Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Countdown » The History of Carl, The 'Pines, and Fired Twinkies

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Countdown Presented by Merry Holidays, this area is devoted to anticipating Christmas. This home to the world famous Christmas Countdown where thousands of posts are made as the daily watch for the coming season is marked. It is a grand and festive Internet tradition carried on here after years of celebration.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,233
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,523)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

snowberry has disabled reputation
I can't believe i've been missing out on all this fun. Serves me right for staying away so long.

snowberry

Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Little Snowflake
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,156 Times in 254 Posts
Cetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Finally I know what you all are talking about! Thank you so much.
Whenever there is happiness, hope youíll be there too. Wherever there are friendly smiles, hope theyíll smile on you. Whenever there is sunshine, hope it shine especially for you. To make each day for you, as bright as it can be. from Ireland

Best Regards, Mona
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cetacea For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-09-2012), snowflake22 (06-07-2012)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,593 Times in 750 Posts
Kimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnog
Originally Posted by Cetacea View Post
Finally I know what you all are talking about! Thank you so much.
Ditto!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 19,006 Times in 3,072 Posts
gabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa envious
OMG a camel with narcissistic tendancies...you can't beat that!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,049 Times in 257 Posts
lilnoelelf is a good elflilnoelelf is a good elflilnoelelf is a good elflilnoelelf is a good elflilnoelelf is a good elflilnoelelf is a good elflilnoelelf is a good elflilnoelelf is a good elflilnoelelf is a good elflilnoelelf is a good elf
Now I know the rest of the story.......................and thanks I'm not so lost anymore!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
[B]Are you wondering who Carl is, what is The 'Pines and what Fired Twinkies are in our Countdown thread?

OK.
I'll try to review the history of some of the more -- well -- interesting characters and places mentioned here in our countdown thread.
Over time, the humor wore a bit thin so Carl was mentioned less frequently. Eventually, he was dropped from the thread for several months until one of our members (Auntie perhaps?) inquired as to his whereabouts.

Carl's personality traits: He's fun-loving, talkative, experimental (primarily with coffee blends of a questionable nature) and -- yes -- a bit vain to the point of narcissism.
Well, there you have it, folks. A thumbnail sketch of an explanation as to what has been going on here.

Bear in mind that Carl, the 'Pines and fired twinkies all came about in simpler, less crowded and less complicated times when we were few, everybody knew everybody and what was going on with all the in-jokes.
Do they have a place here at MMC as we get more crowded, sophisticated and free-wheeling?
I guess time will tell!

For I have stumbled upon my catalogue of his events when he visited my home many upon many merry moons ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (03-08-2012), snowflake22 (06-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
If there was a reality show for document tidbit hoarders - guess I'd be starring in at least one episode ...

Carl facts and tidbits - You know that camels prefer desert conditions and introduction into other climates have proven unsuccessful. They are not as easy to house as llamas and alpacas. Not to worry though, Carl is not a regular camel. Heís more like Santaís magic flying reindeer in how they differ from regular reindeer. The consumption of coffee might have something to do with Carlís ability to adapt to other climates aside from the desert.

He likes his caffeine. That is no surprise since there was a study done once involving three llamas and two camels that were used to determine if they could tell the difference between caffeinated and decaf drinks.They were further used to determine that their immune systems could produce antibodies that are not destroyed at the high temperatures associated with common brewed beverages (also including tea and cocoa - some guesses included eggnog blends).

So the experiment and the fact that Santa gave Carl an extra hump to store his beverages makes him adaptable to various climates and aided with his ability to consume at least a gallon of coffee a day without affecting his health.

I took Carl to visit the llamas nearby. There are four of them, three females and one male. Iím sure it will come as no surprise that Carl fancied one of the females and she fancied him. The male llama started to spit, but soon herded the other two females away from Carl so he could not take over his place among them.

Carl and Clarice caught along quite well. They went for a run in the field together while I chatted with the owners. They were surprised to discover a three-humped camel not to mention one that can dance and drink coffee like itís water.

We left the farm in the late afternoon and Carl wanted to stop at the JavaPlace again to fill up. There was a poetry session in progress. Carl saw my neighbour and his wife drinking pumpkin spiced coffee over near the window at a small booth for two.

He had the Camel Whisperer translate his poem for the crowd.

Carl's poem was featured during a visit to the Shispering Pines in the countdown thread - here it is again -

Ode of a Camel

The obvious plan
To frolic wherever I can.
To dream and to be
To dance Ďcause Iím free
To travel around
Where caffeine is found
To socialize with friends
Where the fun never ends
That is the obvious plan.

Here a few things Iíve noticed about Carl that I feel compelled to pass along:
He drools. He always has a little saliva hanging from his lips. Not too attractive. I gave him a dashing bandana and have taught him to wipe his mouth frequently.

He will test all limits. CedarFarm managed to get him to sleep out in the shed and several of us discovered he moves right in.

He knows how to hold and play cards and apparently learned how to drive although not that well.

He loves to dance and fancies himself a show camel with the ability to dance to different forms of music to amuse various audiences.

He likes any of the female camelids and has a slight fascination with equines. He gets along with most domestic pets as long as he knows they are there. If he is spooked, he tends to spit - just ask OíMalley the cat.

When he gets wet from the rain or melting snow, he smells worse than a dog that was sprayed by a skunk, but you get used to it.

He is fun to have around. He is sociable and outgoing - likely the caffeine keeps him moviní.

He eats the saltier and more bitter plants and bushes that other animals would find less tasteful, but anything goes at a salad bar.

I have taught him to wipe his feet before coming inside.

There is a little rebel inside Carl, but if he gets you into a jam, heíll likely have the know-how to get you out of it.

Carl loves Christmas. Itís likely because of his encounter with Santa many years ago.

The Pines Camel

There once was a Camel who had three humps
Who learned how to play cards and do funky jumps
Who traveled the world afar
Got a traffic violation when driving a car

By sweat and much molting
He makes coffee blends that are rather jolting
Heís workingí at the Shispering Pines
Where the Playhouse Opera sends shivers up our spines
While Binger works on operas & sipping blends
Others wandered in and created plaid trends.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (03-08-2012), ChristmasHeart (06-06-2012), made582 (06-06-2012), Meceka (03-08-2012), MerryCarey (03-07-2012), snowflake22 (06-07-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,061 Posts
ChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the Wisemen
Ah-ha! Everything you wanted to know about Carl, The 'Pines and Fired Twinkies...but were afraid to ask!

Thank you for this thread...and thank you Made for pointing me to it!

As long as we know in our hearts what Christmas ought to be, Christmas is."
~ Eric Sevareid
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristmasHeart For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (06-07-2012)
Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,941 Times in 3,823 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
thx to Snowflake22, who gave me link for this thread....I now know about it.....I always thought the Pines was a time and place where You guys meet to chat online or something....lol...

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-22-2013)