Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Holiday Health, Fitness & Nutrition » SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Holiday Health, Fitness & Nutrition Whether you're living healthy already or just want to watch the waistline during the holidays this is the place to talk holiday health, fitness & nutrition.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,099
Threads: 53,996
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,616)
Welcome to our newest member, CWilde

Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,872 Times in 2,195 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder

SAD - I learned something about this last night about it, The Christmas blues, being SAD about taking the decorations down, going thru a long winter, etc...it's all very true and it really does exist! Read below:

Recurrent Winter Depression Could Be a Sign of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

The blues are an unfortunate part of the holiday season for many people. Some individuals suffer from depression more acutely during this time of year due to the pain of lost loved ones or from the stress and pressure that Christmas can bring. Others, however, can find no obvious cause for their low mood, or for the reason that their mood seems to lift as soon as the weather warms and the snow melts away.

Individuals who experience these recurrent depressive episodes often show a seasonal pattern, commonly known as seasonal affective disorder, or SAD. Individuals with this subtype of mood disorder appear to be responsive to the total quantity of available light in the environment, with a majority of them becoming depressed in the fall and winter when less natural sunlight is available. Features of SAD include fatigue, excessive sleep, craving for carbohydrates, and weight gain, and individuals with this disorder often show clear disturbances in their circadian cycles, with weaker 24-hour patterns than normal individuals.

Although the cause of seasonal affective disorder is not clear, one possibility is that seasonal changes in light may alter the body's underlying biological rhythms that regulate such processes as body temperature and sleep-wake cycles. Another possibility is that some parts of the central nervous system may have deficiencies in transmission of the mood-regulating neurotransmitter, serotonin, during winter months.

SAD develops in women more often than men, and nearly half of those affected report that episodes began during childhood or adolescence. Prevalence rates for seasonal affective disorder suggest that winter SAD is more common in individuals living at higher latitudes (northern climates) and in younger people. Seasonal affective disorder can, and sometimes does, cause depression during the summer months as well.

A trial of intense light therapy, called phototherapy, often helps relieve depression. Phototherapy typically consists of exposure to 2 -3 hours of artificial light a day. The artificial light apparently supplements the low amount of sunlight the individual otherwise receives. Phototherapy does not help all individuals with SAD, especially those who are more severely affected. Antidepressants are sometimes prescribed to treat more severe episodes of SAD, and are often even more effective if treatment is started prior to the onset of expected symptoms.

If you experience episodes of depression that seem to cycle with the seasons, you should consult your doctor about being evaluated for seasonal affective disorder. You do not need to suffer though the holiday season. Help is available.

The Bell Still Rings for me,
as it does for all who truly Believe!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (01-22-2013), snowflake22 (01-23-2013)

Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Christmas Altair
Last Achievements

Thanked 51,642 Times in 8,501 Posts
HomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
This is interesting, thanks for sharing!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HomemakinGirl For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (01-24-2013), snowflake22 (01-23-2013), xmastidings (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I know several people SAD and I get it somewhat myself.

I've got a 'lightbox' which I use on dull morning over breakfast to help wake me up and give me a Vit D boost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whychristmas For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (01-23-2013), xmastidings (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,993 Times in 9,612 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by whychristmas View Post
I know several people SAD and I get it somewhat myself.

I've got a 'lightbox' which I use on dull morning over breakfast to help wake me up and give me a Vit D boost.
I have looked into buying one of those. I do not suffer from SAD but I know there are days that I am not getting enough natural sunlight and vitamin D from the sun therefor I feel a little sluggish. Does it seem to help you?

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
xmastidings (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Yeah it does help. I've got one of the LED ones.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whychristmas For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (01-23-2013), xmastidings (01-23-2013)