Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Eating (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Cravings At Christmas And Other Times (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24120)

caninemom3 05-27-2011 01:54 PM

Cravings At Christmas And Other Times

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering about something. How do you handle cravings for all that delicous food especially at Christmas time when you are trying to lose weight ??

I have ALWAYS had a problem with "impulse eating" especially at Christmas. You know, you're going along fine on your healthy eating program and all of a sudden the impulse hits to just go crazy, abandon your healthy plan, and go food crazy !!! Of course afterward you realize what you did and at least for me I get really sad and upset that I gave in !!

Does this ever happen to anyone else ?? How do you handle it effectively ?? :tree:

Christmas-A-Holic 05-27-2011 02:51 PM

I have never had a weight issue but had to choose healthy eating due to health problems. Going vegetarian over 2 years ago was super easy and I never felt I missed out on anything. I corrected my stomach problems doing that but was still suffering chronic fatigue.

I found out I was allergic to wheat/gluten and dairy. Food allergies trigger fatigue. Caffeine and sugar does the same to me but I have no allergies with that. This past fall 2009 I gave up all that I just mentioned. You would not believe how hard it is to find desserts without those ingredients!

Eating things not good for you in moderation does well for some people but does not work at all for me. I have experimented many times to try to eat something in moderation that I shouldn't and end up paying for it for days. It's really no fun being me! Lol!

This past Thanksgiving and Christmas was just terrible with cravings of sweets! I get through just fine the rest of the year but not during the holidays. I would see all the stuff I loved before and just had to pass it up. I never once gave in though. I didn't want to feel ill during the most joyous time of the year.

I am going to learn how to make rich healthy desserts that are wheat/gluten dairy free made with natural low glycemic sugars (agave nectar and stevia) that I plan to have on hand this year. A new wheat/gluten free bakery opened up nearby that I can get desserts from. I plan to pick up some good stuff from them this year to have at the Thanksgiving and Christmas table.

That is how I plan to handle it this coming holiday! cheesy

trackrebel 05-28-2011 07:05 AM

CAH.....You are one strong woman!!!!!

Christmas-A-Holic 05-28-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackrebel (Post 346078)
CAH.....You are one strong woman!!!!!

No I'm not! I go home, cry and throw a fit when I can't have my sugary sweets! :lol:

Adam 05-29-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic (Post 346080)
No I'm not! I go home, cry and throw a fit when I can't have my sugary sweets! :lol:

Haaa!!!! You sound like me :D I do that too....hehehe.

JOHNOR 06-02-2011 09:55 AM

from 1st december i'm eating what i want, when i want it! december is "time off" from the usual lifestyle for me. i just make sure that i get out in that fresh, crisp winter air and walk that bit more. yeah, i definitely still put about 7lb on, but it's so worth it.

MsChristmas 06-03-2011 09:46 AM

Yummm I love Christmas foods..well I love just about all foods.. I try to run 3 times a week (even during the Holiday season.. I get up at 4:30 am to not take away time from my Boys).. Im tired as heck but it makes me feel better after eating all those Christmas cookies cheesy

JOHNOR 06-03-2011 11:32 AM

gotta love december..... cookies, freshly bakes cakes, pastries, starbucks christmas coffee, full english breakfasts, chocolates, alcohol!!!!

kgstyles 06-03-2011 02:28 PM

I do pretty much the same as JOHNOR..From Thanksgiving on, the healthy eating is off! And I usually put on about 10 lbs but it's all worth it and I eventually get back to my normal weight...

AuntieMistletoeDear 06-06-2011 05:06 PM

I haven't had chocolates or Christmas cookies or pies or cakes or anything like that in about seven years. Sure I miss it, but I'm okay with it. I get cravings all the time, I just ignore them. Recently I've started baking again. I make chocolates and fudge for my husband and the gang at work for various occasions. I started doing that in February with the hopes that I can do some Christmas baking this year. I sure have missed that merry tradition.

I get my strength from my father. After his bout with cancer seven years ago, he nearly died, as a result from the type of cancer he had and the treatments, he has to eat from a feeding tube in his stomach, yet he still cooks for my mom, company, his bridge buddies, and watches cooking shows on T.V. He's still working and enjoys golfing and travelling so it hasn't put a damper on him, I think it's harder on us knowing he can't eat.

Back in '88 I tried the Weight Loss Clinic thing and lost twenty-five pounds. I remember that Christmas was tremendously difficult because nobody would pass anything to me at Christmas dinner. That's good in some ways because now and then family members can be pushy about food. I kept saying, "I can have that" and someone would pass a dish or plate to me. I just had less of it and no gravy or sweet potato pie or turnip puff because they had too many added sweet things in them. Counting calories had my family concerned because I looked so gaunt and grey. If you pay attention to calories at all, you know reducing to 600-700 a day is near impossible.

These days I refuse all sweets and foods that raise my blood sugar (starchy foods aren't good either, but I eat them a few times a week. I am an apple lover and I'm happy with a tasty apple while family and friends enjoy the traditional baked pies and squares.