06-06-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntieMistletoeDear (Post 348036)
I am also sorry to hear of your loss, Momnan.

I feel like not going half the time I head to the gym and soon discover those are usually my best workouts. I am an early morning work out gal. I can find way too many excuses not to exercise if I don't get it done before noon. Most of the time, I'm over at the gym by 5:45 and find it clears my mind and prepares me for the rest of my day.

I don't walk as much as I used to because I exercise at the gym regularly, when I walk I usually have my camera with me so it's not a brisk walk, it's more of a stroll with eyes watching for photo opportunities.

I enjoy hiking, I wish I did it more often, but it's usually only a few times a year.

We live so close to where I work now that I don't really walk much except to the mall or over to visit my parents. I kind of miss those days when we lived further from my work and I could walk home and unwind my mind before I got home. Now when I get in my husband and the cat are waiting to greet me and I often wind up going to bed without anymore exercise than what I got during my morning work out.

appreciate this support, thanks so much!

AuntieMistletoeDear 06-06-2011 06:48 PM

Family is important to me. I nearly lost my father and my mother from different ailmenst, but they both pulled through. I lost my God-Mother last year and she was like a second mom so I kind of know what it feels like.

MerrySilver 06-15-2011 10:43 AM

I drop so much weight by walking!! I don't drive, and fortunately I now live in a suburban area with easy access to downtown, so I can walk pretty much anywhere I please :) It sure as heck has been trimming my waistline!!

Maureen 06-15-2011 12:52 PM

I walk a lot with the dogs but I have started parking the car in a place which is at the top of a hill - and when I say hill, it feels like it goes _/ Incredibly easy in the morning to get to work but by 5pm and straight up, I feel I need to pitch a tent half way up and make base-camp!!!!

Still, I'm hoping after a couple of weeks, it'll start to show because I still can't do situps or anything stomach muscle wise