Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food > Recipes » Maple-Brined Grilled Turkey

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,408)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Gift for Men
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:42 PM
57,096 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Cards
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:21 PM
50,889 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-18-2011 01:41 AM
64,266 Views  0 Posts
Gift 2 The Christmas Truce
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 02:24 PM
48,091 Views  0 Posts
Bells Joseph, Mary and Jesus
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:52 PM
63,565 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,341 Times in 12,630 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Maple-Brined Grilled Turkey

This is the best turkey recipe we have used, and we've been using it for the last 15 years! I found it in one of the cooking magazines right after my husband and I met.

Maple-Brined Turkey
The first time I made this, I used the following recipe. Now, I use High Mountain® Game Bird/Poultry Brine

Brine:
6 quarts water
2 large onions, quartered
1 cup coarse salt
1 cup chopped fresh ginger
3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
4 large bay leaves
4 whole star anise
12 whole black peppercorns, crushed
1 13- to 14-pound turkey, giblets discarded

Smoking Stuff:
4 cups hickory smoke chips, soaked in water 30 minutes, drained (we use Jack Daniel’s® smoking chips)
Disposable 9x6 1/4x1-inch aluminum broiler pans

For the turkey while it cooks on the grill:
2 large oranges, cut into wedges
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil

Glaze put on during the last 30 minutes:

3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup mustard (I use Jack Daniel’s Old No. 7)
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter

Rinse turkey inside and out. If using the brine mix, prepare brine according to package instructions. If using the brine recipe, then mix all ingredients in a large plastic container. (We bought an extra, extra large round plastic food container at a restaurant store.) Place turkey in brine, pressing to submerge. Chill overnight, turning turkey twice. (I used to use a Tupperware container that I bought to store lots of flour [about 20 pounds, I think], and I did not have to turn it. Now we use an extra, extra large round plastic food container that we bought at a restaurant supply store.) Mound charcoal briquettes in barbecue and burn until light gray. Carefully divide hot briquettes into two piles, one pile at each side of the barbecue. Sprinkle each pile with heaping ˝ cup Jack Daniel’s® smoking chips. Place empty broiler pan between piles. Position grill at least six inches above briquettes. Position vents on barbecue so that chips smoke and briquettes burn but do not flame. Remove turkey from brine and discard brine. Pat turkey dry. Place orange wedges inside main cavity. Mix olive oil and sesame seed oil; brush over turkey. Center turkey, breast side up, on grill. Cover and cook until thermometer registers 160 degrees F. Every 30 minutes, add 1 cup hickory chips and 6 briquettes to barbecue for about 3 hours. For the glaze, bring all ingredients to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Brush glaze over turkey during the last 30 minutes or so until the glaze is used up. Note: You can go to www.himtnjerky.com to order High Mountain Game Bird/Poultry Brine® for the brine—it is EXCELLENT!!
Christmas-A-Holic (10-08-2012), christmasjingles (10-09-2012), ClaireLovesChristmas (10-08-2012), Courtney (10-06-2012), Holiday (10-08-2012), merrymistletoe (10-06-2012), momnan30 (10-06-2012), XmasDreams (10-06-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,676 Times in 881 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
This sounds amazing!

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.”
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Last Achievements

Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
It is, and the leftovers are so moist!

Originally Posted by momnan30 View Post
This sounds amazing!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,019 Times in 2,872 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
santahat

Hi
Yip sounds good.
But what is whole star anise ??? hickory smoke chips,???
We most likely have another name for them over here
Seawaters (10-08-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,727 Times in 1,305 Posts
Solice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the Wisemen
Mmmm... Sounds good! =]

I have just one (stupid?) question.
What is Brine? Is that putting the tukey in water (and stuff) over night?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

jinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry disposition
Yummy!!! Thanks for the recipe!
The Following User Says Thank You to jinglebellrock512 For This Useful Post:
Seawaters (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Last Achievements

Star anise is a spice that looks like a star. We can get it in the Mexican section of the store. The hickory chips are small chips or pellets that are used on the grill along with the charcoal to smoke the meat.

Originally Posted by shellie12 View Post
Hi
Yip sounds good.
But what is whole star anise ??? hickory smoke chips,???
We most likely have another name for them over here
Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 AM

Last Achievements

A brine is a salted water mixture that makes the meat moist, and I mean moist. We have brined all kinds of meat, even pork chops.

Originally Posted by Solice View Post
Mmmm... Sounds good! =]

I have just one (stupid?) question.
What is Brine? Is that putting the tukey in water (and stuff) over night?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,303 Times in 9,022 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I might have to try this! Thanks for sharing!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Seawaters (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
The title of this post was so eye catching and mouth watering that I had to stop as I was cruising down toward the Christmas Radios section.
I can't wait to try this, sounds wonderful!