Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations > Ideas » Ideas for a small apartment?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 54,007
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,752)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy

Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,592 Times in 749 Posts
Kimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnog
Ideas for a small apartment?

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for a person who lives in a small apartment. I don't know how many square feet but it's a 1/1 with a small kitchen. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Well you can get a table top tree. Michaels and some other craft stores like "Joannes" sell smaller to taller trees that you can buy. Some with predone lights and others without. I think I have also seen little trees at Target during the season. It could save you space and still be pretty! You can add little ornaments and lights to it. You can also add a tree skirt to it with like a xmas hand towel or fabric napkin.

You could also decorate your bathroom. There are Christmas shower curtains and rugs. You could put a little something on the back of the toliet.

You could get a wreath and hang it on the wall. You could try to sit it on a nail or use a picture frame hook with a little floral wire. Attach the floral wire to the back of the wreath with both ends so that way you have a loop that can hang off the picture frame hook. You could also put the wreath on your door, stores sell wreath hangers that rest over the top of the door. If it doesn't fit you can add a nail to the door, if it's not a wood door you can wire the wreath to your door knocker or hang it with xmas ribbon.

If you have space on top of cabinets you can put garland on top of the cabinets. Or garland around the edge of the door. You can use little hooks to attach the garland around your door.

If plugs is an issue you can BUY battery operated xmas lights. I have seen ones with 10 lights or 20 lights and even 50 lights (I think). But you have to have a supply of batteries on hand (the batteries often die after a week or so). I have seen colored and white battery operated lights. I wire or velcrow the battery pack to the back of the wreath frame.

You can also get a TALL glass cylinder or bowl and fill it with two different colored christmas ball ornaments. Or two different sized ornaments, like a few big and a few small.

You can also add Christmas blanket(s) and pillows.

Try to get creative by utilizing the space that you have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Kimothy (08-20-2010), snowflake22 (01-30-2014)
Old 08-20-2010, 03:39 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,032 Times in 2,441 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I once had a paper fireplace we made to put next to our Christmas tree. That was an awesome Christmas -- back when we were poor and skinny. We're back to being poor but the skinny part is eluding us.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
JAboc (09-12-2010), Kimothy (08-20-2010), One Spoiled Brat (09-12-2010), snowflake22 (01-30-2014)
Old 08-24-2010, 04:24 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

LogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elf
present

My apartment is not a studio, but I wouldn't call it especially large. To decorate it, I do the following:

Purchase an over the door wreath hanger and hang a wreath (artificial for no fuss and sometimes a real evergreen one - however, you need to take it down to spray it at least once a day or get waterspots on your door). The 3M Command hooks appear to be a good way to hang them also.

If you have a small wall area, go to the Dollar store and see if you can pick up 3 or 4 various sized/designed Christmas stockings. Again the "Command" hooks would come in handy for hanging them.

Purchase a real table-top tree. The local supermarkets last year sold 3 ft Frasier trees for about $20. They're not fragrant as a large one might be, but they're fun.

Pick up some Christmas kitchen towels at the dollar store.

Take Christmas lights and hang them up in your main window, wrapped around a TV stand, bookcase or desk.

If you have a bookcase, take a Margherita glass or large brandy snifter and insert some Christmas picks in it. A tall standing wine goblet with a big globe would also do and you can tie a bow around it.

Buy a couple of Christmas pillows for your sofa.

See if you can buy a place setting or two of Christmas dinnerware.

If you have a small basket and are creative, buy some floral clay and decorate with artificial poinsettias and place on an end table or on your kitchen table.

Hope this helps.

Betty
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LogicsHere For This Useful Post:
Kimothy (08-24-2010), snowflake22 (01-30-2014)
Old 08-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,592 Times in 749 Posts
Kimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnog
Betty~

Thanks wow!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimothy For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-30-2014)
Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

LogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elfLogicsHere is a good elf
You are very welcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to LogicsHere For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-30-2014)
Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 AM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,926 Times in 1,651 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
Before we bought our first house, we lived in a SHOEBOX! It was mini, teeny, tiny! We got a tiny little rosemary tree from Whole Foods and put it on our table.. it made the house smell great! We hung lights all around the kitchen/LR (all one room!), had some Christmas pillows, a throw, hand towels, stockings, etc. I lit evergreen candles often and hung a pretty wreath on our door.. it was so fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-30-2014)
Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,688 Times in 13,354 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I once saw 1/2 trees that where made for small spaces. You can hang them on the wall and still have a bit of room to put gifts under it.
I love the oabove ideas they are great!
The Following User Says Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-30-2014)
Old 09-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker
Last Achievements

JAboc has shown a merry dispositionJAboc has shown a merry disposition
In my apartment (2/2 1200 sq ft) I ended up buying a plastic/fake tree and had enough room to put it in the living room. I themed it out with silver and white lights from Home Depot. I have a balcony so I was able to put lights around my balcony and had a timer that would shut off at 2am (Home Depot). For my apartment door I had a door cover that looked like this . I bought it at Party City for real cheap like $5.00. Like some people said just the small things can do a lot like; Christmas pot holders, candle sticks, pen holders, table runners, coffee mugs and door mats. Also don't forget the mistletoe on top of every door ha. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

PS: make sure your complex approves of Christmas decorations... I know how some places work and they may deny decorations
snowflake22 (01-30-2014)