Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations > Lights & Decorations » To Tinsel or Not To Tinsel...that is the question?!!!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,087
Threads: 53,915
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,650)
Welcome to our newest member, DoYouHearWhatIHear

Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

snowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
We do not use tinsel. I remember as a kid our tree had so much tinsel on it we had to wade through it get to the ornaments! Yikes!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,242 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
The cats eating it was my reason as well. The first time you see cat poop hanging out the back end of a cat by tinsel it completely loses its magic.
Christmasstar (07-02-2011), dreamingofawhiteChristmas (10-10-2012), lauriebear (09-12-2011), snowflake22 (02-04-2014), xmas365 (03-29-2011), Yuletide Junkie (09-11-2011)
Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
I haven't used it in years. I grew up with it on my parent's trees and I used it for awhile on mine, then one year we had a cat that got sick. Took her to the vet, she ate some tinsel and it wrapped around her intestines, so it was an operation for her.
Be careful with cats when there's tinsel around.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Thanked 1,399 Times in 534 Posts
superdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elf
I still use tinsel but I use the colored kind not the all silver or gold kind. You know I grew up around cats and have had a couple myself and have never had a issue with them eating the tinsel. Eat plants yes. In fact only one time I remember a cat even getting in a tree and she was hiding from a dog that was a stray and came in the front door. Trust me that was a wild scene. But some packages got the worst end of that deal. I just knew that one box was a HO race car set and it was.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superdave1225 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-02-2011), Shiny Brite (01-20-2011), snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,761 Times in 9,571 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by joyful View Post
I haven't used it in years. I grew up with it on my parent's trees and I used it for awhile on mine, then one year we had a cat that got sick. Took her to the vet, she ate some tinsel and it wrapped around her intestines, so it was an operation for her.
Exactly why we don't use it. I hear it can be fatal to animals.

Also is a bit messy as some have mentioned on here. =)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-02-2011), snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 01-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Thanked 1,399 Times in 534 Posts
superdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elf
I reuse mine every year I just pick it off the tree and save it.
The Following User Says Thank You to superdave1225 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-02-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Christmasologist

Blue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elf
Originally Posted by joyful View Post
I have always used tinsel (the clear, shimmery kind) but will defienitely re-consider now. My dogs have never been interested in consuming it, but best not to tempt!

Originally Posted by Santa's Helper View Post
...Now I just use scarfing instead of garland.
Sounds Lovely - what is scarfing?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
is waiting for Fall
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,823 Times in 1,097 Posts
MerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to others
We use the garland, but I love the way the icicle tinsel looks. It tends to be too hard to get off of the artificial tree when we put it away, so we stopped using it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryBells For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
We always used it when I was growing up. I wanted to try using it again until my grandson was diagnosed with autism. He has to limit any kind of metal exposure, so we're not going to use it.

We also had to start putting our candy canes up high, out of his reach. Boy, he's the fastest candy cane grabber I've ever seen. Has it off the tree, out of the wrapper, and in his mouth before you can run 5 feet to stop him.
Christmasstar (07-02-2011), Neotericisis (11-20-2012), snowflake22 (02-04-2014), Yuletide Junkie (09-11-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,151 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
Same here,used it while growing up.The lasttime I used it was 2 or 3 yrs ago.I actually took it off the tree it was a real one and I woulnd't have been able to recycle the tree if it was on there.so I still have the bag of multi-colored tinsel! lol

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post: