Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Black Friday (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   question about stores opening on black firday early (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45360)

christmas87 11-12-2012 08:41 AM

question about stores opening on black firday early

since wal mart and alot of other stores will be opening up early this year will the stores be open before that or that is what time they are opening?? like wal mart i know they are open 24 hours but for thanksgiving and black friday will they stay open 24 hours or close and open at 8pm??

Jeff Westover 11-12-2012 08:55 AM

Walmart will be open (the Supercenter stores, at least) but you cannot buy their specials until the advertised time. Target will NOT be open until 9pm Thanksgiving night. So it all differs by store.

made582 11-12-2012 08:55 AM

It depends on the store. Most stores will close the night before and then reopen. Kmart will be open for awhile on Thanksgiving day and then they will close to restock and open again. Then there are some stores like Meijer here in the Ohio valley that will stay open the whole time.

MerryCarey 11-12-2012 11:02 AM

Note that it also depends on the state---here in Massachusetts, by state law, retail stores may not open on Thanksgiving, and their employees may not work in the store on Thanksgiving. So some stores here don't open until 1 a.m. on Black Friday, because employees can't start working until after midnight to prepare the store for opening.

GingerMel 11-12-2012 01:00 PM

I like that law!

nmc42088 11-12-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerMel (Post 480167)
I like that law!

I like that law too!

nmc42088 11-12-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryCarey (Post 480146)
Note that it also depends on the state---here in Massachusetts, by state law, retail stores may not open on Thanksgiving, and their employees may not work in the store on Thanksgiving. So some stores here don't open until 1 a.m. on Black Friday, because employees can't start working until after midnight to prepare the store for opening.

Merry,

What about pharmacies? Just curious because I work at CVS in NJ

MerryCarey 11-13-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmc42088 (Post 480352)
Merry,

What about pharmacies? Just curious because I work at CVS in NJ

Not sure whether that would be considered retail or convenience store (I'm guessing retail). Here's how it usually goes on Thanksgiving in Massachusetts (cribbed this from the Boston Globe):

Retail stores: Closed.
Liquor stores: Closed.

Supermarkets: Closed.

Convenience stores: Open at owner’s discretion.

Taverns, bars: Open at owner’s discretion.

Banks: Closed.

Stock market: Closed.

Municipal, state, federal offices: Closed.

Libraries: Closed.

Schools: Closed.

Mail: Post offices closed; express delivery only.

nmc42088 11-13-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryCarey (Post 480918)
Not sure whether that would be considered retail or convenience store (I'm guessing retail). Here's how it usually goes on Thanksgiving in Massachusetts (cribbed this from the Boston Globe):

Retail stores: Closed.
Liquor stores: Closed.

Supermarkets: Closed.

Convenience stores: Open at owner’s discretion.

Taverns, bars: Open at owner’s discretion.

Banks: Closed.

Stock market: Closed.

Municipal, state, federal offices: Closed.

Libraries: Closed.

Schools: Closed.

Mail: Post offices closed; express delivery only.

wow. I really do think that law is a good idea though. My store is open our normal hours on Thanksgiving (7a-10p) but the pharmacy closes at 5 so if anyone needs prescriptions they are out of luck. I think we should close when the pharmacy closes.