Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,438
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Santa Clause 2...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:11 PM
0 Posts
A Christmas Tree for...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:19 PM
55,416 Views  0 Posts
Zero Liability Season's...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:46 PM
47,835 Views  0 Posts
The Snow Maiden
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:51 PM
62,677 Views  0 Posts
That's How You Eat Gravy
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:42 PM
46,016 Views  0 Posts

Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,562 Times in 1,457 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
ornament Pork Crown Roast

Pork Crown Roast

Ingredients
  • 8 - 10 pounds pork rib roast (about 10 to 14 ribs)
  • 2 tbsp fresh thyme (or 2 tsp of dried)
  • 2 tbsp fresh sage, (or 2 tsp of dried)
  • 2 tsp dried savory
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar (dark or light)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste (I’d say 1 tbsp salt, 1 tsp pepper)
  • 4 garlic cloves (pressed/diced/or mashed)
  • olive oil (any kind)
  • 1 or 2 small / medium apples (cut into slices) I like Macintosh
  • 1 small Spanish Onion (chopped or diced as small as you can get it)
  • 2 stalks celery (chopped & diced as small as you can get it)
  • Cooking Spray
  • Apple Nut Stuffing (recipe below)
Directions for Crown Roast
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Set rack so the roast will fit in your oven.
Spray roasting pan with cooking spray (cover sides and bottom)
In the roasting pan mix together your thyme, sage, savory, brown sugar, salt, pepper, mashed garlic, onion, celery, and about a ½ of a cup to a whole cup of olive oil (any kind).
When you order your crown roast see if your butcher will prepare it (and keep the scrapes) for you. This is a messy job and you really need the right tools to prepare it, I know I do not have them as you need a boning knife to get those “crown cuts.
Take your prepared roast and rub into the meat (note I tried this do not marinate this over night – just trust me on this), make sure you completely rub all over the roast (bones and all). Now you are going to create the “crown effect” (some butchers may even have done this for you when they prepared it – that is awesome for those that are not so lucky here are the instructions. Take you roast (sometimes I do it in the pan sometimes I need more room to work so I pull it over to my counter – depends) and I take the ends with the bones on the outside and have the ends meet, some say to use cooling twine, for some reason I never remember to keep it around so I have been known to use toothpicks to hold them together, but the twine is so much better because you can wrap it around the entire roast to keep it formed in a nice crown. If you took it out of the pan you are ready to put it back in. I will take the butcher scrapes and toss into roasting pan.
Now at this time you might say why didn’t I make the stuffing, but you need to have the roast at room temperature before putting it in the oven (something I learned from Food Network – one of the Chefs said most roasting meats cook better at room temperature – who knew so now that is how I do it.) If I know the day will be crazy I will make the stuffing a day (or two) ahead (but no more than two days).
I didn’t forget those two apples sliced up save them for later…
Apple Nut Sage Stuffing
Ingredients
  • 10 slices of whole wheat/multi-grain/oatmeal style bread cut/ripped into large size pieces or 5 cups of bread cubes
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • ½ tsp sage (dried)
  • ½ tsp thyme (dried)
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • ½ tsp of cinnamon
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 1 large Spanish onion, sliced/diced as small as you can get
  • 4 to 5 medium to large apples, peeled and diced (bite sized) – any kind you like for baking
  • ½ cup of dried cranberries
  • 2 cups of crushed nuts (I like the flavor of pecans so I use them)
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 ½ cups of chicken broth
  • Cooking Spray
Directions
In a frying pan (spray bottom & sides with cooking spray) heat over medium heat and butter, sage, thyme, nutmeg, cinnamon, and parsley. Once butter is melted add onions and cook until caramelized (lightly browned and softened). Remove onion and put in a mixing bowl add salt & pepper. In pan place the apples and the nuts sauté until nuts are toasted and apples slightly cooked (you may need one more tbsp of butter that is OK – but only if you need it/trust me you’ll know). In the bowl you put the onions in add eggs, cream, and broth, mix together. Add bread, apples, and nuts, mix thoroughly (use a spoon).

Stuffing your roast
Your roast maybe ready to stuff by this time so feel if it is room temperature if is go ahead and fill the cavity with the stuffing or wait until you it is ready. Keep some of the roast on the side and bake for a ½ hour in oven – you will use this on your serving platter (if you have extra slices of apple place some on top, and/or some extra cranberries, add a little cinnamon too if you want or extra nuts).
Once you filled the cavity place those sliced apples (you remember them right) over the stuffing. Now you will want to cover the stuffing and each tip of your rib bones. You roast this in the oven for 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours (depending on how many times you open the oven door/you actual oven/etc.) If you have a meat thermometer use that as a guide remember never stick it by the bone. During the last ½ hour remove the cover over the tips and stuffing to brown.
I also was told an old wives trick of cooking roasts never open the oven during the first hour of cooking, you can break the flavor seal, so I never open that door during the first hour. Once your roast is done, you roast should rest for a minimum of 30 minutes before slicing.
You can make lovely gravy with bisto and the dripping I highly suggest this!!!
Place on a heated platter and take some of the stuffing you baked separately and put around the outside of the roast, maybe add a few dried cranberries too for color.
This make a beautiful presentation make sure you let everyone see it before carving so you get the ooohhhhh, and aahhhhhhsssss.

Carve this using a carving fork and knife hold the fork over the rib tip and carve down between the ribs – you can slice the stuffing or scoop the stuffing.