Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Shopping > Saving Money » If you plan on going High Def (HD) this season...

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Saving Money How can you do Christmas on a budget? From coupons to make-do ideas this area discusses all aspects of the economically responsible Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 53,975
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,477)
Welcome to our newest member, TAlbritto

Old 10-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

Mr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elf
star If you plan on going High Def (HD) this season...

I'm no expert, but I have been reading that the price of HD items (flat screen TV's, blu ray players) may be declining with the coming season (especially around Black Friday). If you decide to make the plunge into the HD realm this season... do yourself a favor and check out this site for different accesories you may need.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

If you buy a high def TV, you're going to need HMDI cable to get the full effect of High Definition viewing. In a nut shell, an HDMI cable allows for greater audio/video signal transfer between high definition accessories. I try to draw the comparison like this... an old analog cable is like drinking something through a skinny red coffee stirrer where a HMDI cable is like drinking through a big fat McDonald's milkshake straw. HDMI cables can be quite expensive. I know that at places like Best Buy and even WalMart your standard HDMI cable can cost you between $30 - $50 dollars. At monoprice you can get an HMDI cable (go for the 1.3a cables) for about $5 - $6. Actually they are having a special today on 3ft red cables for 85 cents... anyone who has purchased HDMI cables in the past can tell you, this is a steal.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Another item that I purchased here at a great savings was the wall mount for my LCD TV... I think I paid around $25 for the mount to hold a 46" TV (prices vary)... they wanted about $170 for the same thing at Circuit City.

I've used this site 3 times in the past and have never had a problem and always received my items rather quickly. I also know quite a few people through other forums who use this site and recommend it highly.

Just a disclaimer... I have no affiliation with this place and I checked with Jeff before making this post. I'm just trying to help some people save a few dollars the way I was helped... and I also wanted to point out that if you are lucky enough to nail an HD TV for a great price on Black Friday... you also have to consider some additional purchases along with it (a la cables & wall mounts).
CharlestonNole (10-23-2008), HolidayHoney (10-23-2008), Jeff Westover (10-23-2008), Ms_Speedy_Elf (10-23-2008)

Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

HolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnog
Thank you, this was very helpful to me as I am looking for a new TV right now, I am trying to wait in hopes of an even better deal though!!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
Thank you .This info may just come in handy for us ,as our tv went out a couple week's ago . We are currently using my son's tv until we can get a new one.

Question...do you still need this HMDI cable if you have cable tv?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I'm holding onto my 20 year old 27" tv as long as I can. Personally, I don't see the appeal of the all the High Def stuff...I've seen the demos in store and I really didn't see much of a difference at all. Maybe it's just me, my DH is drooling over some of the stuff but even he admits that there are still gliches in the HD systems.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,986 Times in 2,436 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Thanks, Mr. Walker. Great post!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

Mr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elf
Originally Posted by Ms_Speedy_Elf View Post
Thank you .This info may just come in handy for us ,as our tv went out a couple week's ago . We are currently using my son's tv until we can get a new one.

Question...do you still need this HMDI cable if you have cable tv?
I'll try and answer as simply and straight forward as I can.
If you have cable TV you might not "need" an HDMI cable (and alot of that may depend on your cable provider).
Most of the new HD TV's have 'tuners' which will allow you to take that black coaxial cable that comes from the wall and 'screw' it into the connection on the back of the TV. Depending on your cable company... this may allow you to receive a number of HD Channels for viewing. If you use a digital box from your cable company, most of them have an HDMI output, so in that case to experience HD TV to the fullest, an HDMI cable would be recommended (black wire from the wall into the cable box - HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV). Usually a cable company will make you use a digital box (and a digital package) to receive all of their HD Channels (you might be able to get some of them without the digital box and a package, but usually not all of them)
*I hope I'm not losing you...
Keep in mind that only HD Channels are going to give you that full HD picture. For example, if you watch CBS on your standard CBS channel (in my area I have Comcast and this would be Channel 2)... it's going to look the same (or possibly a bit grainier) as if I was viewing it on a regular TV (that's because the high definition television will expose the lack of detail that is broadcast on a standard definition channel). But if you tuned into the CBS HD channel (for me it's channel 233 or something like that) you will find a the picture that you paid this money for.

It can be confusing, so let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Sunshine73 View Post
I'm holding onto my 20 year old 27" tv as long as I can. Personally, I don't see the appeal of the all the High Def stuff...I've seen the demos in store and I really didn't see much of a difference at all. Maybe it's just me, my DH is drooling over some of the stuff but even he admits that there are still gliches in the HD systems.
Like I said above, if you buy a HDTV and watch your regular broadcast channels on it, you will be disappointed in the picture. Some HDTV's can improve these standard channels a bit, but for the most part what you put in is what you get out and if you are viewing HD Channels (once you get all those settings on the HDTV tweaked to your liking) you just might see a big difference. There's times when my wife will sit down on the couch and watch football, not because she like it, but because the picture is so amazing.

I don't want to come off like a big HD Cheerleader. I was very lucky and circumstances conspired to allow me to get into all this jazz. I just wanted to share the info because I'm sure there are some fellas (as well as some ladies who may be shopping for some fellas or for themselves) who might take the plunge this Christmas.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Keeper of the Yule Goat

CharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the Wisemen
I will say be careful if you are considering buying blu ray. The players come in three different profiles 1.1, 1.2 and Final Profile BD Live. Some of the discount players may be the earlier profile 1.1 and may not have the full functionality of the final profile. Be sure to check.....
Old 10-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,303 Times in 610 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
!

Agreed
Old 10-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by CharlestonNole View Post
I will say be careful if you are considering buying blu ray. The players come in three different profiles 1.1, 1.2 and Final Profile BD Live. Some of the discount players may be the earlier profile 1.1 and may not have the full functionality of the final profile. Be sure to check.....
Nice point.
I'm spoiled with our playstation 3... which is easily updated through the internet.