Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Christmas Radio & Audio » 2011 Christmas/Holiday Radio Programming & Schedules

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Radio & Audio Discussions of Christmas on tape or disc, playing on the radio or uploaded here at MMC.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,128
Threads: 54,233
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,523)
Welcome to our newest member, jaystar

Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by xmas365 View Post
WDRC 102.9 in Hartford made the switch a few weeks ago, and they are playing stuff that you just don't hear on other stations. i.e. "Father Christmas" by The Kinks, "Christmastime Is Here Again" by the Beatles, another song called I think it is called "I Believe in Father Christmas" I cannot think of who sings it though among others. It is from what I believe their first year going all Christmas, and thankfully they have shied away from the cookie cutter stuff the other 3 stations around here play. It has made me listen to them the most.
I think "I Believe in Father Christmas" is done by Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, if that's the same song I'm thinking of. Greg Lake doing the vocals.
xmas365 (12-14-2011)

Old 12-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by Storeytime View Post
I think "I Believe in Father Christmas" is done by Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, if that's the same song I'm thinking of. Greg Lake doing the vocals.
Here's a place where you can see their playlist and the aritst that does the song. They list it as Greg Lake, but I'm sure it's the whole band.
http://tunein.com/radio/1029-DRC-FM-s28332/
xmas365 (12-14-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
I’ve been remiss on posting anything in this thread lately. I assume folks have been checking in at One Hundred Thousand Watts for commercial stations playing all Christmas. At post time there are 370.

A search turns up a few public radio stations holiday programs now as well. I’ve not posted each of them as in years past mostly from like of time and little reader interest. Believe me, this is where the good stuff is tough! You will find Alabama Public Radio's schedule a page or three back.

I’ll also make the annual appeal to swap “sound checks” of any of your locally produced public radio station music program Christmas shows for mine. I will in turn try to record the four local shows on Alabama Public Radio for any takers (zero for four years).

I’ve also been kind of waiting for WXPN in Philadelphia to announce the 18th Annual “Night Before with Robert Drake” but haven’t seen a mention. Last year’s announcement for this excellent Twenty-Four hour marathon Christmas show came on November 9. Maybe that show was the last?

But, the bomb of Twenty-Four Christmas music marathon shows is on at WPRB from Princeton, New Jersey! Jon Solomon will be back for the twenty-fourth annual show! This is where I spend a lot of time on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. The chats are always fun! Make you plans now!

From the web page, Jon says:

Hello December!

I wanted to give several weeks’ warning that I will be doing my 24th Annual 24-Hour Holiday Radio Show on 103.3 fm WPRB / wprb.com starting this Christmas Eve at 6:00 pm ET until Christmas day at 6:00 pm ET.

If you would like to submit music for airplay or make some requests, by all means get in touch.

I will now pull something in my back moving records up from the basement, as is tradition.

You can RSVP for the show on Facebook.

The studio webcam and live listener chat will go live here come the afternoon of December 24th.

Thanks.
Happy Holidays (eventually)!

Jon Solomon
[email protected]
So, are you saying to record the local PBS Christmas shows and then swap files with you for Alabama's local show?

I think I can handle that. I always record hours of the regular show, which is the station I posted above. Is MP3 the best format for long recordings like that?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,271 Times in 2,303 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Yes Sir. Mp3 takes up less space on the hard drive. Heck, if you still have an audio cassette deck hooked to your stereo system, that will work too!
The Following User Says Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Storeytime (12-14-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

WBOI-FM 89.1 & 94.1 - Fort Wayne, Indiana USA

This is a perfect example of public radio local flavor! My pal, Rob is doing two Christmas shows for WBOI-FM in Fort Wayne, Indiana. You have heard me rave about and I've directed you to Rob's Christmas Yule Blog many times over the years. He is a collector of the Christmas odd and obscure and is most generous to share out of print records at his blog that he finds here and there.

Make plans now to tune in! And if you make contact with Rob, tell him I sent you!

To:
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 10:15 AM
Subject: A subtle reminder

Dear friends,

If you don't already know, I will be on the radio playing selections from my Christmas music collection.
And I didn't have to bribe or sleep with anyone in order to do it!

For more info, click here:

http://www.nipr.fm/common/more.php?m=15&r=2&item_id=249

Look for the "LISTEN LIVE" button - you can stream it online!

My radio shows will be:

Monday, December 19th
Wednesday, December 21st

7 PM to 9 PM (eastern)
6 PM to 8 PM (central)
5 PM to 7 PM (mountain)
4 PM to 6 PM (pacific)
2 PM to 4 PM (Hawaiian)

Every half-hour is a different theme so you get eight mini-shows over four hours.
Or an hour of entertainment spread out over four. Your pick.

Hope you can tune in... and please forward this to anyone you know who appreciates Christmas music as much as all of do - a strange and wonderous group, we are. Have a Merry Christmas one and all!

Rob Martinez
aka CaptainOT
made582 (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 11:30 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

WAAM 1600 AM - Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Shameless Plug!

Okay, now that I've pluged Rob's show, I'll plug my own.

The first of two "Mistletoe Mix" Edition of the "Greasy Skillet" radio shows will hit the airwaves and internet at 4:00 am Eastern Time in the morning, December 18, 2011. Play lists are already posted at the GS FaceBook Group page. If I'm not too busy Christmas shopping for you, I'll include the lists in a note on my FB page too.

Tune in to Talk 1600 WAAM, Ann Arbor, Michigan or via at http://www.waamradio.com/music .

"Greasy Skillet" runs as part of "Thayrone's Saturday Night Rockin' Rhythm Review" which begins at 6:00 pm ET and features six two hour shows to which you simply must listen! (I'm the only host without an accent!)

Stay up late or get up early! Don't forget to tell both of your friends!

Jonathan, aka RadioJonD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (12-17-2011), Seawaters (12-17-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that if you like big band Christmas music, the Charlie St. George (the old Sarge) show is on Sundays on this link; http://www.knct.org/

I think his show is called The Memory Maker. Good mix of big band Christmas music and stories.
RadioJonD (12-18-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 06:57 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

The 18th Annual The Night Before on XPN

...I’ve also been kind of waiting for WXPN in Philadelphia to announce the 18th Annual “Night Before with Robert Drake” but haven’t seen a mention. Last year’s announcement for this excellent Twenty-Four hour marathon Christmas show came on November 9. Maybe that show was the last?...
Drake is back with an online listen link!

From the webpage:

24 nonstop hours on the 24th day of December!

From midnight to midnight December 24, 2011

Robert Drake here – excited to once again host The Night Before on XPN!

It was 18 years ago when WXPN came to me, with those puppy-dog eyes, hoping that I'd fill in on December 24. Seems no one was available, and in those days before digital, you needed a body to oversee any programming. So, I agreed - as long as they gave me complete freedom to spin an aural web of sounds of the season - direct from my collection of holiday tunes. What they didn't know was that I had already developed a fascination for Christmas songs. Not the burnt cookies anyone can hear up and down the dial in December. My collection was chock-full of unique nuggets - some not given the light of day for decades.

So, they agreed to give me three hours and I delivered. The three hours went to four - which went to six and then to twelve, to celebrate twelve years of tradition! In 2007 management asked what I planned to do to top my 12-hour marathon the previous year. I said, how 'bout 24 hours?! After checking my pulse and temperature - just to be sure I wasn't babbling under some illness - they agreed. So, for the last four years, I've been on the air for 24-nonstop hours.

Make request on The Jingle Line at 215-573-WXPN
Storeytime (12-20-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

XPN Night Before in Progress at post time!

In progress! If you join in chat or otherwise make contact with Robert, tell him RadioJonD sent you! I've been in the chat room and will log in again during the day.

http://xpn.org/hohoho

Drake is back with an online listen link!

From the webpage:

24 nonstop hours on the 24th day of December!

From midnight to midnight December 24, 2011

Robert Drake here – excited to once again host The Night Before on XPN!

It was 18 years ago when WXPN came to me, with those puppy-dog eyes, hoping that I'd fill in on December 24. Seems no one was available, and in those days before digital, you needed a body to oversee any programming. So, I agreed - as long as they gave me complete freedom to spin an aural web of sounds of the season - direct from my collection of holiday tunes. What they didn't know was that I had already developed a fascination for Christmas songs. Not the burnt cookies anyone can hear up and down the dial in December. My collection was chock-full of unique nuggets - some not given the light of day for decades.

So, they agreed to give me three hours and I delivered. The three hours went to four - which went to six and then to twelve, to celebrate twelve years of tradition! In 2007 management asked what I planned to do to top my 12-hour marathon the previous year. I said, how 'bout 24 hours?! After checking my pulse and temperature - just to be sure I wasn't babbling under some illness - they agreed. So, for the last four years, I've been on the air for 24-nonstop hours.

Make request on The Jingle Line at 215-573-WXPN
Old 12-24-2011, 09:56 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

In progress! If you join in chat or otherwise make contact with Robert, tell him RadioJonD sent you! I've been in the chat room and will log in again during the day.

http://xpn.org/hohoho
Robert's show is over half done!

Jon's show starts in six hours!

Anyone else from the Merry Network tuned in?