View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,680 Times in 881 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
Quote:
Originally Posted by judesmama View Post
My go-to healthier sweetener is agave, for sure! It has a lower glycemic index, which eliminates the "sugar rush." As it becomes more popular, I've found it everywhere from Target to Trader Joes to even Marshalls and TJ Maxx!!

If you are interested in using agave in your baking, I found this really helpful conversion chart from madhavasweeteners.com:

Agave Nectar is sweeter than sugar, so you can use less!
Substitute 2/3 cup agave nectar per 1 cup sugar.
Compensate for the moisture in the agave nectar by reducing other liquids added by 1 FL OZ per 2/3 cup agave used. Or, estimate the moisture to be approx. 20% of the agave used. If the recipe calls for no liquid, add 3-5 Tbs. (22.5 – 37.5g) of flour for each ¾ cup (180 mL) of liquid sweetener.
To avoid overbrowning, oven temperature should be reduced by 25 deg. F and baking time increased by 6% to compensate.
Thank you for this conversion chart. I bought some agave syrup and was unsure how to use it for baking. I have been using honey and raw sugar in the past few years in my breads, but am always trying to improve recipes for better health. One thing I will never try again is trying to make my Christmas cookies healthier. My kids almost had a bird the year I did because they tasted really bad. It's so much a part of our tradition and it's once a year. If we die a little sooner, we'll die with a smile and a couple of red and green sugar crystals on our lips! Tee hee!

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.”
Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momnan30 For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (06-03-2011), Christmasstar (06-04-2011), Meceka (06-19-2011)