Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food > Entrees » Garlic Mashed Potatoes (or plain mashed if you donít care for garlic)

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 54,008
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy

Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
present Garlic Mashed Potatoes (or plain mashed if you donít care for garlic)

Garlic Mashed Potatoes (or plain mashed if you donít care for garlic)

3 pound red or Yukon gold potatoes (I like the red)
1 whole bulb of garlic peeled
1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream (I like the heavy cream)
1/2 cup butter
salt and pepper

Paprika
Cooking spray

Clean all potatoes (leave the skins on)
In a large pot bring potatoes to a boil (make sure your water covers all the potatoes and use cold water)
Once boiled turn the heat down a bit and let the potatoes simmer until they are done (this can be about 20 to 25 minutes Ė you want them tender enough to put a fork through them)
Drain the potatoes and put them back on low heat so even more water evaporates. Watch them do not let them burn.
In a sautť pan spray bottom & sides (cover completely)
Take all your peeled garlic cloves and over medium heat slightly brown garlic Ė once tender and browned mash them and set aside

Melt butter
Heat cream (just make it warm)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Paprika for garnish

In a large bowl or in the pot you cooked the potatoes in; I usually use the pot I cooked the potatoes in makes it easier to clean up. Pour your melted butter over the potatoes and with a masher or potato ricer mash butter & potatoes, add garlic and slowly add cream, salt, and pepper. Sometimes I donít use all the cream and sometimes I do as you are mashing you decide if you want them creamier add it is it looks and feels right donít. Also the garlic is optional in a sense you can do this recipe without the adding the garlic for really special creamy potatoes or add less or more garlic this is to taste and I should note I love lots of garlic!!!! After you are done mashing put it a serving bowl or platter, Iíll put a few extra pats of butter and sprinkle with paprika for color.

I just love this recipe - I got the idea from a cooking magizne don't even know which one but I have improvised added my own amounts and type of potatoes I like and how to include the garlic. I like to cook the garlic a lot of recipes call for uncooked or pressed garlic, I like the subtle flavor of cooked garlic. I also love to sprinkle paprika it is festive and adds a nice touch.

Courtney (08-09-2011)

Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,127 Times in 696 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
They sound delish!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Sounds very yummy!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,243 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Sounds great! Tell me how I would use turnips for it. You mentioned that I could make mashed turnips and I'm dying to know.

Oh and I use a very similar recipe to this one except that I roast the garlic in the oven (cut off tops entire heads of garlic, add olive oil onto cut end, wrap in foil, about 45min at 375F) and I add Boursin cheese to them as well. Also, I use about 5 heads of garlic per 10 pounds of potatoes so they are EXTREMELY garlicky but I've never had any complaints!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by GingerMel View Post
Sounds great! Tell me how I would use turnips for it. You mentioned that I could make mashed turnips and I'm dying to know.

Oh and I use a very similar recipe to this one except that I roast the garlic in the oven (cut off tops entire heads of garlic, add olive oil onto cut end, wrap in foil, about 45min at 375F) and I add Boursin cheese to them as well. Also, I use about 5 heads of garlic per 10 pounds of potatoes so they are EXTREMELY garlicky but I've never had any complaints!
Ginger - I I love roasted garlic I don't know why I have never thought to use it in my mashed potatoes. That is an awesome idea, as for cheese at Thanksgiving I add Asigo (not sure if that is the right way to spell it) - it is a white cheese I use the hard kind and grate it up real fine & toss in as I mash. I love garlic so I will need to try this recipe too I want to have that nice roasted flavor - I cannot wait to try it and this Boursin cheese I will need to find it here and try that too - how exicting.

OK the turnip - you peel and cut the turnip up as best you can - I use the yellow turnip (so it is really a rutabaga) don't worry if they aren't all the same size just so long as you cover them all in water - also use cold - boil them up drain them and add melted butter - mash (I use a ricer to mash) then add cream - these are both really to tase but for a one pound turnip I would use about a 1/4 cup of butter & cream. Salt & Pepper to tase - paprika for garnish - once my girlfirnd tossed on some parsley it was so festive!!! I sometimes make them ahead and then bake in the oven cover about 20 minutes - just until hot enough to eat!!! Gives it a nice crunchy top!!! Oh and don't be shy add cheese if you want - never hurts - tee hee
Old 08-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,243 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I bet Asiago is great in the potatoes!

For Boursin cheese...it's a very soft goat's milk (I think) cheese that has some herbs and stuff in it. I get it at Kroger in the specialty cheese section. If you watch in the time leading up to the holiday you can usually get them 2-for-1! They keep for more than a month so it's good to plan ahead. It's difficult for me to resist eating it though. hah hah.

About the turnips...that sounds great! I'm totally going to try it. I have a potato ricer so I'll probably use that.