Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food » Looking for a stuffing recipe

Christmas Food From eggnog to candy canes to ginger bread and beyond the flavors and treats of Christmas are a delight. Here we engage in all things connected to Christmas foods -- from recipes to how-to's. This section of the Merry Forums is presented by Merry Christmas Recipes, our own database of Christmas recipes, many of which get submitted by our users from around the world.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,973
Threads: 53,444
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,043)
Welcome to our newest member, Norrisrals
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Christmas Pickle
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:10 PM
51,543 Views  0 Posts
Presentblue U.S. Postal Service...
By MMC Editor
10-11-2012 10:37 PM
37,389 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Questions for...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:08 PM
54,645 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Christmas Videos...
By Jeff Westover
12-16-2013 08:10 AM
14,095 Views  0 Posts
Gifting Without Charging
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:03 PM
49,668 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

xmasbug has shown a merry dispositionxmasbug has shown a merry dispositionxmasbug has shown a merry dispositionxmasbug has shown a merry disposition
Christmas Ball 1 Looking for a stuffing recipe

Hey everyone,

I've never made stuffing on my own from scratch before. I would like to give it a try this year. Does anyone have a good stuffing recipe, not too fancy... I think I would like to have cranberries in it. I will be serving about 20-25 people on Christmas Eve, with a 25-30lb turkey.
Solice (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

christmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elf
Originally Posted by xmasbug View Post
Hey everyone,

I've never made stuffing on my own from scratch before. I would like to give it a try this year. Does anyone have a good stuffing recipe, not too fancy... I think I would like to have cranberries in it. I will be serving about 20-25 people on Christmas Eve, with a 25-30lb turkey.
are you looking to do it from scratch like with bread or just looking to make it a different way?? last year i just started making my own.well not my own but my own way.i would use stove top chicken and pepperfarm cornbread.i would make them both with chicken broth and bake it.it comes out very good.
Spyells (10-25-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 AM

xmasbug has shown a merry dispositionxmasbug has shown a merry dispositionxmasbug has shown a merry dispositionxmasbug has shown a merry disposition
From scratch with bread...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
First, asking for a good stuffing recipe is a loaded question. Some people like drier stuffings (think Stovetop). My family makes a very moist stuffing. With just dried bread, eggs (lots of eggs), broth from the turkey, and oysters in their juice. I personally don't do oysters, so I'm not a huge fan. That recipe would not go well with cranberries, so I can't really help.

I made a stuffing a few years ago using White Castle hamburgers. The recipe called for a lot of sage, and that was too much for me, but otherwise it would've been great.

Second, have you cooked such a large turkey before? We used to cook birds that large, but we found that the white meat would be overcooked. We went to a smaller bird with some extra wings or legs in case we needed more meat. Also, it's hard to deep fry a 30 lb turkey!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM

Oh yes! I have cooked large turkeys before, don't recall the meat being too dry but maybe that's the gravy helping matters a bit. Don't plan on deep frying though.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,796 Times in 1,317 Posts
Solice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the Wisemen
Good luck finding the perfect stuffing! =]
Very impressed by the size of this bird!!!!

I just fill my turkey with apples, oranges (one), garlic and prunes =]
Old 10-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,221 Times in 486 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Are you looking for an actual stuffing recipe or a dressing recipe?

I never stuff my bird but I always make a killer dressing. It has fruit in it (apricots but you could use cranberries). I can dig it up if need be (it's not my recipe but I could find it online).
Spyells (10-25-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Like someone said, this is a loaded question. That's why I love stuffing though...it is never done being invented or defined. We discovered one year that we lacked cranberries for our stuffing (a traditional ingredient for us) so we used some slivered almonds and chopped pecans. THOSE then became a traditional ingredient WITH the cranberries going forward.

My wife is a bread maker and we frequently have a turkey that is 25+ pounds (did 32 pounds, our biggest ever, a few years ago). We always cook it inside the bird, something we think makes a difference. Using a mixture of whole wheat and white bread we will toast the bread in the oven briefly before "cubing" it and then mix in eggs, Jimmy Dean Sage sausage, finely chopped celery, almonds and cranberry -- all very, very simple. We will use just enough chicken broth to give the stuffing moisture -- very important to cook it to the right temp inside the bird. The eggs help facilitate this too. You don't want too much broth though as this makes the whole mixture too salty so if you find the mix isn't moist enough use more eggs. It is a simple and tasty recipe. We do use a liberal amount of sage in the stuffing (finely ground, powder-like consistency) as this really gives the nice aroma to the whole thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Mumof2 (10-23-2012), Spyells (10-25-2012), xmasbug (10-23-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

sugarcookie2 has shown a merry disposition
Stuffing

There are so many stuffing recipes,all are delicious.The one i use is,bread cubed then toasted in oven. Add to this sage,basil,salt,pepper,onions-chopped,celery-chopped and cooked sausage(I fry it in butter,nice flavor). If adding cranberries, i would omit the onions.Moisten with melted butter/margarine and chicken broth. Stuff turkey and cook. I rub cooking oil over turkey,salt and pepper also. Large turkeys are not dry,meat is very tender and moist.The trick is to not over cook,Turkey of this size,check after 5 hours. Start temp on high,then turn down.
The Following User Says Thank You to sugarcookie2 For This Useful Post:
xmasbug (10-24-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Last Achievements

Chef Matt has shown a merry dispositionChef Matt has shown a merry dispositionChef Matt has shown a merry dispositionChef Matt has shown a merry dispositionChef Matt has shown a merry disposition
I've tried this one a few times and although I'm not a big fan of stuffing, it turned out ok.

Applesauce Stuffing
Submitted By: RecipeRodeo.com
Recipe Type: Holiday

Ingredients
6 c. dry herb stuffing cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
2 c. applesauce
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth, heated
ž cup butter, melted
Non-stick cooking spray
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch sheet pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix stuffing, onion, celery, applesauce, broth and butter. Roll into golf ball-sized balls. Place on the baking sheet.
Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chef Matt For This Useful Post:
Solice (11-04-2012), xmasbug (11-01-2012)