Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Shopping > Gifting » Having "no-thought" in a gift is more annoying than "re-gifting"

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Gifting Need ideas? Brainstorm here with others about what to give for him or her!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 53,976
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,477)
Welcome to our newest member, TAlbritto

Old 09-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Spyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elf
Gift 2 Having "no-thought" in a gift is more annoying than "re-gifting"

I received a terrible gift from the girl who use to be my best friend. She was the kind of person who was somewhat selfish. She wanted everyone to like what she liked.

She bought me a Simple Plan CD because she loved that kind of music. I hate that kind of music. (I'm not bashing their music or anyone's music taste by the way, lol) I prefer R&B, Hip-Hop or Gospel (I don't like Rap). She did ask me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her I wanted a new R. Kelly CD. However, my mom ended up buying it. So I told my friend to get something she knew I would like.

She knew my favorite color was and still is orange, she knew I loved Christmas, she knew I loved Disney, she knew I loved Harry Potter, and I have always been a huge Kingdom Hearts fan. And I still love all these things which I've mentioned. But even though she had this knowledge, I still received a shock when I went to her house and she opened my present before she gave it to me, only to find a Simple Plan CD.

But to add insult to injury, she took the CD from me and burned it to her laptop, played the DVD it came with, and frowned when I asked for it back to take it home. Here response was, "Oh," and a frown. (we were in middle school by the way).

Every time I received gifts from her it was like this. She would always buy gifts she liked instead of considering the other persons interests. But I've always taken gift giving so seriously. I pay attention to details. I listen to what the person I'm giving a gift to talks about, I make note of their favorite colors, I pay attention to their favorite animals (she really loved frogs so I bought her an adorable frog wallet and necklace that she fell in love with), and what they wear. Basically I pay attention to a persons likes and dislikes. This is why I hate gifts that are either re-gifted or are actually bought for the giver and not the receiver. The gifts have no thought behind them. If it's being re-gifted I feel that you just gave it to someone just because you didn't want it. If you buy something you want, you aren't buying a gift for that person but for yourself.

If you're giving someone a gift even if it's just coffee or hot chocolate, be sure it's something the person will enjoy. I had a friend in college who couldn't go a day without her coffee, so I bought her this adorable holiday instant coffee kit. It had all kinds of flavors and she loved it. But this is because I pay attention to people. Some people don't seem to understand that when you buy or make a gift for someone it should come from the heart.

When God gave us Jesus, he gave us the greatest gift of all by giving us salvation. God put the best thought that anyone could give into a gift. So why is it, that some of us can't put the necessary thought into our gifts? Why can't some people learn to give something meaningful?

By the way, I'm 20 now and that girl and I are no longer close friends. And I hope I didn't offend anyone because I know there are "re-gifters" on this site. Thanks for reading my rant.
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11 KJV

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spyells For This Useful Post:
hilarios (10-03-2011), Yuletide Junkie (09-30-2011)

Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,926 Times in 9,602 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Sounds like when Homer gave Marge a bowling ball as a gift and she doesn't bowl, he does! =)

I have a story to probably top yours but it involved a boyfriend of nearly 9 years that gave me gifts to benefit him! You would think a boyfriend would know your likes and dislikes. One year I got a Cinderella CD (80's hair band). He knew I didn't care for them and as soon as I opened it he played it all the time! Then he took me, as a surprise for my birthday, to an Ozzy Osbourne concert with Motley Crue as an opening act. He knew I wasn't a fan of either, but he was. I am not bashing their music but it's just not what I care for.

Ok, don't mean to bash him too much because he did give me some really nice gifts too but for the most part he didn't pay attention to what I really adored. I really stayed with this guy for that long???

I do get what you're saying! When it's a best friend or a significant other you would hope they know your likes and dislikes and pay special attention to that. You know if they give you something you like that they really listen to you and know you well and it doesn't have to cost that much either. It is a selfish act to give you a gift that they want and not you. It's like giving your best friend a lawn mower and they live in apartments. Then your best friend who gave you the gift borrows the lawn mower because they own a house with a lawn.

If you receive a gift from someone you don't know that well you should be very thankful even if it's something that is not of interest to you because it's the thought that counts. I do appreciate all gifts I receive from people I don't know well even if it's not an interest of mine because how are they to know my likes and dislikes! You do expect better from someone who should know you real well.

My husband pays close attention to my likes and always gives me something that I love. It does not have to be pricey but very special to my heart!

As far as re-gifting I don't have an opinion either way. I don't re-gift but for those who do might have certain circumstances that works for them. =)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
hilarios (10-03-2011), Spyells (10-01-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Spyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elf
Wow, that sure does top my story. Lol!

However, I did have an ex who gave me a bad gift. I personally don't feel men should buy me clothes, you know unless I'm married and he probably knows my size. Now in his defense he was trying to be helpful because he knew I was in college and I couldn't afford to go shopping. But I'm a plus size girl, I'm a size 18/20. I would rather he had given me a gift card to Macy's or Lane Bryant so I could pick my own clothes.

Every time he took me to the store he would walk me over to the men's section and ask if I needed anything. I don't wear men's clothing (unless it's a t-shirt like Disney or plain) but I do wear men's tennis shoes (but not when I was on dates with him, I wore heels for goodness sake!!!) And I told him DO NOT BUY ME CLOTHES!! And you know what he buys me for Christmas?

MENS MICKEY MOUSE PJ's!!!

So not only was I offended, but the pants were too tight in all the wrong places and too loose in all the right ones, and I was uncomfortable because of the large opening for men to use the restroom. =/

He didn't listen to me. I mean I'm glad he got me something Disney but he was supposed to listen to what I wanted, I mean after all he was supposed to be my boyfriend. =(
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11 KJV

The Following User Says Thank You to Spyells For This Useful Post:
hilarios (10-03-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,926 Times in 9,602 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
In my case I have to wear mens pajama bottoms because they do not make the womens bottoms long enough for my legs. The womens always go above my ankle. It's so annoying! At least a lot of the mens pj's are gender neutral.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
hilarios (10-03-2011), Spyells (09-08-2013)
Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,243 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I don't know...if someone regifted something to me and it was something I'd like, I wouldn't mind. That's the only time I've ever regifted...when I've thought "wow, so-and-so would really like this a lot more than me!"
hilarios (10-03-2011), Spyells (09-08-2013)
Old 10-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Mistletoeologist

hilarios has shown a merry dispositionhilarios has shown a merry dispositionhilarios has shown a merry dispositionhilarios has shown a merry dispositionhilarios has shown a merry disposition
I am guilty of re-gifting.... Never for Christmas though! ..Mostly for wedding gifts for people that I wasn't particularly fond of...
Old 10-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

I have never re-gifted. But if I ever do give something to someone because I don't want it, I wouldn't give it to them for their Christmas or Birthday. I would just give it to them as something nice. But I usually save gifts people give me even if I don't like them. I assume it came from the heart so I feel that it wouldn't be nice for me to give the gifts away.