Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Holiday Health, Fitness & Nutrition > Vitamin Supplements » Possible Bone Health Benefits of Strontium

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,087
Threads: 53,915
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,650)
Welcome to our newest member, DoYouHearWhatIHear

Old 08-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

Rob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elf
santahat Possible Bone Health Benefits of Strontium

Strontium a supplement probably most people are not familiar with may help keep bones strong, and resistant to fracture. Strontium is a naturally occurring mineral, in the same family as calcium and magnesium, and itís been shown to promote bone growth in both animals and people.

In a 2002 randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, 160 post-menopausal females who did not have osteoporosis were asked to take placebo or varying amounts of strontium daily. Compared to the placebo group, women who took 340 milligrams strontium a day had a significant increase in bone mineral density in two yearsí time. All groups also took 500 milligrams of calcium daily

In another recent study, 353 women who had already experienced at least one osteoporosis-related vertebral fracture took varying levels of strontium ranelate or a placebo. In the group who tool 680 milligrams of strontium daily, there was a 3% increase in lumbar bone mineral density per year, significantly greater than placebo. At the end of the second year of the study, there was a significant decrease in fractures in the strontium group compared to placebo.

Calcium inhibits the absorption of strontium. If you choose to use supplemental strontium it is very important not to take it at the same time that you take calcium containing supplements or even eat calcium rich foods. Therefore, avoid bone support supplement formulas that contain both calcium and strontium. Take calcium at night and strontium in the morning
Itís also suggested you get at least the RDI of calcium and vitamin D3 for best results. Suggested dosage is 680 mg a day.

As always, do your own research and decide for yourself if strontium might be something you want to try.

My Christmas Friend
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (06-04-2014)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,761 Times in 9,571 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I thought I have heard of every supplement out there. This is one I never heard of! Thanks for sharing this info.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Rob (08-26-2011), snowflake22 (06-04-2014)