View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,271 Times in 2,303 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Roy's Record Room - Several Stations Alberta, Canada

Subby over at the Fa posted this perfect example of the type seasonal programming I seek each year! Thanks Stubby! I'm especially looking forward to the 78 rpm show! It's bound to have something I've never heard!

"My friend, Roy Forbes, just posted the schedule for Roy's Record Room this month.

It's Monday nights (6 PM Mountain time, it says) on CKUA in Alberta, Canada and runs an hour. I'm lousy with time zones, but DAR was great when I had it (they closed my free account for lack of use or something--clearly, I don't have the time I used to).

Roy has an incredible collection, especially 78s.

December 9: Snowbound (songs about winter, cold, snow, etc.)
December 16: Shellac Shack Santa (all Christmas 78s)
December 23: The Night Before The Night Before Christmas (cute title)

Roy usually does something on a Sunday close to Christmas on the CBC network, but it often tends to be a last minute thing and I don't get much notice. He used to do a New Years morning program on the CBC that was some of the best (non-Christmas) radio listening I've ever encountered. I'm not an early riser, by any means, but I used to get up at 6 to catch it. I particularly remember a very rare very early Neil Young instrumental 45 he played one year. Anyway, that's Roy's known sked for the month, if you're interested."

Thanks Stubby! Definitely a DAR catch!

From CKUA's webpage:

FM Frequencies:

Athabasca 98.3
Banff/Canmore 104.3
Calgary 93.7
Drumheller/Hanna 91.3
Edmonton 94.9
Edson 103.7
Fort McMurray 96.7
Grande Prairie 100.9
Hinton 102.5
Lethbridge 99.3
Lloydminster 97.5
Medicine Hat 97.3
Peace River 96.9
Red Deer 107.7
Spirit River 99.5
Whitecourt 107.1

Other:

SaskTel 855
Shaw Direct (Star Choice) 828 or 492
Telus Optik 7046

Plus an online listening link!

It’s December! 'Tis the season on Roy's Record Room - time to dip into my large pile of Christmasy, wintery records.

This week, we’ll have an hour’s worth of tunes about winter, snow, frost and other chilly things, featuring cuts from Claudine Longet, Esther Williams & Ricardo Montablan, Slim & Slam, Sarah Vaughn, Stompin' Tom Connors, Clifford Gibson, Bing Crosby, the Impressions, Merle Haggard and more.

That's Monday, December 9th - 6pm Mountain Time - we’re Snowbound on Roy’s Record Room – the show that unravels and celebrates the music of Christmas past, to repeat the sounding joy.

Note that this will be first of a Triple-R Trilogy, dedicated to winter and Christmas records. On December 16th, we’ll have a visit from the ol' Shellac Shack Santa for an hour of Christmas 78s. Then on December 23rd, we'll run at all three speeds for The Night Before The Night Before Christmas. Tune in to all three wintery, Christmasy RRRs for some holiday fun.