Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Eating (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Do you use any "alternative" sweeteners when baking? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24201)

judesmama 06-03-2011 06:16 PM

Do you use any "alternative" sweeteners when baking?

My go-to healthier sweetener is agave, for sure! It has a lower glycemic index, which eliminates the "sugar rush." As it becomes more popular, I've found it everywhere from Target to Trader Joes to even Marshalls and TJ Maxx!!

If you are interested in using agave in your baking, I found this really helpful conversion chart from madhavasweeteners.com:

Agave Nectar is sweeter than sugar, so you can use less!
Substitute 2/3 cup agave nectar per 1 cup sugar.
Compensate for the moisture in the agave nectar by reducing other liquids added by 1 FL OZ per 2/3 cup agave used. Or, estimate the moisture to be approx. 20% of the agave used. If the recipe calls for no liquid, add 3-5 Tbs. (22.5 37.5g) of flour for each cup (180 mL) of liquid sweetener.
To avoid overbrowning, oven temperature should be reduced by 25 deg. F and baking time increased by 6% to compensate.

Christmas-A-Holic 06-03-2011 06:26 PM

I love agave nectar!!!

Rice syrup and coconut sugar are low in glycemic index as well. I use those all the time too.

Thanks for sharing the tips on substituting sugar for agave. I always had to guess at it! Now I can go here and look it up. cheesy

judesmama 06-03-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic (Post 347479)
I love agave nectar!!!

Rice syrup and coconut sugar are low in glycemic index as well. I use those all the time too.

Thanks for sharing the tips on substituting sugar for agave. I always had to guess at it! Now I can go here and look it up. cheesy

I always guessed, too!! I'm glad to have found "real" info now, hehe!

momnan30 06-03-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judesmama (Post 347476)
My go-to healthier sweetener is agave, for sure! It has a lower glycemic index, which eliminates the "sugar rush." As it becomes more popular, I've found it everywhere from Target to Trader Joes to even Marshalls and TJ Maxx!!

If you are interested in using agave in your baking, I found this really helpful conversion chart from madhavasweeteners.com:

Agave Nectar is sweeter than sugar, so you can use less!
Substitute 2/3 cup agave nectar per 1 cup sugar.
Compensate for the moisture in the agave nectar by reducing other liquids added by 1 FL OZ per 2/3 cup agave used. Or, estimate the moisture to be approx. 20% of the agave used. If the recipe calls for no liquid, add 3-5 Tbs. (22.5 37.5g) of flour for each cup (180 mL) of liquid sweetener.
To avoid overbrowning, oven temperature should be reduced by 25 deg. F and baking time increased by 6% to compensate.

Thank you for this conversion chart. I bought some agave syrup and was unsure how to use it for baking. I have been using honey and raw sugar in the past few years in my breads, but am always trying to improve recipes for better health. One thing I will never try again is trying to make my Christmas cookies healthier. My kids almost had a bird the year I did because they tasted really bad. It's so much a part of our tradition and it's once a year. If we die a little sooner, we'll die with a smile and a couple of red and green sugar crystals on our lips! Tee hee!

judesmama 06-03-2011 06:59 PM

LOL - yes, some things are better left alone!!! I try to make my muffins, waffles, pancakes, and breads "healthier" but when it comes to my cakes and cookies... no way! :)

Christmas-A-Holic 06-03-2011 07:54 PM

I am the same way about trying to make those desserts healthy and tasty but it's difficult to succeed. I just can't have sugar and have to go for the alternatives. :-?

There is a gluten free bakery nearby that make their cookies and muffins healthy and even fooled my son and husband. They can't tell the difference and said it's the best stuff they ever had. Now if I can steal the recipe that would be great!!!! cheesy

Storeytime 06-04-2011 12:47 AM

I use the agave nectar, but I don't use any of the processed artificial sweeteners because they're bad for cancer production.

Christmas-A-Holic 06-04-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storeytime (Post 347522)
I use the agave nectar, but I don't use any of the processed artificial sweeteners because they're bad for cancer production.

I don't either even though one of the recipes I posted calls for it but people can substitute for a natural kind. Usually the processed kinds have a funny aftertaste to me.

Christmasstar 06-04-2011 11:05 AM

I have tried many sweeteners in cakes to experiment and have found nothing that works. All of these leave a funny taste in baked goods.

I did have one customer who insisted on all artificial sweetener, I warned them but that is what they wanted. Well, they told me later threw out the cake as it tasted terrible!

Meceka 06-19-2011 06:38 AM

I'd like to try agave nectar some day. What I have been doing is cutting up to half of the sugar that is called for in a recipe. One of the chocolate chip cookie recipes I make calls for 1 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of brown, packed. I use 1/2 cup of each and the brown sugar isn't packed. They are still on the sweet side - next time I'm cutting a bit more of the white - it takes some experimenting to find the appropriate sweetness and texture!