Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Christmas Radio & Audio » 2013 Christmas/Radio Holiday Programming & Schedules

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Radio & Audio Discussions of Christmas on tape or disc, playing on the radio or uploaded here at MMC.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,099
Threads: 54,010
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, jkbb0414

Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

KWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elf
2013 Christmas/Radio Holiday Programming & Schedules

With the permission of RadioJonD:

I think it's safe to say "Christmas in July" is officially over ...but don't despair!

It's the perfect time to launch the Seventh Annual "Christmas/Holiday Radio Programming & Schedules" thread!

Previous Editions include:

2007 * 2008 * 2009 * 2010 * 2011 * 2012

This thread will keep track of stations airing seasonal programming. Many commercial broadcast stations will become “Your Official Holiday/Christmas Station” in November. Some may even start in October!

Likewise, many Public Radio Stations will air special programming for the entire holiday season, starting with Halloween and Thanksgiving themes. As the holidays progress, this thread will be used to track all such programs/format changes!

As you learn of stations making the switch to all Christmas, post ‘em here. List the station call sign, frequency and city. Also be sure to include a station link, especially if they stream their audio online! Here's a starting places that list as many Christmas stations as they can:

http://www.web-radio.fm/christmas/ (includes broadcast and online stations)

Sirius XM and their associated Satellite TV channels should be included here too!

I’m hopeful that folks in other countries will research and post all Christmas radio/audio related content with station links so that we may partake! I still haven’t developed a method for researching sites such as BBC Radio of the UK.

Christmas music is going to start showing up on the airwaves more and more in the days to come, so let's talk about it here!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KWasser For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (08-06-2013), Festive Spirit (08-06-2013), made582 (08-05-2013), mike24forever (08-05-2013), RadioJonD (08-05-2013), Storeytime (08-11-2013), Virginia (11-10-2013), xmas365 (08-05-2013), XmasDreams (08-05-2013), Yuletide Junkie (08-05-2013)

Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Last Achievements

KWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elf
The first order of business I want to discuss:

In years past, we've used "www.100000watts.com" to track radio stations across the country switching over to Christmas music. But this year: Apparently they've taken down their website?!? And it doesn't appear to be just the Christmas section, looks like the whole website is down (and it's been that way for a while)...

Does anyone have any other replacement websites that track radio stations switching over to Christmas music? I really liked 100000watts.com...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KWasser For This Useful Post:
made582 (08-05-2013), RadioJonD (08-05-2013), Storeytime (08-11-2013), xmas365 (08-05-2013), XmasDreams (08-05-2013), Yuletide Junkie (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 03:23 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,253 Times in 2,297 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Alright! We’re up and running for 2013! Thanks, KWasser!

One Hundred Thousand Watts was certainly the source to beat up until last year. After the usual start with tracking stations the site just up and quit with eighty something stations. What a disappointment! Oh well, good while it lasted!

Radio Insight keeps a list of station Yule switches. Here is the list for 2012. You'll notice the number if stations is no where near what One Hundred Thousand Watts dug up.

Another potential site is Radio Info.

Various apps including Tune-In will display a list of stations, both terrestrial and net, by typing “Christmas” in a search box. How reliable that is, I haven’t a clue.

A little challenge will perhaps reveal more than we ever thought was possible with this!

Last edited by RadioJonD; 08-05-2013 at 03:26 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
made582 (08-05-2013), Storeytime (08-11-2013), XmasDreams (08-12-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 75,485 Times in 15,106 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thanks for starting one of my favorite annual threads!!! I look forward to it every year.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

mike24forever has shown a merry dispositionmike24forever has shown a merry dispositionmike24forever has shown a merry dispositionmike24forever has shown a merry disposition
The Toronto Santa Claus Parade will be held on November 17th, 2013. The Friday before the event CHFI a radio station that is a sponsor of the events starts playing "Christmas music, everyday up to and on the big day".

Station: CHFI 98.1 fm.

*** Star 102.5 fm Buffalo is always the earliest station to start playing Christmas music. November 4th is the earliest I remember them starting. I will post an exact date when I find out.

Both stations can be found on the TuneIn Radio app on the iPhone or iPad.

Hope that helps.

Also, the app Christmas Radio+ has many Internet stations that play Christmas throughout the year, and the closer we get to Christmas the number of radio stations goes up.

...there are currently 23 stations on this app playing Christmas music.

Also, I'm a SiriusXm subscriber and will post their channels that play Christmas when they list them. Last year station 4 started December 16th to December 31, if I remember correctly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike24forever For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (11-03-2013), XmasDreams (08-06-2013), Yuletide Junkie (08-13-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,601 Times in 4,611 Posts
ballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Awesome. I love seeing this thread show up.

Have glove will travel
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ballcoach For This Useful Post:
Clark (08-18-2013), KWasser (08-06-2013), XmasDreams (08-06-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 05:04 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,253 Times in 2,297 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
The Vinyl Cafe December 8th, 2013 "Dinner at Tommy's"

Public radio stations have the option to purchase and air 'Vinyl Cafe' "Dinner At Tommy's" within one week of the listed date of December 8, 2013.

From the webpage:

Piece Description

This year Stuart McLean and The Vinyl Cafe are spending Christmas with the neighbors: this week’s Christmas concert is being broadcast from the USA. Seattle, Washington.

Dave and the family are also spending Christmas away. Dave's family spend Christmas dinner at Stephanie's boyfriend's house. And, as it turns out, Tommy’s father is just as inexperienced at cooking a turkey as Dave.

Broadcast History

This show will air on CBC Radio One & Two, Sirius 159, KUOW, WFYI, WCPN, Prairie Public, North Country Public Radio, Jefferson Public Radio, Iowa Public Radio, NIPR, KNPR, KBBI, KWMR, WTIP, WPTC, WBEZ, Maine Public Broadcasting Network, KSQM 91.5FM, WUTC, WFSU, WHDD and WUCX

_____

This already completed and available show is up for streaming at the PRX link above. "Dinner at Tommy's" runs fifty-four minutes. To find the location of the public radios listed as airing the program, google the call letters/names.

PRX is a rich source for looking for Christmas programs. Search "Christmas" to find past, current, and future content. Post the new for 2013 items here!

Last edited by RadioJonD; 08-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Clark (08-18-2013), sgrenoble (08-12-2013), XmasDreams (08-10-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
My favorite thread also. Thanks!
KWasser (08-12-2013), RadioJonD (08-11-2013), XmasDreams (08-12-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Last Achievements

Music Choice (available on most cable packages) is usually a great place to catch Christmas music each year with their "Sounds of the Season" channel, but I'm getting concerned: They recently took down their schedule for the rest of the year, for that channel.

I know we were all disappointed when they didn't air music for "Christmas in July", but could it be that they are cancelling that channel? Will "Music Choice" not give us a choice for Christmas music this year?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KWasser For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (08-13-2013), Yuletide Junkie (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,046 Times in 378 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
Originally Posted by KWasser View Post
Music Choice (available on most cable packages) is usually a great place to catch Christmas music each year with their "Sounds of the Season" channel, but I'm getting concerned: They recently took down their schedule for the rest of the year, for that channel.

I know we were all disappointed when they didn't air music for "Christmas in July", but could it be that they are cancelling that channel? Will "Music Choice" not give us a choice for Christmas music this year?
It is a little early to bemoan Christmas music's possible absence from the Music Choice roster. They have run two channels in the past. Lets take a wait and see stance, and see what happens in 80+ days.