Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations > Lights & Decorations » To Tinsel or Not To Tinsel...that is the question?!!!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 54,008
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy

Old 09-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Lynn68 has shown a merry dispositionLynn68 has shown a merry disposition
Christmas Tree

Oh my, it seems like I'm the only one who still uses tinsel on my tree. I just love the way it sparkles when the Christmas tree lights are lit up. It's true that it makes a huge mess but I have hard wood floors so it's easy to pick up. And for some reason my cat Garth doesn't seem attracted to it. I don't think I'd like my tree decorated without tinsel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn68 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (02-04-2014)

Old 09-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,045 Times in 377 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
Kitty & Tinsel

Originally Posted by GingerMel View Post
The cats eating it was my reason as well. The first time you see cat poop hanging out the back end of a cat by tinsel it completely loses its magic.
Been there many times over the course of the life of the beast that lived well over a decade. The kicker is the gobbler of the shiny tinsel was named Silver. Our current furry friend doesn't get the chance to repeat history, as we stopped using the decoration for obvious reasons.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by GingerMel View Post
The cats eating it was my reason as well. The first time you see cat poop hanging out the back end of a cat by tinsel it completely loses its magic.
now that is a picture no one wants in there head on a Monday morning!!!! That was the reason I too stopped using it for!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 AM
is waiting for Fall
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,827 Times in 1,097 Posts
MerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to others
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who stopped using it for that reason.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Growing up we put so much tinsel on our tree that you could barely see the lights shining through it - and we thought it was SO pretty!

Hubs and I don't put tinsel on our tree because it gets caught in the motors of our spinning ornaments. We do use beaded garland and some pretty icicle ornaments that give the tree that "shiny" look without having two tons of tinsel piled on.
snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 09-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
Like many others here, we also had tinsel on our tree when I was a kid. Since I've been married, we put garland on the tree a few times, but no we don;t use that either.
The Following User Says Thank You to novelist For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Lacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elf
I've never used tinsel. No particular reason, I've just never bought any.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

Ddeby has shown a merry disposition
I loved it as kid, but I don't use it anymore....not with two cats who seem to think it's a tasty treat just for them. I was never talented enough to get it to look nice anyway....it always looked like a jumbled up ball of silver thrown on each branch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ddeby For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

sublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry disposition
Gotta have my tinsel! I think it gives the tree double the sparkle power. I always put it on with the lights off for two reasons:

1. I can clearly see where I'm putting it for an even distribtuion
2. When I turn the tree on afterwards: WOW!!!! It's dazzling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sublimesting For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (02-04-2014), whitney37354 (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,188 Times in 365 Posts
frostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
we just can't do it with our cat around. He eats stuff like that.