Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food » Do you guys have a special meal on Christmas Eve?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Food From eggnog to candy canes to ginger bread and beyond the flavors and treats of Christmas are a delight. Here we engage in all things connected to Christmas foods -- from recipes to how-to's. This section of the Merry Forums is presented by Merry Christmas Recipes, our own database of Christmas recipes, many of which get submitted by our users from around the world.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,085
Threads: 53,911
Top Poster: xmas365 (164,784)
Welcome to our newest member, williamjohn

Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,797 Times in 3,800 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by snowytree View Post
Your'e cracking me up! It sounds like my grandmother when she was alive...it just wasn't right unless we were eating every minute! I didn't want to disappoint her!
hahaha...thatīs how she is too...and after feeding us like that she sometimes would make remarks like
"oh tanja...i think u gained some weight"....and Iīm like thinking.....thx grandma....didnīt have to say in front of everyone....hahahahaha

Old 09-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
I did my Christmas dinner on Christmas eve when my kids were growing up so I could be free to enjoy Christmas Day with the kids. It also gave them something special to do on Christmas Eve while waiting for morning to come quickly. I would have candles and a beautifully set table. Then on Christmas Day if anyone was hungry, things just had to be reheated and not by me. Hee Hee, I loved it.

I still do it depending on where we are for Christmas. Last Christmas we spend the night at my daughters (their invitation) so I wasn't home on Christmas Eve. This Christmas Eve my other daughter and her family will be here, so I will do a Christmas Eve dinner with all the trimmings. I'm already planning it.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Christmas Eve is at my In-Laws. We usually have a deli tray and all sorts of appetizers and salads. Last year everyone made their own little specialty! It was nice!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 23,202 Times in 3,756 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Oh yes! Christmas Eve is my favorite ~ my families Christmas celebration at my parents house:

Smokehouse Spaghetti
Bruschetta
Corn (that was frozen from the garden)
Garlic Bread
"Burn" & serve rolls
salad
~ whatever everybody brings as a side dish

pies
cut out Christmas cookies

I always bring a Cheese log, one sister always brings shrimp & dip ~ actually, the whole kitchen table is full of snacky food.

And Mom always has out a tray of Christmas candy that we all got together & made on candy making day.

The Following User Says Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
bhenson (10-21-2008)
Old 09-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Keeper of the Yule Goat

CharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the Wisemen
This year my family will begin new tradition(s).

In the past, the extended family (cousins, uncles, inlaws, etc) had gathered at my grandparents home for a meal and celebration. It was a ton of people and a huge blast. We've done it for all of my 36 years (missed a few here and there, when I was in the Navy). However, both grandparents were recently admitted to a nursing home thusly ending that tradition. I am sure each individual family will move on and do their own thing.

We will take Christmas to the nursing home, I am sure me and mine will have a blast creating new traditions.
bhenson (10-21-2008), SparkleNana (10-21-2008)
Old 09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

act_as_if is a good elfact_as_if is a good elfact_as_if is a good elfact_as_if is a good elfact_as_if is a good elfact_as_if is a good elfact_as_if is a good elf
We do both a Christmas Eve and Christmas day dinner. On CE,the whole family cones over and we have potato soup and Chili. CD is the traditional meal. Turkey, potato.ect.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,093 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
how did i miss this thread?

every christmas eve i go to my mum's house, alot of the family are there that day so i usually drive over to mcdonalds for everyone, this year i have decided to throw caution to the wind (lol) and go to kfc for a big bucket. we can all share that, it will be less hassle.

christmas eve night, me and my partner stay at home watching christmas movies and drinking festive mint baileys (anyone had this? it's divine) and have a few snacks. this year i will do a mini buffet for the two of is, maybe some chilli nachos, onion rings, breaded mushrooms and salad? i can't wait!

Despite my username, I am female!
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
bhenson (10-21-2008)
Old 10-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

lmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
We have Christmas Eve at my in-laws house. My father in law smokes a ham and we have salad, cheesey potatoes, homemade rolls as well as snacks and goodies in dishes on the counter to snack on. Then my mother in law usually makes some huge dessert that everyone should be too stuffed to eat...but we do anyway, lol!
The Following User Says Thank You to lmm8606 For This Useful Post:
bhenson (10-21-2008)
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Christmasologist

SparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Joyful -- I LOVE your idea about doing the festive dinner on Christmas Eve! I have never heard anyone explain it like that. You are brilliant!

As you said, it gives the children something beautiful to focus on on Christmas Eve. And then - Christmas Day can be relaxing for you - because there are wonderful left-overs ready to enjoy!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SparkleNana For This Useful Post:
bhenson (10-21-2008), joyful (11-06-2008)
Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

SQNOLA has shown a merry disposition
We eat dinner on Christmas Eve at my in-laws, in Austria. The traditional dinner is fish or goose, but we have chicken schnitzel instead, with potato salad. The chicken schnitzel is VERY thin pieces of chicken breast, breaded and fried in such a way that it doesn't come out greasy. And the potato salad is not like American potato salad. It has an oil and vinegar dressing with onions, but no mayo or eggs. It sounds a bit plain but has a delicious taste.

While I love the dinner, my favorite part is dessert! My mother-in-law makes over 20 different kinds of traditional Austrian Christmas cookies that are incredible. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!
The Following User Says Thank You to SQNOLA For This Useful Post:
bhenson (10-21-2008)