Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations > Lights & Decorations » LED Lights or Traditional Lights?

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,447
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,108)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Real or Artificial?
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:49 PM
45,665 Views  0 Posts
Santa in My Backyard
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:32 PM
43,776 Views  0 Posts
The Year Santa Was...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:33 PM
54,455 Views  0 Posts
Santa Speaks 2000
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 10:54 PM
43,719 Views  0 Posts
santahat Shoppers: They're...
By MMC Editor
11-23-2011 09:47 AM
Last post by Christmasstar
01-07-2012 02:02 PM
90,408 Views  2 Posts

Old 10-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,063 Times in 274 Posts
Laney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
We bought a whole bunch of the LED icicle lights last year after Christmas at quite a bargain. The box promises that they are a true white and not that blue-ish harsh light. I think that we will still do the bigger colored lights on the windows and porch posts. I just love that look.

As for the tree, I guess I'll see how I like the outdoor lights this year and if I would want them on my trees. Then I'll look for them again after the season for next year. I do hope that they give us the kind of energy savings that people talk about!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (10-18-2009), snowflake22 (02-05-2014)
Old 10-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Merry Forums Newbie

Cory Strong has shown a merry disposition
LED or Traditional Lights

I am a traditional light user. Yes, they get tangled, so do LEDs. I experimented for years on how to store these lights quickly and conveniently. This website is for a Christmas Light winding and storage device I developed and have recently brought to market. It is inexpensive, very effective, made from recycled plastic in the U.S.A. and will help your lights last longer. I am interested in any feedback. Thanks,
Cory
http://www.nolightmess.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cory Strong For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (10-19-2009), snowflake22 (02-05-2014)
Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

jimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Ditto what you said, Christmas-A-Holic!

Mini-lights, multi-colored. Though straight white is elegant, the colors speak to the child in me. Always will.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmyolsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
light

I have both the traditional and the LED lights. In the traditional lights I prefer the mini.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chillywilly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

jollyliz has shown a merry disposition
We bought LED lights in July to use this Christmas. I wanted something that resembled the old fashioned lights but without the worry of fire. When they arrived I nearly cried thinking they were pastel colored. My husband, ever the geek, said to plug them in that they'd look different. They were gorgeous! Plus they're a new kind that you can replace individual bulbs and they sell sets of colored bulbs so you can change them. I have vision problems myself but I figure if they're not on the very edge of the tree limbs, more inside the tree, I can handle it.

"Christmas was on it's way. Lovely, glorious, beautiful Christmas, upon which the entire kid year revolved." -- A Christmas Story
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jollyliz For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (10-26-2009), snowflake22 (02-05-2014)
Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Invalid Email

lauriebear777 has shown a merry dispositionlauriebear777 has shown a merry dispositionlauriebear777 has shown a merry disposition
I use traditional (but the mini kind) I had purchased the LED's when they 1st came out and did not care for them but I hear they have made some great progress, maybe after Christmas I'll pick some up because you can never have too many lights!!!!

I alternate from color to all white it depends on my mood at the time I set up although the colored remind me of the 70's and well I kind of like it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lauriebear777 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,341 Times in 5,604 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I got some big-bulb LEDs for the front-yard hedge last year, and was disappointed. They were not as bright as I expected, and the colors were not what I'm used to. I also didn't care for the looks of them when I drove by LED-decorated homes and yards. I haven't tried the small indoor LEDs. I've stuck with the mini-lights on the tree because they're the look I know and love.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Scot Meyers has shown a merry dispositionScot Meyers has shown a merry dispositionScot Meyers has shown a merry dispositionScot Meyers has shown a merry dispositionScot Meyers has shown a merry disposition
OK
Some food for thought....
1st if your a traditional kinda person better buy em up and hang on to them I believe the LED full conversion is set to be christmas 2012.
2nd LED's have come along way since their introduction. The colorado christmas group had the chance to test LED's on our computer boards for Novelty lights. and thier ability to dim and fade has come a long way from the step down fades we used to see.
also you can get soft white and bright white. I prefer the soft white led's. they have a much warmer glow. I use mostly c7 retrofit replacments on my house with red , blue, green, yellow and orange, the yellows and the oranges are hard to tell when next to each other but when separated by other colors they are not bad. The savings do outweigh the costs though. 200 c7 incadecent bulbs run about 15 amps while 200 c7 led's run 4 amps a BIG difference.

with each year the LED's get better and better.

however it is personal preference.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scot Meyers For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (10-28-2009), christmasjingles (10-27-2009), snowflake22 (02-05-2014)
Old 12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

canadachristmas has shown a merry disposition
I finally got used to the LED's this year after a long struggle with whether I liked them or not. When they first came out, the colors were just terrible imo. The "white" to me looked like a cold greyish blue and the other colors just didnt have the same glow, but after this Christmas, I have completely switched over to different colors of LED's thanks to the Home Depot's old light trade in program. And now I love LED's. They last up to 20 years so I can keep accumulating lights without worrying about replacing them! That to me is great. I read that you can leave LED's on 24/7, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and they will last 4 years straight. Do the math and if you only have them on 8 hrs/day, nov and dec, they can last a lifetime!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canadachristmas For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (12-30-2009), snowflake22 (02-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

ILuvChristmas is a good elfILuvChristmas is a good elfILuvChristmas is a good elfILuvChristmas is a good elfILuvChristmas is a good elfILuvChristmas is a good elf
I used the mini multi-stringed light with one string light that would blink off and on slightly. Made the tree look like it was "sparkly". Never gave anyone a visual problem. White lights were just too plain imo. But this year the multi-colored mini lights weren't working so I purchased the C-5 Led lights to go on the tree. Love them! They look gorgeous on my tree with all the other decor that I use. Haven't heard about any visual problem or hurting anyone's eyes to look at them. Always get compliments

But I have heard that they're working on improving the Led lights to give a "warmer glow". But the ones I have already do that!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ILuvChristmas For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (01-05-2010), snowflake22 (02-05-2014)