Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Countdown (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   The History of Carl, The 'Pines, and Fired Twinkies (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27506)

Christmas-A-Holic 09-29-2011 12:17 PM

The History of Carl, The 'Pines, and Fired Twinkies

Are you wondering who Carl is, what is The 'Pines and what Fired Twinkies are in our Countdown thread?

The history you are about to read was taken from one of Crown's post in the Countdown thread with an explanation:

OK.
I'll try to review the history of some of the more -- well -- interesting characters and places mentioned here in our countdown thread.

First, of course, there is Carl.
Ah, Carl! Our 3-humped Coffee Camel.
Born about 5 years ago over at Christmas.com, he came about as part of the long-running interplay between Binger and myself in regards to coffee vs sleep.
(Carl's third hump stored the finest blend of coffee which der Bingster coveted.)

Originally, Carl lived with me and was a frequent over-the-shoulder commentator when I posted the daily count.
After a time, he began staying with willing thread contributors who agreed to be his host for short visits. After each visit, his antics were duly reported by the host for all to read and enjoy.

Over time, the humor wore a bit thin so Carl was mentioned less frequently. Eventually, he was dropped from the thread for several months until one of our members (Auntie perhaps?) inquired as to his whereabouts. At that point, it was revealed that Carl, owing to his unique ability to talk, had been offered an undercover position with the military on a secret spy mission in Saudi Arabia.
On his release and return, he accepted the position of activities director at the Shispering Pines where he remains to this day.

Carl's personality traits: He's fun-loving, talkative, experimental (primarily with coffee blends of a questionable nature) and -- yes -- a bit vain to the point of narcissism.
But under it all, he has a heart of gold and a guaranteed position at the 'Pines owing to his unique talents (and the fact the resort's business has tripled ever since his arrival).

That, of course, brings us to the 'Pines. The Shispering Pines, that is.
Name-christened by our own Jayish after a typo which was supposed to read "Whispering Pines", our thread-resident resort eventually took on a "Holiday Inn" (meaning the 1942 movie) like flavor, especially after Carl's arrival and his tremendous love for Christmas in general and that movie in particular.
Each Wednesday is open house day, where the first glass of sweet southern iced tea is complimentary along with the first Fired Twinkie.

Which in turn brings us to Fired Twinkies. That's right - FIRED Twinkes as (opposed to "fried").
Again, a typo was to blame. (Believe it was Binger this time.)
But our unique thread treat has endured, especially after becoming the official confection at the Shispering Pines.

Well, there you have it, folks. A thumbnail sketch of an explanation as to what has been going on here.

Bear in mind that Carl, the 'Pines and fired twinkies all came about in simpler, less crowded and less complicated times when we were few, everybody knew everybody and what was going on with all the in-jokes.
Do they have a place here at MMC as we get more crowded, sophisticated and free-wheeling?
I guess time will tell!

Yuletide Junkie 09-29-2011 12:25 PM

The crowded and sophisticated part have no impact on the talented camel's adventures. However, the free wheeling part generates a ten to fifteen minutes stream of thought joke that fades out as quickly as it sparang to life. This is not conducive to the further exploits of our caffeinated hero.

Christmas-A-Holic 09-29-2011 12:26 PM

Thanks to Bradmac and Maureen for coming up with the idea to have this info in a thread!

GingerMel 09-29-2011 01:45 PM

Interesting.

In all the years that I've been here I don't think I read the Christmas Countdown thread much until this year. Maybe that's why I never got it!

Christmasstar 09-29-2011 07:49 PM

Thank you so much, this is great!
http://miamifoodtrucks.com/wp-conten...InThePines.jpg

Snow-in-Texas 09-30-2011 07:09 AM

I want some fired twinkies. I almost typoed the typo, LOL.

MerryBells 09-30-2011 09:53 AM

No matter how crowded we get at MMC, there will always be room for Carl and fired twinkies!

Holiday 09-30-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryBells (Post 380919)
No matter how crowded we get at MMC, there will always be room for Carl and fired twinkies!

Absolutely! :grin:

Crown 84 09-30-2011 10:10 AM

Thanks for posting this, Christmas-A-Holic.
Never occurred to me to place such a post.
Good idea.

RadioJonD 09-30-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic (Post 380644)
...Born about 5 years ago over at Christmas.com, he came about as part of the long-running interplay between Binger and myself in regards to coffee vs sleep...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic (Post 380644)
...Bear in mind that Carl, the 'Pines and fired twinkies all came about in simpler, less crowded and less complicated times when we were few, everybody knew everybody and what was going on with all the in-jokes...

As good a case of nutshelling as I've ever seen, Christmas-A-Holic!

As stated the earliest iterations of this continuing and ever building saga and Binger's Operas were housed in two former Christmas forums.

The first of these (going back an estimated ten to twelve years now) was lost due to a business transaction. Only archived fragments remain. Sadly, nothing is left of the other one after it was burned to the ground by a wreckless owner. Most of us managed to get out and land here and/or Christmas Talk.