Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations » Different Christmas Things You Do That Others Don't

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,431
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,553)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Santa Clause 2...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:11 PM
0 Posts
Charles Dickens: A Merry...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2011 03:24 PM
Last post by Joyfully yours
10-19-2013 09:51 PM
69,645 Views  1 Posts
A Fat Man's Holiday
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:18 PM
44,806 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Poems from...
By MerryCarey
05-15-2012 03:09 PM
43,441 Views  0 Posts
"Mary Cary's Business"......
By MerryCarey
10-25-2011 12:42 PM
52,216 Views  0 Posts

Old 07-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Different Christmas Things You Do That Others Don't

So I thought I would create a thread about "Different Christmas Things You Do", that most people don't do. Traditions you do that don't seem "like everyone else does them" etc. I will start a few and you will get the idea.

For our stockings - My mom wraps each thing inside the stockings with white tissue paper. I don't know why, but she has been doing this since I was a kid! I think it adds to the "mystery" of what santa brought. I also used to smell the tissue paper when I was a kid because I was convinced it would smell like the north pole, hahahah! Anyway! So when I went to my significant others parents house (for after Christmas gifts), she just put the stuff in the stockings and it made it look heavy at the bottom. I was sort of taken back because I didn't realize not everyone wraps the stuff in stockings like my mom does. Now if you put alot of stuff in the stockings, the tissue paper can certainly make it a bit heavier!

We also don't have a REAL Christmas Tree skirt for under the tree. My mom bought a few yards of maroon velvet fabric and we just lay it around under the base of the tree. We fold it under to hide the edges and it just looks beautiful. It sort of reminds me of the blanket Linus puts under Charlie Browns tree.

The last thing I can think of is that we are not allowed to open any gifts before Christmas. Some of my friends open all of their gifts on Christmas Eve or are allowed ONE gift on Christmas Eve. I was always bugged that we were not allowed even one gift. My friends mom had a good idea, she always gives her kids Christmas pajamas on Christmas eve. She grabs the gift she knows is the pajamas. One gift on Christmas Eve certainly wouldn't take away the anticipation of wanting to open the rest of the gifts.

Is there anything you do for Christmas that most people don't do??! I know some people go to the movies or other things. I have never been caroling or anything like that. Post other things you think most people don't do. Perhaps we will be surprised that we do similar things.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (06-02-2012), caninemom3 (07-04-2010), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), CJ498 (10-25-2011), frostyman (10-26-2011), gabulldawg (10-25-2011), GingerMel (10-21-2011), jolly elf (07-05-2010), joyful (09-15-2012)
Old 07-04-2010, 04:10 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,444 Times in 9,243 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

I do a couple of things that I think are different, but I am not sure. For instance, all year we have on the mantle the garland and Christmas lights that I usually plug in during evening hours. Also, my nativity scene includes many, many animals more than most folks nativity scenes I think. I decided long ago that since Jesus is God and God made EVERYTHING at least in my thinking that the animals should pay tribute to Him on His birthday. So I have polar bears, lionds, tigers, dogs, cats, camels, pigs, ducks, meerkats, etc. and many more coming to see the Baby Jesus as a tribute !! I guess it is kind of nutty but since God has put such love for animals in my heart, this is my very small way of showing it !!!

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), ballcoach (10-25-2011), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), CJ498 (10-25-2011), frostyman (10-26-2011), gabulldawg (10-25-2011), joyful (09-15-2012), lillyrose (11-27-2011), Neotericisis (12-06-2012), One Spoiled Brat (10-22-2011), shellie12 (10-21-2011), Spyells (10-20-2011), trackrebel (06-03-2012)
Old 07-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Christmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnog
1) We do our big *Christmas Dinner* on Christmas Eve. We have a traditional breakfast, but the rest of the day is leftovers. We started that years ago because we decided we didn't want to spend Christmas day in the kitchen preparing and cleaning up. Our dessert is always chocolate fondu with bananas, oranges, strawberries, pretzels, marshmallows, etc.

2) We have a tradition of how we read the Christmas Story from the Bible on Christmas Eve. We all sit around the table with an unlit candle. The 1st person lights his/her candle and chooses a Christmas carol (religious carols). We sing that carol together and then the 1st person lights the candle of the 2nd person. The 2nd person then chooses a carol for us all to sing and then lights the candle of the 3rd person. We go around the table until we all have lighted candles and have picked a carol to sing together. We always end with my husband who then reads the Christmas story (from Luke 2) by candlelight. Then we finish by singing Silent Night and then have family prayer.

3) We do "wiseman gifting" at our house. Santa brings 3 gifts to each of our kids (our kids know that represents the # of gifts the wiseman gave to Jesus). Each child (we have 3) has wrapping paper that is unique to them. All 3 Santa gifts are wrapped in the paper that was selected for each child. Santa gifts are not tagged with names. Instead, a piece of the unique paper is placed in each child's stocking and they match up that paper to the gifts under the tree to find out which gifts are his/hers.

I think most our other traditions are fairly common - Christmas Eve PJs, gingerbread houses (actually graham cracker), etc.

Last edited by Christmas24/7; 07-04-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spelling
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Christmas24/7 For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), frostyman (10-26-2011), joyful (09-15-2012), merrymistletoe (06-02-2012), Neotericisis (12-06-2012), Spyells (10-20-2011)
Old 07-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,467 Times in 910 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
On Christmas Eve our kids will exchange their gift from each which is a new toy. This gives them something to occupy their time on Christmas Eve which allows me time to get the prep stuff done with less interuptions.

Each child has thier own magical Elf that arrives on Dec 1ts but leaves on the nigh of the 23rd so when the kids wake up on Christmas Eve morning they will find a gift from their own elf (new PJs)

My mom buys the kids several gifts each (some clothes, some toys) we allow them to open a gift from her on Christmas Eve.

The kids have a small Christma tree in their bedroom so on Christmas Morning when the kids wake up they will find a small gift each under their tree from Santa that they can open right away. This again helps keep them occupied until hubby and I get up and get my mom up and into the livingroom before the kids come down. I will also set out a platter of assorted quick breads (this year I am adding fruit) that everyone can munch on while opening gifts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), Neotericisis (12-06-2012), Spyells (10-20-2011)
Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Jeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnog
Nothing really exciting, but I always make sure I get a picture of both kids and both dogs all together under the tree. This is very difficult with a toddler and two dogs that don't want to cooperate. Hopefuly this year will be a little easier since my toddler is becoming a big boy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeniferdwn For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), Spyells (10-20-2011)
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Mistletoeologist

Smiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
As a lot of you know, my dad is a firefighter & some Christmases he had to work, so on Christmas Eve night we would open our gifts together (of course Santa brought out more the next morning), but my mom wanted my dad to be there to see how we reacted with our gifts and to give him his as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smiley21 For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), Christmasstar (09-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 PM
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!

Last Achievements

Thanked 69,973 Times in 13,907 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
My mother-in-law sings "Happy Birthday" to Jesus with all of her grandkids, and lets them blowout the candles when they are done
Old 10-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Spyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elf
I'm not sure how different my families traditions are or not. Most of the people I know cook their biggest meal on Thanksgiving (I'm American by the way ). They have the turkey and all the fixings. But we normally don't cook a huge meal because my mom normally works on Thanksgiving. Plus, my family agrees that Christmas is just more awesome than Thanksgiving. So, for Thanksgiving we will get a Honeybaked Ham and cook a couple of sides like my mom's Mac and Cheese (pure awesomeness that she makes from scratch ) and Yams.

But for Christmas we go all out. We hate cooking on Christmas day, so we start cutting the vegetables (potatoes for the potato salad, yams for Sweet Potato pie, green peppers for the dressing, etc.) on Dec. 22. We start cooking Dec. 23 and we finish by midnight on Dec. 24. Although, my mom normally cooks the turkey that night while we sleep. It works out because we can just heat up the food Christmas day.

Everyone in my family has different things that we cook, so during the time my mom and grandma are busy in the kitchen, I'm usually wrapping presents (I'm the official present wrapper in my family).

On Christmas morning, I get up at about 5 am and I make sure everything is still in order before the kids wake up. We always set out the presents by the tree after my little brothers go to bed on Christmas Eve. And we make sure to "take care" of Santa's cookies. We don't have a special Christmas breakfast. We normally just eat cereal or whatever is easiest to make as no one feels like cooking since we have already done three days of it. We open the gifts while the Walt Disney World Christmas parade is showing on t.v. Then my day is normally spent trying to figure out everyone's electronic gifts until it's time for Christmas dinner. And lastly, we always pray before we eat Christmas dinner, although I think that's pretty normal.
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11 KJV

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spyells For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), gabulldawg (10-25-2011), Neotericisis (12-06-2012)
Old 10-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,247 Times in 5,587 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I've mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again here because I'm sure very few people do this ... We celebrate Christmas Eve by going downstairs in the evening, threading up the projector, and watching our favorite 16mm Christmas films. Mr. has been a film collector since he was in his teens, and it's great to turn out the lights and watch real (reel) movies. Mostly shorts, but often a feature or two, too.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), ballcoach (06-02-2012), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), gabulldawg (10-25-2011), Neotericisis (12-06-2012)
Old 10-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,028 Times in 2,876 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
13 16x16

Hi everyone dont no if its anything special but its good crack for me and my mate
Each christmas eve me and her, dress up her as santa as she is a few sizes bigger than me , and me as mrs clause
We go round the estate and wave in and ring a bell that was given to me by a lady 20 years ago and her mother just to ring it in new years eve to welcome in the new year And some houses we call in even if there is no kids in it. gives the older ones something to laugh at.( see am a nice person i dont mind people laughting at me !!)
After that we go and stand at the top of our road and wave at every car that goes by.. we started that we wood wait till we got 20 horn beeps . now we are at 100..(sometimes we have to take a wee drink with us as 100 beeps can be a long stand as its not a big busy road and we need something to warm us up..But we laugh as you should see some of the cars go by all ages waving out and smiling. and then there is the odd one that just drives on and looks at us like we are mad (we are mad but the tablets do help) usually that takes about a hour.
Its worth it cause if we can bring a smile to people faces even if its only for a minute that cant be bad
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shellie12 For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), ballcoach (06-02-2012), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), GingerMel (10-21-2011), Neotericisis (12-06-2012), snowflake22 (06-01-2012)