Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations » Different Christmas Things You Do That Others Don't

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,008
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, misswang123

Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

Gingerbread Latte has shown a merry dispositionGingerbread Latte has shown a merry dispositionGingerbread Latte has shown a merry disposition
candle

Originally Posted by shellie12 View Post
Hi everyone dont no if its anything special but its good crack for me and my mate
Each christmas eve me and her, dress up her as santa as she is a few sizes bigger than me , and me as mrs clause
We go round the estate and wave in and ring a bell that was given to me by a lady 20 years ago and her mother just to ring it in new years eve to welcome in the new year And some houses we call in even if there is no kids in it. gives the older ones something to laugh at.( see am a nice person i dont mind people laughting at me !!)
After that we go and stand at the top of our road and wave at every car that goes by.. we started that we wood wait till we got 20 horn beeps . now we are at 100..(sometimes we have to take a wee drink with us as 100 beeps can be a long stand as its not a big busy road and we need something to warm us up..But we laugh as you should see some of the cars go by all ages waving out and smiling. and then there is the odd one that just drives on and looks at us like we are mad (we are mad but the tablets do help) usually that takes about a hour.
Its worth it cause if we can bring a smile to people faces even if its only for a minute that cant be bad
Oh, that must be a sight to see! How funny, thanks for sharing this!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gingerbread Latte For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-12-2012), snowflake22 (06-01-2012)

Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,243 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Your traditions all sound really awesome.

I definitely like the idea of cooking the Christmas dinner on Christmas eve so that Christmas Day is leftovers, though I just do not know if I could do that. hah hah.

Without the smell of awesome food in the oven on Christmas, I'm not sure what I'd do.
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), ballcoach (06-02-2012), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), lillyrose (11-27-2011), Spyells (10-25-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,036 Times in 2,880 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
bell

Originally Posted by Gingerbread Latte View Post
Oh, that must be a sight to see! How funny, thanks for sharing this!
ha you . it might be a sight. maybe the cars are beeping at my legs o mg never thought of that to i typed it .. longer mrs clause dress this year lol
The Following User Says Thank You to shellie12 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-12-2012)
Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,253 Times in 2,297 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I've mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again here because I'm sure very few people do this ... We celebrate Christmas Eve by going downstairs in the evening, threading up the projector, and watching our favorite 16mm Christmas films. Mr. has been a film collector since he was in his teens, and it's great to turn out the lights and watch real (reel) movies. Mostly shorts, but often a feature or two, too.
That is just way too coolarity for school! If I lived close enough I would crash that party!

Every year I record radio shows like most folks DVR/Tivo TV shows. Recording radio is a lot harder though since there aren’t radio guides like there are TV guides. There’s not a one button set device like a DVR to record audio either.

I have to use a computer program, recordable DVD player, a VHS video cassette recorder (yes, one can capture just audio on those too), and an older six tandem audio cassette recorder. All but the audio cassette recorder have to have the time manually programmed and matched to the source (radio or computer). The audio and video cassettes are mainly for back-up these days although I have to use them at times to record from one source while the computer and/or DVD recorder record from another.

Some shows will be archived online after they air. These I simply download to a hard drive later. This year I plan to use an online service called DAR.fm to capture some programming as well! DAR is the closest thing to DVR for radio going these days.

I must end up with over one hundred hours of diverse Christmas programming from public radio and internet sources. That includes two 24 hour Christmas radio marathon shows! To date, I’m the only one I know that has this seasonal obsession.

Speaking of archived online Christmas programming! That's a whole year thing though.

Last edited by RadioJonD; 10-25-2011 at 02:20 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), MerryCarey (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,727 Times in 6,010 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
That is just way too coolarity for school! If I lived close enough I would crash that party!
If you're ever in the neighborhood, we'll give you a Christmas show regardless of what time of year it is!

Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
Every year I record radio shows like most folks DVR/Tivo TV shows. Recording radio is a lot harder though since there arenít radio guides like there are TV guides. Thereís not a one button set device like a DVR to record audio either.

I have to use a computer program, recordable DVD player, a VHS video cassette recorder (yes, one can capture just audio on those too), and an older six tandem audio cassette recorder. All but the audio cassette recorder have to have the time manually programmed and matched to the source (radio or computer). The audio and video cassettes are mainly for back-up these days although I have to use them at times to record from one source while the computer and/or DVD recorder record from another.

Some shows will be archived online after they air. These I simply download to a hard drive later. This year I plan to use an online service called DAR.fm to capture some programming as well! DAR is the closest thing to DVR for radio going these days.

I must end up with over one hundred hours of diverse Christmas programming from public radio and internet sources. That includes two 24 hour Christmas radio marathon shows! To date, Iím the only one I know that has this seasonal obsession.

Speaking of archived online Christmas programming! That's a whole year thing though.
Any idea how many hours of Christmas music you have?? It's hard to imagine anyone having a larger collection ...

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-12-2012), RadioJonD (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 06:37 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,253 Times in 2,297 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
If you're ever in the neighborhood, we'll give you a Christmas show regardless of what time of year it is!

Any idea how many hours of Christmas music you have?? It's hard to imagine anyone having a larger collection ...
Thank you, MC! Perhaps one day!

If I were keenly organized I should be able to tell you the hours off the top of my head. Since I'm not I'll guess between 2,500 & 4,000.

Once upon a time my goal was to transfer the analog media to digital files.
The Following User Says Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-12-2012)
Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Spyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elf
Originally Posted by GingerMel View Post
Your traditions all sound really awesome.

I definitely like the idea of cooking the Christmas dinner on Christmas eve so that Christmas Day is leftovers, though I just do not know if I could do that. hah hah.

Without the smell of awesome food in the oven on Christmas, I'm not sure what I'd do.
Well in my family, when we cook Christmas dinner we don't eat it until Christmas day. That's why we start cooking on Dec. 23 so we can all relax and enjoy our gifts and family time. When we heat up our dinner it certainly smells like Christmas in the house. As soon as my brothers and I smell the turkey we're right back in the kitchen asking mom when dinner is going to be ready.
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11 KJV

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spyells For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (12-06-2011), ballcoach (10-25-2011), Christmasstar (09-12-2012), merrymistletoe (06-02-2012), Neotericisis (12-06-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Lacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elf
Instead of a traditional advent calendar, I wrap 25 mini gifts so my kids have a little present to open everyday in december.

We stay up until midnight on Christmas eve in order to exchange the first gift of Christmas. We're usually with a huge group of family & friends.

For Christmas dinner, we cater more towards my husband's heritage and make mexican food. But I still make all the traditional desserts. We do the big turkey with all the fixings for Thanksgiving though.

We get together with family on Christmas morning to exchange gifts and have breakfast but we always spend the rest of the day at home with our kids.

We're always changing and adding new traditions. Every Christmas is different.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,600 Times in 4,611 Posts
ballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
First, I just love threads like this. I love reading about Christmas, although it has made me miss Christmas really bad.

You know...we do a lot of the same things. We have our big meal on Christmas Eve with everyone there and then we do presents with extended family.

I guess the one thing that we....I....do on Christmas Eve morning is that my Mom and I will get up pretty early (6 am) and will drink coffee, have a little breakfast, and then we cook like the desserts and stuff for that night. We do the same thing on Chirstmas morning. It's always a lot of fun. We both are big fans of Christmas, so that time is really special to me.

Have glove will travel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballcoach For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-12-2012), snowflake22 (06-02-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:30 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,852 Times in 3,810 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
we sing happy birthday to Jesus....it made it quite easy for Kandice understand the real meaning of christmas.....for a German family it is quite unique to put milk and cookies for Santa

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-12-2012), Neotericisis (12-07-2012)