Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weight Loss (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   A Confession & a Beginning (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24279)

Jeff Westover 06-09-2011 10:36 PM

A Confession & a Beginning

Well, here goes:

My little experience with gout this week has been a sobering wake-up call. I've watched my mom, who is diabetic, suffer with gout for years. I had no idea it could be so painful.

But at 47 here I am experiencing what I know are all the classic danger signs not only of diabetes but also of sleep apnea, heart disease and, I don't know, maybe even fallen arches.

So it is time for me to make the change -- the big lifestyle change. It is time I realize I'm not 19 anymore.

Back then I had an iron gut. I could lose weight without thinking about it. But these days I spend a lot of time in front of a computer and eating has morphed into a lot of bad habits -- not eating breakfast, munching while at my desk, eating out for convenience, etc.

That all has to change. I need to drop at least 100 pounds. I love just about anything about food -- except eating it right. I know this all needs to change and it has started this week.

I won't waste my time weighing myself. That's an exercise in futility and a false indicator of how you're doing, in my book. I've never believed in weight guides anyway. I man of my height, they say, should weigh about 160 pounds. I haven't weighed that much since 6th grade. I have a broad build, very wide features overall and I'll never be that guy (unless I want to look like I'm undergoing cancer treatment).

I will know it when I wear my clothes, when I can get a full night's sleep, when I can tie my shoes without losing my breath, when I can see my feet, when I have to move the seat up in my car and when I play with my kids.

My plan?

Well, we're likely going back on the "Clean Eating" plan as advanced by Tosca Reno.

Nothing fancy about it. Simple foods, mostly whole variety -- but no big deal if you cheat now and then with a piece of birthday cake. Just sensible portions, balanced eating routines, and diligent refrains from refined sugar and preservatives.

We have tried other diets. But this one not only works well for me but also leaves me feeling good and not like I've been missing something.

My goal here is to be healthy. I'm not really looking to impress with my looks and climb Everest.

ballcoach 06-09-2011 10:44 PM

Good luck, Jeff. I'm going to read about this diet!

Jeff Westover 06-09-2011 10:54 PM

We like it. It doesn't have a ton of limitations and it emphasizes self control and good sense. We've always done well with it. We just have to stick with it.

Christmas-A-Holic 06-10-2011 07:08 AM

Good luck to you! We are here to cheer you on! cheesy

Undrtakr 06-10-2011 08:14 AM

Luck to you Jeff. I hope everything works according to plan and we are ALL ROOTING FOR YOU!!!

JOHNOR 06-10-2011 03:59 PM

let us know how you're getting on jeff, we'd be interested to know.

i too need to make changes to my lifestyle, i think i'm invisible because i'm only 26, but i'm a mother now and i need to be healthy for my daughter. i worry about my fiance as he barely exercises and eats alot of crap when out and about with his job. we also started our change this week, nothing fancy, just basic stuff like no skipping breakfast, making wise food choices and making sure we move more. of course treats are a must, just not every day anymore.

and we all know that over christmas the rules bend slightly so we have that to look forward to cheesy

irishsnow 06-10-2011 04:16 PM

Good luck Jeff

made582 06-10-2011 06:34 PM

Good Luck Jeff!!!!!!

momnan30 06-10-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover (Post 348692)
Well, here goes:

My little experience with gout this week has been a sobering wake-up call. I've watched my mom, who is diabetic, suffer with gout for years. I had no idea it could be so painful.

But at 47 here I am experiencing what I know are all the classic danger signs not only of diabetes but also of sleep apnea, heart disease and, I don't know, maybe even fallen arches.

So it is time for me to make the change -- the big lifestyle change. It is time I realize I'm not 19 anymore.

Back then I had an iron gut. I could lose weight without thinking about it. But these days I spend a lot of time in front of a computer and eating has morphed into a lot of bad habits -- not eating breakfast, munching while at my desk, eating out for convenience, etc.

That all has to change. I need to drop at least 100 pounds. I love just about anything about food -- except eating it right. I know this all needs to change and it has started this week.

I won't waste my time weighing myself. That's an exercise in futility and a false indicator of how you're doing, in my book. I've never believed in weight guides anyway. I man of my height, they say, should weigh about 160 pounds. I haven't weighed that much since 6th grade. I have a broad build, very wide features overall and I'll never be that guy (unless I want to look like I'm undergoing cancer treatment).

I will know it when I wear my clothes, when I can get a full night's sleep, when I can tie my shoes without losing my breath, when I can see my feet, when I have to move the seat up in my car and when I play with my kids.

My plan?

Well, we're likely going back on the "Clean Eating" plan as advanced by Tosca Reno.

Nothing fancy about it. Simple foods, mostly whole variety -- but no big deal if you cheat now and then with a piece of birthday cake. Just sensible portions, balanced eating routines, and diligent refrains from refined sugar and preservatives.

We have tried other diets. But this one not only works well for me but also leaves me feeling good and not like I've been missing something.

My goal here is to be healthy. I'm not really looking to impress with my looks and climb Everest.

It's a worthy goal for all of us...to keep the body a temple of health and make the most of our years. I'm glad you are going to make this step toward feeling better. It's inspiring to me to cut out some of the sugar and start practicing more of what I preach to my family.

Mumof2 06-11-2011 12:23 AM

I know how much it takes to stay on that path.I've lost 15lbs. & my Hubby has lost 60lbs. We keep eachother motivated & not give up. Good Luck! ox