Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,469
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,864)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-18-2011 01:41 AM
64,360 Views  0 Posts
Old Man Kramer
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:46 PM
Last post by caninemomssister
11-24-2013 09:13 PM
1 Posts
Presentblue Black Friday 2012: The...
By Jeff Westover
11-23-2012 05:13 PM
48,663 Views  0 Posts
Saving More By Christmas...
By MMC Editor
09-08-2011 11:50 PM
74,928 Views  0 Posts
Gift 2 The History of My Merry...
By Jeff Westover
10-12-2002 09:20 PM
58,518 Views  0 Posts

Old 01-15-2012, 05:24 AM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,408 Times in 809 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Music as a motivator

The best work outs I have happen as a result of the music that inspires me. The same can be said for the worst workouts. I have two MP3 players that work with my headphones. Sometimes, I use the instructor's music player to operate my discs. Now and then I replace spinning bike instructors and lead the group fitness class. The crowd likes most of my music too.

What type of music motivates you to work harder and longer?

Here's a sample of various song compilations that keep me moving (some are used for warming up or cooling down, while others are used for recruiting muscle or increasing cardio ...

Straighten Up and Fly Right
Mack the Knife
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
Hooked on a Feeling
Stroking
I'm too Sexy
Headin' for the Light
Wheel in the Sky
Ain't Got No Money
All Right Now
Feelin' Alright
Check on It
Low Rider
Too Much Time on My Hands
Shine a Little Love
No where with You
Takin' Care of Business
Lookin' Out My Back Door
The 6-teens
Eye of the Tiger
Danger Zone
Born to be Wild
I Like it Like That
Easy Living
All the Young Dudes
Slow Ride
To Be a Lover
Blinded by the Light
Magic Carpet Ride
Old Time Rock and Roll
In The Summertime
Ride My See-Saw
These Arms of Mine
Footloose
Johnny B. Goode
Come and Get It
I Drove All Night
Renegade
The Music
Sweet Child 0' Mine
Mama Talk to Your Daughter
Iko Iko
Jambalaya on the Bayou
Kiss You All Over
Another One Bites the Dust
Kinda Yellow
Here Comes the Hotstepper
Get My Party On
Pretty Woman
It's Closing Time
SWITCH
Doo Wah Diddy
Bad Moon Rising
Come on Feel the Noise
The Kid is Hot Tonight
Under the Boardwalk
Who Can it Be Now
Tears of a Clown
Rumble in the Jungle
Turn the Page
Wipe Out
Black Betty
Waiting for a Star to Fall
In the Air Tonight
Maneater
Bat out of H_ _ _
Cradle of Love
Hang on Sloopy
Golden Years
Lean On Me
We Will Rock You
Do You Love Me?
La Bomba Sexy
Sister Golden Hair
Can't Take My Eyes off of You
Never Gonna Give You Up
Beautiful Life
Into the Fire
My Sharona
Born to Run
Ballroom Blitz
Bad Case of Loving You
Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu
The Dock of the Bay
Lively Up Yourself
Conviction of the Heart
Proud Mary
Do You Realize
You Sexy Thing
Free Bird
Drift Away
Peace Train
Lead Me On
You're the Inspiration
Light My Fire
Streets of Philadelphia
Sweet Home Alabama
Twilight Zone
Here It Is
After Midnight
Howlin' Wolf
Tears in Heaven
Hallelujah
Beautiful Sunday
Patches
The Green, Green Grass of Home
Stayin' Alive (yes, I admit it)
Take a Chance on Me (disco - I know)
You Make me Feel like Dancing
Gin and Juice
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
Even the Nights Are Better
Listen to the Music
Shake Your Tailfeatha
Tonight's The Night
Last Song
End of the Line
Louie, Louie (comic relief at the end of my workout)
Celebrate Me Home
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
etc.

So what gets your groove on?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (01-22-2012), Christmasstar (07-19-2012), sugar142286 (01-21-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,898 Times in 9,104 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
The gym I belong to plays a loop of the same music ALL DAY LONG! It irritates the heck out of everyone, even the manager! It comes from the main headquarters and no one can change it. They should at least cover all genres of music but they just stick to whatever the top songs are of the time. That is fine but they really need to mix it up some and add in a little of what everyone likes.

That is why I bring my mp3 player. It is all Beatles music. I only have 2 gb of space and doesn't even fit all their music in it. I guess that would be a constant loop of the same band but I got over 100 of their songs on there (not all of their music fit). I need a larger file to add in other types of music as well. Something I plan to buy soon!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
AuntieMistletoeDear (01-22-2012), caninemom3 (01-22-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:08 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
What a coincidence! Check this out from NPR!

When I find time I'm going to compare Auntie's list to theirs.
AuntieMistletoeDear (01-22-2012), sugar142286 (01-21-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 45,554 Times in 7,292 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Auntie - love that you included Billy Idol and the Doors in your list!

My list varies and since I do not have an Ipod or it's equivalent, I listen to regular CDs. Currently my workout music of choice is the soundtrack to Burlesque. Other favorites include:

Shakira - Laundry
Rob Zombie - Greatest Hits
Kylie Minogue - X
Billy Idol - Greatest Hits w/remixes
Grease - OST
Chicago - OST

There seems a magic in the very name of Christmas ~ Charles Dickens
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meceka For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 05:57 AM

Last Achievements

AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
The gym I belong to plays a loop of the same music ALL DAY LONG! It irritates the heck out of everyone, even the manager! It comes from the main headquarters and no one can change it. They should at least cover all genres of music but they just stick to whatever the top songs are of the time. That is fine but they really need to mix it up some and add in a little of what everyone likes.

That is why I bring my mp3 player. It is all Beatles music. I only have 2 gb of space and doesn't even fit all their music in it. I guess that would be a constant loop of the same band but I got over 100 of their songs on there (not all of their music fit). I need a larger file to add in other types of music as well. Something I plan to buy soon!
I don't have any Beatles music on CD, I have an old cassette somewhere around here. The fitness centre at our gym has the local radio station on, but most of the cardio machines have plug-ins for your music or you can watch TV, you can even charge your cell phone while you work out. I prefer my tunes for sure. Although some of my music would pop up on a local radio dial, I don't wait around for it. The stuff in between isn't very motivating. I can't understand the folks who just watch TV or read magazines while they work out.

Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
What a coincidence! Check this out from NPR!

When I find time I'm going to compare Auntie's list to theirs.
A few of mine popped up, but not many. Some of those songs, I've never even heard about.

Originally Posted by Meceka View Post
Auntie - love that you included Billy Idol and the Doors in your list!

My list varies and since I do not have an Ipod or it's equivalent, I listen to regular CDs. Currently my workout music of choice is the soundtrack to Burlesque. Other favorites include:

Shakira - Laundry
Rob Zombie - Greatest Hits
Kylie Minogue - X
Billy Idol - Greatest Hits w/remixes
Grease - OST
Chicago - OST
I have one of Kylie's songs on my playlist too along with a couple of other Billy Idol tunes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (01-22-2012), Meceka (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 AM
North Pole's RN

Last Achievements

Thanked 77,942 Times in 13,403 Posts
sugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thanks for everyone including your songs. I don't have one particular song or songs that I listen to, but I would say that I listen to certain genre of music. I listen to country, rock, and 80's. It keeps me moving and whatever is playing, I workout!

The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.
- Burton Hillis
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sugar142286 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by AuntieMistletoeDear View Post
I don't have any Beatles music on CD, I have an old cassette somewhere around here. The fitness centre at our gym has the local radio station on, but most of the cardio machines have plug-ins for your music or you can watch TV, you can even charge your cell phone while you work out. I prefer my tunes for sure. Although some of my music would pop up on a local radio dial, I don't wait around for it. The stuff in between isn't very motivating. I can't understand the folks who just watch TV or read magazines while they work out.
I actually sometimes just like to watch TV when I workout or sometimes complete silence. That is why it bothers me that the gym insist on playing the same loop all day long and loud. Sometimes it actually drowns out my mp3 player! They do have a couple of tv's but the volume down with the caption on. My mother workouts at the gym with me. She cannot workout without her mp3 player. She has a lot of hip hop on hers along with Al Green, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye and a few others.

My mom is 69 years old and runs circles around me!!! She works out a full hour and a half 4 days a week. She loves the elliptical machine and can seem to stay on that thing forever! (you can tell I'm proud of her taking such good care of herself!). Okay, I got off topic for a minute, back to music! =)

It is Bally's that I am a member of and LA Fitness bought them out. My mom and I went to visit another location of LA Fitness and they actually play a variety of music of all genres and all from all generations. I am not selfish, they don't have to play just what I like but hey, throw in a little something I like! This gym did play music I liked and a few songs I didn't but that's okay! This gym also has the plug in to watch tv. The one I joined don't. I am now thinking that the old Bally's might change up since LA Fitness bought them out.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 AM

Last Achievements

Your mom sounds like some of the long-term members who I try and keep up with, not realizing I was as competitive as I am.

I work out on my own three days a week and in a group fitness class the other three days. Sunday is my day of rest. When I'm taking a spin cycle class, I watch the legs of the other riders and I'll start off by matching my speed to someone with similar ability and determination and then halfway through, I look for legs in the mirror that are working faster and harder than mine and I step it up a notch. If the instructo plays music that is similar to my style, I work out much better than when they play other types of music.

There's a woman a bit older than your mom that I see nearly every day and she walks the treadmill while she reads magazines. She's observed a few of the classes I was leading and said she loved my music and some of it she used to hear when she was doing aerobic classes back in the early 90's. I worked out without my music twice because I didn't realize the battery needed to be recharged. It wasn't as good of a workout as usual.

I know what you're saying about the volume being too loud to hear your tunes from your MP3 player. My volume must be pretty loud because a guy on the arc machine next to mine asked, "you're working out to Jambalaya on the Bayou? You're going to hurt." Guess my volume is louder than I realized. Hope I don't wind up with hearing problems down the road.

The Following User Says Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

That is what I worry about with the volume on my mp3 player. I don't like it too loud. Got to protect that hearing! This coming from someone who has seen the loudest concerts in the world in my teens and early 20's! Kiss was the loudest. My ears rang for 3 straight days. Not good! I remember their slogan was, "If it's too loud, you're too old". I didn't realize they really meant that until I saw them. I guess I was too old in my early 20's. Ha ha! Most concerts were metal and hard rock. I have seen others like KC and the Sunshine Band, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and a few others that didn't blast it that loud. =)

Back to the music that motivates us. Like I mentioned my file is too small so I switch sometimes from Beatles then take that off and put on another set I have. The other set of music varies from hip hop, country, opera (only 1 song, Time to Say Goodbye, Bocelli), disco, rock, etc. I love all kinds of music. I don't listen to a lot of country music but I am a die hard fan of Patsy Cline, Queen of Country!

My mom said her workout is not as good without music either. I guess I just like to change it up sometimes and not listen to anything. Most of the time I need music. Depends on my mood. =)

I have seen Spin Cycle classes at my gym. That is one heck of a workout! I should try it sometime.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 AM

Last Achievements

I saw KC in concert too. I've been to a few concerts, but none of them were extremely loud. Sure would love to see Springsteen one of these days.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (01-22-2012), Christmas-A-Holic (01-22-2012)