Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saving Money (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Saving strategies (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51790)

Mrstoots 08-28-2013 02:39 PM

Saving strategies

What are some of the strategies you use to save money for Christmas? Christmas club? Setting aside a certain amount of money from each pay check?

As for myself, I purchase a $20.00 Walmart gift card every month starting in January and on top of that I save up all my quarters and dimes. They really add up!

Festive Spirit 08-29-2013 03:28 AM

You are so right about spare change adding up, it's a great way to save without a big impact on your monthly budget.

I like to put away a few every month. It's nice to have it at the end of the year. It may not be enough to cover everything but it sure does help! I have never done the christmas clubs because over here they are a bit limited.

I like your idea of saving on a giftcard for one of your favourite shops. How pleasing it must be to have this to put toward your shopping!

I also save up my loyalty points and use them toward christmas shopping. One of the shops offer double the value of the points coupons for christmas so for e.g last year I had about 50.00 worth to use toward gifts for the kids!

ballcoach 08-29-2013 04:13 AM

We have Christmas Club at our bank. They take an amount out of our bank every week. Plus, every time I come home I have a cup that I put all my change in. Thats usually 3 or 4 dollars a week and it add up quick.

xmastidings 08-29-2013 04:49 AM

I signed up for a Christmas Club at one of the Savings and Loans near where I live. Then I went to my employer and set up an automatic deposit into that account for every payday.

It really adds up by the end of their Christmas Club year, which is around the second week of October. Most of the time, I will not have to use the credit card at all.....

BoxerMom 08-29-2013 09:45 AM

I usually start taking money out each week and put it aside. I also try to buy gifts throughout the year on sale so it does not seem as if I am spending too much at one time. I ram probably spending the same amount but it makes me feel better..lol :lol:

Courtney 08-29-2013 07:49 PM

I earn gift cards through a search engine company, and I let the gift cards add up and then I use them for online shopping w/free shipping. I love it, and it really helps keep costs down.

trackrebel 08-30-2013 01:42 AM

What is christmas club?

Minta 08-30-2013 08:16 AM

We have a christmas club account that I put money into monthly.

All year I check out sales and clearance racks/tables. Found some great gifts and stocking stuffers items that way. Right now I am around 25% done Christmas shopping :dance:

Minta 08-30-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackrebel (Post 550872)
What is christmas club?

It's a short term savings account at the bank. It's only good for a year, usually starts in Oct and ends at the beginning of the following Oct. By mid Oct the bank will send you a check for what ever money you put away in the account during the year. Most people use that money to buy Christmas gifts with.

made582 08-30-2013 08:47 AM

When I was working, I would sit down at the beginning of the year and make out a budget. I would plan what every paycheck I would get was for and then write it on the calendar on the corresponding paydays. The goal was to always have the 2 paychecks in November free for Christmas shopping.

Since I am in charge of my mom's finance's, I do it the same way for her.