Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,944
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,111)
Welcome to our newest member, TeamYANTSU

Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,061 Posts
ChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by MsChristmas View Post
Well to be honest I dont particularly love running but I LOVE the way it makes me feel.. I usually run on the treadmill 3-4 times a week nothing too serious but enough to tone and I hope keep me semi healthy... its funny how when I was on vacation last week how much I missed my treadmill though and this week I only ran twice and I felt so out of shape from taking off the week and eating horrible! UGH LOL Im glad to be back into my routine
Oh...it is so true. When you start a running routine - when you get away from it for whatever reason, you end up really missing it!

As long as we know in our hearts what Christmas ought to be, Christmas is."
~ Eric Sevareid

Old 05-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

ChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by irishsnow View Post
I used to love running but since I broke my leg and put on weight I find it really hard to get going again.

My leg has healed 100% but my fitness is crap at the minute and I get frustrated that I cant run like I was able to
Its hard coming back from an injury. I'm so sorry that you had broken your leg!

Have you tried a walking routine to start? I know its difficult coming back from an injury - but maybe starting slowly you can work your way back to where you once were. Just a thought.

~ Eric Sevareid
Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by RachRon View Post
I started running in November and then completed the couch to 5k program in April, however I have since developed a horrible case of shin splints that I cant seem to get under control. Running is great and I am hooked on it I just wish I get rid of the shin pain.
I hope you are able to get rid of that shin pain! I know that if I do not warm up and strentch my shins before and after I run, I will suffer from shin splints as well. Its terrible when you get them - as it hurts with every step you take! What type of warm up/cool down and stretching do you do to help prevent this?

~ Eric Sevareid
Old 05-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
Good idea Christmasstar, it does rev your heart up if you add a jog with your walk.

ChristmasHeart, the most I have ran so far is a little over 2 straight miles. I can't seem to get past that yet but not giving up. When I entered the 3k over a month ago I did run most of it but walk a little. Same here, not for weight loss but just to FEEL BETTER!

I want to run a 5k but if I wait too long it will be just too dang hot over the summer to run one. I will have to wait until the fall.

I'm about to put on my running shoes and go for a run shortly! =)
I hope you had a good run! I did well yesterday running 2.4 miles. It doesn't look like I'm going to be doing any running today (Friday) as it is currently 2:15am and I have been awake since 12:30am. UGH! Well...at least its Friday!

Have you noticed...I LOVE this particular topic!

~ Eric Sevareid
Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

RachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elf
Originally Posted by ChristmasHeart View Post
I hope you are able to get rid of that shin pain! I know that if I do not warm up and strentch my shins before and after I run, I will suffer from shin splints as well. Its terrible when you get them - as it hurts with every step you take! What type of warm up/cool down and stretching do you do to help prevent this?
Thanks I usually do wall stretches of my calfs and also a stretch where I let one leg hang off a step until it stretches my calf out those are the stretches I found online about dealing with shin splints .And I always start out with a 5 minute walk before and after every run
The Following User Says Thank You to RachRon For This Useful Post:
ChristmasHeart (05-27-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,868 Times in 9,588 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by irishsnow View Post
I used to love running but since I broke my leg and put on weight I find it really hard to get going again.

My leg has healed 100% but my fitness is crap at the minute and I get frustrated that I cant run like I was able to
Maybe you could get some water shoes and run back and forth in the swimming pool. I would believe it would be less stress on the legs.

Of course you could talk to our "Jedi Master", Rodmonster, in the Ask a Guru thread. He has a lot of experience in the work out department.

Originally Posted by ChristmasHeart View Post
I hope you had a good run! I did well yesterday running 2.4 miles. It doesn't look like I'm going to be doing any running today (Friday) as it is currently 2:15am and I have been awake since 12:30am. UGH! Well...at least its Friday!

Have you noticed...I LOVE this particular topic!
Sorry I am just now getting back to you. I just have not had much time to catch up on everything in the past several days and still busy!

I hope you were able to get some running in and I am glad you love this topic! If you take a look at "Journal of Progress" thread you will see what I was able to do today.

Come join us there and post your progress!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:32 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
I started trying to run a few years ago. I have some medical issues that prevent me from running in long bursts. I love the feeling of it, it's such a rush! I can't keep up for more than a song or two on my MP3 before my body feels like it's going to fall apart. I managed to run six and half laps around the relay for life track last year, but I borrowed my friend's ten year old son and somehow managed to keep up to him. I think it was the sponge track and my Saucony shoes that helped and the fact that I was running for cancer survivors. Shame I can't seem to run for myself. I still give it a whirl a few times a week before or after my other workout.

I have tell y'all a funny story about the first time I felt like running around the track above the spin cycle room at the local gym where I train 5-6 days a week ... it was about five years ago and I was on a treadmill - going a good pace - when a song popped into my diskman and I felt like running. I got off the treadmill and started around the track, I was impressed by my speed - I felt like I was a super hero running as fast as lightning - then a heckler voice inside my head yelled, "Run Forrest! Run!" I burst out laughing and nearly popped a rib.

Trust me, don't listen to your heckler voice, it could be dangerous.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,383 Times in 801 Posts
brittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companion
Well.... Last year i jogged 5 days a week for 45 mins at a time.. stopped in july...and hadn't jogged again till ohhh 2 days ago.
I love jogging... have since I was about 13. I stopped last year because well.. you know the ole oh i've lost enough weight now... so I can lay off jogging for a bit & maybe eat a couple cookies here and there and before you know it... Boom back to square one. So Needless to say, after jogging 2 days in a row.. i am very sore.. ALL OVER. i decided to take the day off today, seeing as i am incredibly sore so i figured some rest for my legs was in order! Tomorrow i will jog again.
glad to chat in the health Section!!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,868 Times in 9,588 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by brittd19 View Post
Well.... Last year i jogged 5 days a week for 45 mins at a time.. stopped in july...and hadn't jogged again till ohhh 2 days ago.
I love jogging... have since I was about 13. I stopped last year because well.. you know the ole oh i've lost enough weight now... so I can lay off jogging for a bit & maybe eat a couple cookies here and there and before you know it... Boom back to square one. So Needless to say, after jogging 2 days in a row.. i am very sore.. ALL OVER. i decided to take the day off today, seeing as i am incredibly sore so i figured some rest for my legs was in order! Tomorrow i will jog again.
glad to chat in the health Section!!
Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,383 Times in 801 Posts
brittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companion
went for a jog yesterday and did about..50% better than the last two days!! jogged a way longer distance and my legs aren't nearly as sore.. I know it's going to take time.. but I am so excited to see my results!!
The Following User Says Thank You to brittd19 For This Useful Post:
ChristmasHeart (07-31-2011)