Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Holiday Health, Fitness & Nutrition > Weight Loss » Losing Weight: What Works And What Doesn't !!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,021
Top Poster: xmas365 (167,029)
Welcome to our newest member, sonicboomboy

Old 07-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Gift 3

Originally Posted by rodmonster View Post
Remember - DO NOT DIET - make a life change instead. May take a little longer to reach your goal - but then you can keep it instead of going up and down so much!
=)
SO TRUE... I joined Weight Watchers who helped me with my lifestyle change and I lost 38 lbs and have kept it off for over 3 years now. Remember it isn't a race and it isn't a diet, it is a new, healthier you...
caninemom3 (09-09-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013)

Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 24,002 Times in 3,927 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Storeytime View Post
I agree 100%. I've been on several diets in the last 20 years and what I've learned is that you need lifestyle change not diets.

I resisted calorie counting for years because I thought it would be too hard to do. As it turns out, it's the best step I've ever taken to get my body back in shape. I use an online tracker that automatically counts the calories, fat grams, sugar grams, and every other nutritional element of whatever food or drink I enter into it.

Another important element is having goals, writing them down, and then having a plan to reach those goals. By knowing what my daily caloric intake needs to be in order to reach my target weight, I can have a good idea of when I can actually reach that goal. It helps me to stay on track even after the bad days.

I have started out by walking. That sounds funny because I was an athlete my whole life until the last 20 years. I played fast pitch softball competitively until I was 45. But years of becoming a couch potato and working in an office all day have caused me to have to attack the exercise part of my program slowly. Besides, walking is one of the best exercises there is along with providing some mental stress relief.

Last but not least is just stick to the old Food Pyramid like we used to see in elementary school. Eat more from the bottom than the top.

Oh, also ------- Don't skip breakfast. Most important meal of the day. Your body's metabolism slows down when you sleep and it wakes up in the starvation, slow down mode. Eating something, even if it's just some toast or cereal wakes the metabolism up and gets your body burning again.

Good luck everybody! You can do it!
Great post!! I have been following the weight watchers plan since Jan '09 & I love it! You summed up the plan quite well here! Track, track, track, Exercise, watch what you eat, treat yourself sometimes! I lost 35 lbs by the end of May of '09 & so far have been able to maintain, but it's work! You can't go into it thinking, I'll lose weight, end of story. It truley is a lifestyle change! I also took up walking b/c it's something I feel like I can stick with. I get burned out too quick on high impact workouts - ie: I don't want to do them every day! I walk every single day - either outside, or with Walk Away The Pounds dvds or in school (in the winter) I also started ridiing bicycle & it's a new passion...love it! It helps a bunch to have a "buddy" - many of you know that a friend & I walk every morning (Mon - Fri) 4 miles - knowing that she is waiting for me gets my hiney out of bed! Good luck!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-09-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), lauriebear (08-04-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

emski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elf
I have been struggling with my weight for the last 6 years-since I was pregnant with my oldest. I was always the "skinny" girl up until that point. I never had a weight issue, unless the issue was being underweight. Now, I am 30 lbs overweight, and only 5' 3". I can FEEL those 30 lbs, and it isn't pretty. I've tried weight watchers, and just didn't stick with it. I really need to find the motivation to exercise, cut WAY back on sweets, and carbs. Carbs just make me feel sluggish, but I love them.

I don't want to get back to the weight I was pre-kids (I was too thin), but I would like to get back to a weight where I feel comfortable with how I look. Besides that though, I want to have more energy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emski4379 For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-09-2011), Holiday (07-25-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), lauriebear (08-04-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 24,002 Times in 3,927 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Good Luck Emski! You can do it!! It's true that exercise gives you more energy. Just get out there & do it...start with a little at a time! Before you know it, you'll be feeling great!! Start today!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

One Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnog
Some great ideas here....Thanks for sharing....God bless each of you....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to One Spoiled Brat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

Rob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elf
santahat

Being hypothyroid, I have found that sticking to just two things have really helped in weightloss: Keeping sugar intake to just 15 grams a day, and limiting carbs to 6 to 8 servings a day. It is pretty easy to follow because you just look at the nutrition info and go from there. I dont limit any food as long as I stay within those numbers. It really works for me.

My Christmas Friend
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-04-2011), frostyman (08-05-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), lauriebear (08-04-2011), MsChristmas (08-04-2011), One Spoiled Brat (08-03-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Any of you had the new skinny cow candy bars? The "heavenly crisp" are to die for! I love sweets and if I cut sugars out all together I get horrible headaches. Anyways Only 110 calories and 9 grams of sugar!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by MsChristmas View Post
Any of you had the new skinny cow candy bars? The "heavenly crisp" are to die for! I love sweets and if I cut sugars out all together I get horrible headaches. Anyways Only 110 calories and 9 grams of sugar!
I wanted to try them but they are so expensive over here once they put a little sale on them I will start to pick them up - I should look for a coupon!!! I love the little 100 calorie pack chocolate pretzels - it gives me that little bit I need - I too love my sweet treats I would have a hard time giving them up but as Rod & CM3 all stated it is a life style change I always remind myself I can have anything I want to eat, at anytime I choose to have it... I just cannot have it all whenever I feel like it!!! It works for me!!!
caninemom3 (09-09-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), MsChristmas (08-05-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 PM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 47,810 Times in 7,693 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Great suggestions! For me, the weight didn't start to come off until I started to sleep at least 5-8 hours every night. Once I started doing that, all the other things I was doing from exercising to drinking water gelled.

There seems a magic in the very name of Christmas ~ Charles Dickens

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face ~ Victor Hugo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meceka For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-09-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013)
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by lauriebear View Post
I wanted to try them but they are so expensive over here once they put a little sale on them I will start to pick them up - I should look for a coupon!!! I love the little 100 calorie pack chocolate pretzels - it gives me that little bit I need - I too love my sweet treats I would have a hard time giving them up but as Rod & CM3 all stated it is a life style change I always remind myself I can have anything I want to eat, at anytime I choose to have it... I just cannot have it all whenever I feel like it!!! It works for me!!!
I love some of the 100 calorie packs too! I had found a $1 coupon and that is why I tried the skinny cow.. def look for a coupon or at local grocery stores to see if they are on sale! If they go on sale Im gonna stock up! I also plan on checking BJ's wholesale club to see if I can buy them in bulk.. they will last forever that way and Im sure will be a lot more resonable!