Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Eating (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Pumpkins and their Health Benefits (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24193)

Christmas-A-Holic 06-02-2011 05:40 PM

Pumpkins and their Health Benefits

When the holidays approach we get hungry for pumpkin pie.

It's good to know that pumpkins are loaded with vitamin A and C, potassium, magnesium, fiber, and low in calories.

Have a slice of guilt free pumpkin pie!

Ingredients:
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin (about 1 3/4c)
8 ounces skim milk or 8 ounces low-fat soymilk
3 egg whites
2/3 reduced fat graham cracker crust (take off the sides of the crust and discard)
3/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
pumpkin pie spice
2 egg whites, for the crust

Directions:
1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
2 Mix pumpkin, milk, and egg whites until smooth.
3 Gradually stir in Splenda (1/4 cup at a time).
4 Add the pumpkin pie spice; taste and add more if need be.
5 Pour into crust** and spread evenly.
6 Bake in the oven for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 45 minutes (may vary depending on ovens).
7 Let cool and serve your favorite way.

Jeff Westover 06-02-2011 05:58 PM

Interesting! I'm going to have my wife give this a shot. She is famous for her pumpkin pie -- all made by hand, including growing the pumpkin (she never uses canned pumpkin).

She also makes a mean pumpkin soup. And, of course, pumpkin bread. And muffins. The more with pumpkin the better!

XmasDreams 06-02-2011 06:02 PM

This look and sounds great, since i am huge pumpkin eater and drinker. If it has pumpkin in it i will usually try it.

Christmas-A-Holic 06-02-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover (Post 347306)
Interesting! I'm going to have my wife give this a shot. She is famous for her pumpkin pie -- all made by hand, including growing the pumpkin (she never uses canned pumpkin).

She also makes a mean pumpkin soup. And, of course, pumpkin bread. And muffins. The more with pumpkin the better!

I bet that pumpkin soup is healthy. We need her recipe! :wink:

The bread and muffins sound super tasty too!

momnan30 06-03-2011 09:16 AM

Okay,now you have me wanting a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks to wash down my pie!!!
Seriously though, I love pumpkin anything!

MsChristmas 06-03-2011 09:27 AM

Love pumpkin! I just had a pumpkin muffie from Panera Bread this morning cheesy

XmasDreams 06-03-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom n 30 (Post 347394)
Okay,now you have me wanting a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks to wash down my pie!!!
Seriously though, I love pumpkin anything!

I know what you mean, I really with that Sep would hurry and get here so they would be making them again.

Adam 06-03-2011 01:31 PM

chocolate chip pumpkin anything, and im sold lol. Starbucks does a year round pumpkin loaf here in California (not sure about anywhere else) and I get it when I need a fix! So yummy.

momnan30 06-03-2011 05:47 PM

Does the caramel sauce cancel the health benefits of this recipe?
Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel and Pecans
Bread Pudding
4 eggs
2 15oz cans of pumpkin
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup half and half
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 cups french bread cut into 1 inch cubes (about 12oz)

Caramel Sauce with Pecans

1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, milk, sugar, half and half, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Add the cubed bread and mix until fully coated. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350. Pour bread mixture into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
During the last 10 minutes of baking, prepare the caramel sauce. Cook the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the caramel from the heat and add the vanilla extract and pecans.
Remove the bread pudding from the oven and drizzle with the caramel sauce. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whip cream!
Mmmmm…the perfect combination of fall flavors!
Recipe adapted from Southern Living.

Christmas-A-Holic 06-03-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momnan30 (Post 347473)
Does the caramel sauce cancel the health benefits of this recipe?

I'm sure it does but it still looks very tasty! Probably can substitute for healthy ingredients to make this. Thanks for sharing! cheesy