Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Huge disappointment today..

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,099
Threads: 54,028
Top Poster: xmas365 (167,174)
Welcome to our newest member, pe1225

Old 07-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

yuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry disposition
Huge disappointment today..

Well, I don't know why I'm even posting this - except that I need to get it off of my chest. I earned my Masters Degree in Dec. 1994 from the infamous Kent State University in Kent, Ohio. My masters is in Community Counseling I am capable of all forms of therapy...
Anyway - got married 1/95, baby #1 2/97, baby #2 11/98, baby #3 4/01. I put off taking my licensure exam because I wanted to have my family. I always knew noone could take my degree away from me and that I could always take the exam at any time. Now that the boys are older - I was sending my request to Columbus for the entrance to the exam. Well, I was declined. I was told that the law changed and I would have had to take the exam by 1998 in order to be grandfathered in. Now I am required to take 20 semester hours more. My current job pays me $28 per hour with just my degree - and I work when I want. This would cost me thousands. My husband said not to worry about it - that I am still valuable and not to attach my emotions to it. I am disappointed - but, felt like I needed to do this to please my now deceased father (who was a Ph.D.)

With my license I would make no more $ - but I would be given the credit I deserve for the knowledge that I have. I guess I have to let it go. We're talking about 15,000 bucks to get the courses. Plus, I have an 80 year old widow mom, young kids, a house, a hubby. etc.
Thoughts, encouragement? I didn't tell anyone - didn't want anyone to know I wanted to take the test in case I failed it.
thanks
Yuletide

Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,763 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
I'm sorry to hear your news - you must feel like you've been hit by a 2 x 4. I understand how you want to do this for your late father but I can guarantee he's proud of you whatever happens.

I hope things work out okay for you
Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

yuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry disposition
ornament Thanks for the kind words...

I don't know why I feel "less than", but - I really know that he was proud - I guess I thought he would have been proud-er.
Again, thanks for the support...
Yuletide
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I understand wanting to do it for your father, however I'm sure he would be proud of you anyway.

In my opinion the Knowledge is the important thing not a piece of paper or title.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,763 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
As a mom of 3 kids, you know that whatever they do, you're full to bursting with pride at whatever little thing they do. That goes for every single parent in the world, including your dad.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:41 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,253 Times in 2,297 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Guts and integrity are far more desirous than initials by the name! You husband is right! To the people that you have helped and will help, I think it matters not what you are but who you are!

Thank you for making a difference, Yuletide!
The Following User Says Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
yuletide (07-08-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 AM

Last Achievements

Gingerbug is a good elfGingerbug is a good elfGingerbug is a good elfGingerbug is a good elfGingerbug is a good elfGingerbug is a good elfGingerbug is a good elf
As a certified school counselor AND a licensed professional counselor...let me tell you....you are just as VALUABLE with or without the license....people that work in the field know that even though you will run in to a few snobby people that would rather show their diploma/license than really listen to or provide therapy for people.

It is unfortunate that it happened to you and will most likely always have a little sting when you think about it. The truth is in our state MANY of the mental health positions are filled with people that are not licensed...intake people, case managers, and other assorted names are used to describe them. Some provide as much "therapy" as any fully licensed individual. Yes the "license" shows others that you have the qualifications BUT not that you are good at what you do...only your daily work with others will attest to that.

So hang in there and you will move past all this and continue to grow as a professional and as an individual.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gingerbug For This Useful Post:
yuletide (07-08-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 11:56 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,055 Times in 2,443 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
As we like to say "no success can compensate for failure in the home" and THAT, I would think, would make your father more proud than some piece of paper. You don't need that license to validate your skills, your goodness and your abiliities. I say we forego the state and license you RIGHT here as our community counselor!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
yuletide (07-08-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Christmas Royalty

clarebear will NOT spit in your eggnogclarebear will NOT spit in your eggnogclarebear will NOT spit in your eggnogclarebear will NOT spit in your eggnogclarebear will NOT spit in your eggnogclarebear will NOT spit in your eggnogclarebear will NOT spit in your eggnogclarebear will NOT spit in your eggnogclarebear will NOT spit in your eggnogclarebear will NOT spit in your eggnogclarebear will NOT spit in your eggnog
I'm sure your dad will still be very proud of you, no matter what. Like people have said Knowledge is the important thing not a piece of paper. I hope you feel better soon
Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
Sorry to here this...it's to bad no-one informed you of the changes. I agree with the others on this thou. A piece of paper isn't going to change anything. Knowledge is power and this you have with or without the initials after your name. Your dad would be proud of you regardless.