Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Radio & Audio (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   2012 Christmas/Radio Holiday Programming & Schedules (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42501)

KWasser 09-10-2012 12:22 PM

2012 Christmas/Radio Holiday Programming & Schedules

With the permission of RadioJonD:

It's time for the Sixth Annual "Christmas/Holiday Radio Programming & Schedules" thread!

2007 * 2008 * 2009 * 2010 * 2011

This thread will keep track of stations airing seasonal programming.

Many commercial broadcast stations will become “Your Official Holiday/Christmas Station” in November. Some may even start in October!

Likewise, many Public Radio Stations will air special programming for the entire holiday season, starting with Halloween and Thanksgiving themes. Personally, I like these type programs because they explore music other than the top 100 or so Christmas tunes that commercial broadcast radio wear out every year. (NOTE: these are RadioJonD's words from last year, but they match my own thoughts!)

As you learn of stations making the switch to all Christmas, post ‘em here. List the station call sign, frequency and city. Also be sure to include a station link, especially if they stream their audio online! Here are a couple of starting places that list as many all Christmas stations as they can:

http://www.100000watts.com/specials.asp (it's blank for right now, but hopefully soon...)

http://www.web-radio.fm/christmas/ (includes broadcast and online stations)

Sirius XM and their associated Satellite TV channels should be included here too!

I’m hopeful that folks in other countries will research and post all Christmas radio/audio related content with station links so that we may partake! I still haven’t developed a method for researching sites such as BBC Radio of the UK.

Christmas music is going to start showing up on the airwaves more and more in the days to come, so let's talk about it here!

xmas365 09-10-2012 04:40 PM

Thank you for starting this thread, I look forward to it every year.

aleighanne 09-18-2012 08:10 PM

Last year sirius had a Bing Crosby channel that played the old Christmas shows he did. LOVED THEM!

KWasser 09-19-2012 03:24 PM

Music Choice 2012

Once again, Music Choice will be offering festive Christmas music on their "Sounds of the Season" channel (available on many cable packages).

Click here to see their full 2012 schedule.

Similar to last year, the schedule this year is as follows:

Saturday, September 22nd to Sunday, October 7th: Ocktoberfest

Monday, October 8th to Thursday, November 1st: Halloween

Friday, November 2nd to Sunday, January 6th 2013: Christmas music!

I love that they play Halloween music on November 1st (that holiday does need one more day, it feels like), and Christmas music lasts till Jan. 6th! That way you get your full "12 Days of Christmas" starting on Dec. 25th! :)

KWasser 09-19-2012 04:15 PM

Okay, Labor Day ended a couple weeks ago, and it's usually shortly after Labor Day that radio stations start advertising for Christmas concerts. I remember last year Trans Siberian Orchestra was coming to town in Mid November, and they started advertising the day after Labor Day! Accompanying these Christmas concert advertisements are sometimes signs of when the station is going to switch formats and switch over the Christmas music 24/7!

Post in this thread if your local radio station has begun advertising for Christmas concerts (or other Christmas festivities)!

I'll start with this:

Last year, KFKF, Country 94.1, in Kansas City, Missouri started advertising around this time last year for Trans-Siberian Orchestra and started promoting themselves as "K.C.'s All-New Christmas station!" (marking this as the first time they've switched over the Christmas music).

A brief look at their website now, and we see this year they're advertising for Christmas concerts for Martina McBride, The Oak Ridge Boys, and yes, Trans-Siberian Orchestra is coming to town again! Also, I notice they're advertising themselves as KC's ONLY Christmas Station!" (apparently all the other stations that have gone Christmas in previous years, have changed formats).

http://imgsrv.kfkf.com/image/DbLiteG...8/11268030.jpg

Spyells 09-22-2012 03:48 AM

Well, in the Southern California area, Kost 103.5 plays Christmas music the whole month of December every year. I don't know if anyone's ever mentioned it. :dance:

RadioJonD 09-22-2012 10:52 AM

Public Radio Stations

Thank you, KWasser, for throwing out the first :snowball: for this year's radio equivalent to the evermore popular TV Christmas Specials/Schedules !

Don't forget to start exploring 2012 Christmas Specials/Schedules from public radio stations as well! For me, this is where the best programming will be!

This will be the first year for me to fully appreciate my DAR.fm account. Last year I went ahead and sprung for a premium account and was able to record both of my favorite twenty-four hour marathon Christmas shows (more to come in this thread about those) in their entirety! Now that I understand better and realize that 50 gigs worth of memory is way more than I anticipated, I hope to record a ton more programs from other (mostly public) radio stations!

:???: (Okay, Now I'm excited! Thanks again, KWasser!)

Keep those Yule Grooves coming!

RadioJonD 09-22-2012 10:58 AM

iHeart Radio

If your local commercial broadcast radio station is one owned by Clear Channel, iHeartRadio may be the best bet for finding their Christmas programming. I haven't created an account or explored there but I'm sure there is a search feature to find Christmas music/stations.

RadioJonD 09-22-2012 11:08 AM

Christmas Across the Lands 2012!

Host Randy Sherwyn has the annual "Christmas Across the Lands" program for 2012 in the can! Many stations across the US and beyond will air this twelve hour program.

In addition to the 2012 demo sample, one can listen to a stream of the entire 2011 program at the above website! One can listen through TuneIn Radio as well! (I've got it saved for taking mobile as a favorite station in my TuneIn smart phone app.)

I've been keeping up via the CAL FaceBook Page.

RadioJonD 09-22-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyells (Post 465332)
Well, in the Southern California area, Kost 103.5 plays Christmas music the whole month of December every year. I don't know if anyone's ever mentioned it. :dance:

Yep! KOST has made previous lists! Don't forget to update us when Christmas music starts this year, Spyells! Include a listen link if KOST has one.