Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Saving Money How can you do Christmas on a budget? From coupons to make-do ideas this area discusses all aspects of the economically responsible Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,096
Threads: 53,978
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,477)
Welcome to our newest member, K31E

Old 08-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Merry Forums Newbie

Mrstoots has shown a merry disposition
Saving strategies

What are some of the strategies you use to save money for Christmas? Christmas club? Setting aside a certain amount of money from each pay check?

As for myself, I purchase a $20.00 Walmart gift card every month starting in January and on top of that I save up all my quarters and dimes. They really add up!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrstoots For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (08-29-2013), made582 (08-30-2013), Mumof2 (10-11-2013), snowflake22 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,638 Times in 1,569 Posts
Festive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the Wisemen
You are so right about spare change adding up, it's a great way to save without a big impact on your monthly budget.

I like to put away a few every month. It's nice to have it at the end of the year. It may not be enough to cover everything but it sure does help! I have never done the christmas clubs because over here they are a bit limited.

I like your idea of saving on a giftcard for one of your favourite shops. How pleasing it must be to have this to put toward your shopping!

I also save up my loyalty points and use them toward christmas shopping. One of the shops offer double the value of the points coupons for christmas so for e.g last year I had about 50.00 worth to use toward gifts for the kids!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
made582 (08-30-2013), snowflake22 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,585 Times in 4,606 Posts
ballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We have Christmas Club at our bank. They take an amount out of our bank every week. Plus, every time I come home I have a cup that I put all my change in. Thats usually 3 or 4 dollars a week and it add up quick.

Have glove will travel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballcoach For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 04:49 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,854 Times in 2,189 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
I signed up for a Christmas Club at one of the Savings and Loans near where I live. Then I went to my employer and set up an automatic deposit into that account for every payday.

It really adds up by the end of their Christmas Club year, which is around the second week of October. Most of the time, I will not have to use the credit card at all.....

The Bell Still Rings for me,
as it does for all who truly Believe!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (08-29-2013), made582 (08-30-2013), snowflake22 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

BoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry disposition
I usually start taking money out each week and put it aside. I also try to buy gifts throughout the year on sale so it does not seem as if I am spending too much at one time. I ram probably spending the same amount but it makes me feel better..lol
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BoxerMom For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (08-29-2013), made582 (08-30-2013), Mumof2 (10-11-2013), snowflake22 (08-30-2013), Yuletide Junkie (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,124 Times in 694 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
I earn gift cards through a search engine company, and I let the gift cards add up and then I use them for online shopping w/free shipping. I love it, and it really helps keep costs down.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,844 Times in 3,809 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
What is christmas club?

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 161,725 Times in 30,776 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
When I was working, I would sit down at the beginning of the year and make out a budget. I would plan what every paycheck I would get was for and then write it on the calendar on the corresponding paydays. The goal was to always have the 2 paychecks in November free for Christmas shopping.

Since I am in charge of my mom's finance's, I do it the same way for her.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!