Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Is there a war on...Happy Holidays?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 53,975
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,477)
Welcome to our newest member, TAlbritto

Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
Someone asked me not long ago if I was offended by Happy Holidays. I said no I'm not. What offends me is people being told they can't say Merry Christmas. Or the PC police trying to change anything that mentions or hints at including Christmas. For instance, schools no longer are on Christmas break. It's called winter break. I guess it's just a coincidence that it happens to fall during Christmas. But I will say happy holidays, seasons greetings, merry Christmas or any other festive thing I feel like blurting out. None of that offends me. Just don't tell me I can't say Merry Christmas! What if it offends me that people are offended by saying Merry Christmas and that saying it has to stop? This could go round and round. You can't please everyone.

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Santa's Helper For This Useful Post:
momnan30 (12-30-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014), trackrebel (12-11-2012)

Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

Manda_panda has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Santa's Helper View Post
Someone asked me not long ago if I was offended by Happy Holidays. I said no I'm not. What offends me is people being told they can't say Merry Christmas. Or the PC police trying to change anything that mentions or hints at including Christmas. For instance, schools no longer are on Christmas break. It's called winter break. I guess it's just a coincidence that it happens to fall during Christmas. But I will say happy holidays, seasons greetings, merry Christmas or any other festive thing I feel like blurting out. None of that offends me. Just don't tell me I can't say Merry Christmas! What if it offends me that people are offended by saying Merry Christmas and that saying it has to stop? This could go round and round. You can't please everyone.
Your post sums up how I feel. It seems like a war on christmas more than just holidays.
The Following User Says Thank You to Manda_panda For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

SpiritOfXmas has shown a merry dispositionSpiritOfXmas has shown a merry dispositionSpiritOfXmas has shown a merry dispositionSpiritOfXmas has shown a merry disposition
I actually quite like the phrase "Happy Holidays" not that you ever hear it here in Ireland. Political correctness has gone beyond the line of rational thinking these days. Just let folks say what they want to say!
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiritOfXmas For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 12-30-2012, 01:14 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
I toss out the odd "Happy Christmas!" just to throw people off now and then. I never had a problem saying, "Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas or "best of the season" to folks I hardly know, but because there has been controversy I seem to say "Merry Christmas" more and more so people know I am celebrating Christmas. In fact, I still wish a Merry Christmas or Happy New Year to folks I haven't seen over the holidays until St. Patrick's Day rolls around and then it's just "hi".

This has been one of my most joyous Christmases in a very long time and I think part of it has to do with the community I reside in where the front page of the local paper reads, "MERRY CHRISTMAS" and we hold an annual old-fashioned downtown Christmas walk and light the town Christmas tree in late November.

Cards and gifts hit the store shelves the first week in November and the local Christmas Bazaars and Craft Shows start up the first weekend in November and music is heard in the stores earlier each year or so it seems.

We have a diverse culture in my city of 54,000 people and my only regret is that we are expected to be "politically correct" in my workplace to the extent that the year before last we had a "holiday social" rather than a staff Christmas Party - this year the tickets read, "Christmas Party" and I was delighted.

I don't expect too much debate on the subject in a Christmas forum where folks gather to celebrate Christmas all year.

Naturally we can't grasp where other people are coming from with their wild ideas that we shouldn't call it a Christmas tree - don't get me going on the "holiday tree" thing.

I read somewhere that there were over 2.1 billion people celebrating Christmas and roughly 6 billion people in the world. I don't think it means that the rest of the billions don't celebrate Christmas in some way or call it something else, but to go to extremes to take the word "Christmas" out of everything associated with the merry holiday is ridiculous in my opinion. I have a few friends who celebrate by exchanging Christmas gifts and still enjoy the traditions of their cultures and they aren't at all offended when I extend merry wishes to them.

To answer the questions, "is there a war on happy holidays"? Sadly there is, but happily it's not going on here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
SinatraClaus (12-30-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)