Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food » Have you started planning menus yet?

Christmas Food From eggnog to candy canes to ginger bread and beyond the flavors and treats of Christmas are a delight. Here we engage in all things connected to Christmas foods -- from recipes to how-to's. This section of the Merry Forums is presented by Merry Christmas Recipes, our own database of Christmas recipes, many of which get submitted by our users from around the world.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,438
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Santa Speaks 2002
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 10:57 PM
35,628 Views  0 Posts
Merry Christmas or Happy...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:46 PM
46,747 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Tips for Keeping Your...
By MMC Editor
08-30-2011 02:21 AM
65,655 Views  0 Posts
How to Stick to Your...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:43 PM
48,506 Views  0 Posts
Why Santa Doesn't Use...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:22 PM
39,991 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,213 Times in 483 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by WinterGirl View Post
It's delicious! I usually roast portobello mushrooms in the roasting pan with the turkey or pork. When I take everything out, I crumble a bunch of Stilton on the top and broil them until the cheese is melted. It's become my favorite part of the meal!!
That sounds awesome.
Festive Spirit (10-24-2013), Minta (10-21-2013), snowflake22 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,213 Times in 483 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by novelist View Post
Our menu doesn't really change for either Thanksgiving or Christmas day. The only thing I'm not sure about yet is Christmas Eve. if we're staying home, I'll make a variety of appetizers, and my husband and I will celebrate the night with my step sons and dil. If my husband;s family has their annual holiday get to get together, then we'll be going to one of my husband's siblings house, so we'll eat there.
One of my uncle's always made a bunch of appetizers on Christmas Eve. It was a really fun tradition.

Someone on here said that they have their big Christmas dinner feast on Christmas Eve because then on Christmas Day they're not busy cooking. They can relax and enjoy the holiday and just reheat stuff. I thought that was a pretty cool idea too.
christmas87 (10-20-2013), Festive Spirit (10-24-2013), Minta (10-21-2013), snowflake22 (10-20-2013), Spyells (10-28-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 07:36 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,149 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
Turkey Day

Turkey
mashies
gravy
rolls
sausage stuffing
apple cider/juice
Pecan pie

Christmas Eve Day/morning
Ham & cheese Croissants,juice
Lunch Chinese food

Chicken Gumbo
potato salad
crusty French bread

Christmas Day Morning
Strata/breakfast bake
juice
tea
toast

Dinner changes each year. still talking to the kids about it, but I know for sure its sausage stuffed mushrooms,pepperoni,crackers & cheese. so far..

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post:
christmas87 (10-21-2013), Festive Spirit (10-24-2013), GingerMel (10-21-2013), Minta (10-21-2013), snowflake22 (10-20-2013), Spyells (10-28-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

deffenm has shown a merry dispositiondeffenm has shown a merry disposition
Thanksgiving Brunch: ( I host)
Monkey Bread
Scrambled Eggs
Shrimp
Hashbrown casserole
meatballs
danish
fruit salad
sandwhich roll ups

Thanksgiving Dinner: (In Laws Host)
Turkey
Stuffing
Craberry's
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
corn pudding
grean beans
rolls
pumpkin pie
apple pie
cherry pie
Chocolate pie for my oldest son

Christmas Eve:
Pizza
cookies

Christmas:
Monkey Bread
Doughnuts
Egg Casserole
Hassbrown Casserole

Christmas Dinner:
Not sure yet thinking maybe chicken, potatoes, mach and cheese, dumplings, fruit, salad, pies
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deffenm For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (10-24-2013), Minta (10-21-2013), Spyells (10-28-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Our Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners change very little from year to year.

Thanksgiving -
cheese balls and crackers for apps/pre-dinner snacking

Turkey
mashed potatoes
gravy
stuffing
burn n serve rolls
green bean casserole
corn casserole
pies - chocolate, fruit, banana, etc. for dessert

Christmas Eve -
Is with the in-laws for their Christmas Eve Open House and there are TONS of appetizers, snacky type things and enough sugar filled goodies to send us all straight into sugar shock.

Christmas Day -
We usually spend Christmas Day with my family but this year we're going to gather and celebrate Christmas on Saturday, Dec. 28th so for the first time ever Hubs and I will be on our own Christmas Day. I envision LOTS of snacking and not much cooking.

Christmas Celebration (Dec. 28th)

Ham
mashed potatoes and gravy
corn casserole
green bean casserole
sage and onion dressing
sweet potatoes
And, as always, burn n serve rolls

Assorted pies and cookies for dessert.
Festive Spirit (10-24-2013), Minta (10-28-2013), snowflake22 (10-23-2013), Spyells (10-28-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 7,975 Times in 1,269 Posts
Festive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the tree
We usually have a traditional Turkey roast dinner on Christmas day. I like to have some interesting side dishes that we don't normally have to make it a bit more special. I really need to spend some time thinking about it. Some delicious idea here on here !

Christmas Eve we usually have a little buffet of snacks and light bites but I need to think about exactly what. Once I get my bigger jobs done I'll do some menu planning in mid November.
The Following User Says Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
Minta (10-28-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,071 Times in 657 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
It's probably going to be the usual. But, I'm going to go over my Pinterest foods and see if there is anything there that I might want to try out this year.

I make the standard fare, and then my relatives usually bring some type of dish or appetizer.

Thanksgiving:

Turkey (I. cant. wait.)
Mashed Potatoes
Rolls
Green Beans or Corn
Macaroni and Cheese
Stove Top Stuffing
Cheese Ball
Sausage & Cheese Dip
Pumpkin Pie and maybe some type of cake
Pumpkin and/or Banana Breads

Christmas Eve:

Probably something quick like leftovers, pizza, or pancakes
(We LOVE pancakes for dinner around here!)

Christmas Day:

Ham
Mashed Potatoes
Bean Salad
Deviled Eggs
Macaroni and Cheese
Pumpkin and/or Banana Breads

Not sure what else yet...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Courtney For This Useful Post:
Minta (10-28-2013), snowflake22 (10-25-2013), Spyells (10-28-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

Ron Delaney has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Minta View Post
Your menu sounds awesome.

Yes i have started planning

Thankgiving: Pre dinner snack: homemade pepperoni bead
Dinner: Turkey, sage, celery and onion stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, toss up between yams or roasted butter nut squash, corn, carrots, cranberry sauce and dinner rolls. Dessert: pumpkin pie and apple crumb pie.

Christmas Eve: we do our version of the 7 fishes dinner: Spaghetti with steamed shrimped and sauteed scallops in a tomatoe sauce, homemade crab cakes, steamed clams, flounder cooked in white wine and lemon juice, haddock (breaded and baked)and undecided on the last one. Still deciding on the dessert.

Christmas Dinner : this year we are doing either Prime Rib or a Beef roast, homemade mac and cheese, corn, peas, broccoli and dinner rolls. Dessert: pumpkin pie and Apple crumb pie.
Christmas Eve its BBQ Prime Rib and we all bring a dish to accompany it to my Mother and Father in-Laws.
Boxing Day is the party with a assortment of dips, soups and chilli for everyone who would like to drop in!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Delaney For This Useful Post:
Minta (10-28-2013), snowflake22 (10-27-2013), Spyells (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,059 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
Thanksgiving Dinner this year will be Turkey Breast, mashed potatoes/gravy, green been casserole, corn, fruit salad and most likely "pink stuff". It's what my Mother always called her dessert dish and so my children grew up eating this and now my daughter makes it and her children like it. Also, the usual Pumpkin pie and a Cherry pie (hubby's favorite) and Pumpkin bars.

Christmas Dinner will be Ham, mashed potatoes/gravy, haven't decided on the vegetable, homemade applesauce for both meals but especially with the Ham meal. And of course assortment of homemade pies/desserts.

And of course for both meals, some type of bread/rolls etc.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Merry Fourms Member

MerryMistletoeGirl has shown a merry disposition
So excited to menu plan this year.
Thanksgiving Morning
Cinnamon Rolls
Baked pumpkin french toast casserole

Then Appetizers/Snacks until Dinner
Chex Mix
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Relish/Veggie Tray
Cheese/Crackers
Deviled Eggs

Thanksgiving Dinner
Turkey
Mashed Potatos
Broccoli Casserole
Stuffing
Garlic Green Beans
Sweet Potato Rolls
Parker Rolls

Sweet Potato Pie, Pumpkin Cheesecake and Oreo Cheesecake

Christmas Eve Morning
I host a huge brunch for my mom's side

Spinach Strata
Egg Casserole
Hashbrowns
Danish/donuts
Fruit Salad
Mimosas /Juice / Coffee

Christmas Eve
Savory & Sweet Buffet

My favorite tradition
Lots of Appetizers/Snacks - my mom's famous sliders and whole table of holiday sweets

Christmas Morning
Christmas Tree Cinnamon Rolls

Christmas Dinner
Lasagna
Garlic Bread
Our own version of the olive garden salad
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryMistletoeGirl For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (11-07-2013)