Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,225
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,350)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333

Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,303 Times in 610 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
Ask a Guru

Many of us here have either been trainers or are avid health and sports nuts... I personally am all three...
Feel free to ask us questions pertaining to this forum area and we will be happy to try and answer you based on our experience.
NOW GET BACK DOWN THERE AND GIVE ME 20!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:28 AM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,501 Times in 9,289 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

Hi Rod. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I want to start exercising again but the thing is, I don't have much time. I work night shift and in between one night shift and the other I am so exhausted that exercising would be impossible. I do have days off but only have Friday evening, Saturday evening and Sunday during the day. I have always heard that in order for it to be beneficial we should exercise 3 days a week. Would two days a week be beneficial at all ??? I have a treadmill that I used to walk on which I have a couple of other questions about. I haven't exercised in over a year so I am not sure how fast I should be trying to walk to start out with. Any suggestions ??

Thank you Rod for your help.

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 PM

Last Achievements

rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
well...

Any exercise at all is beneficial in the long run... the question is what can you do to add to your day... such as doing stairs at work or home, parking further away in a grocery store parking lot, doing the treadmill as you watch TV - etc.
Also - if you can find a way to just do 15 minutes a day - you will get some results....
The trick is to make it a habit and then you kind of fall into line each day with it.
How much time do you have on the two days you want to focus on?

Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
Hi Rod. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I want to start exercising again but the thing is, I don't have much time. I work night shift and in between one night shift and the other I am so exhausted that exercising would be impossible. I do have days off but only have Friday evening, Saturday evening and Sunday during the day. I have always heard that in order for it to be beneficial we should exercise 3 days a week. Would two days a week be beneficial at all ??? I have a treadmill that I used to walk on which I have a couple of other questions about. I haven't exercised in over a year so I am not sure how fast I should be trying to walk to start out with. Any suggestions ??

Thank you Rod for your help.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:48 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,501 Times in 9,289 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

Originally Posted by rodmonster View Post
Any exercise at all is beneficial in the long run... the question is what can you do to add to your day... such as doing stairs at work or home, parking further away in a grocery store parking lot, doing the treadmill as you watch TV - etc.
Also - if you can find a way to just do 15 minutes a day - you will get some results....
The trick is to make it a habit and then you kind of fall into line each day with it.
How much time do you have on the two days you want to focus on?
Thanks so much. I have all day on Friday and Saturday and most of the day on Sunday. If 15 minutes a day will help maybe that will work ! I never even thought of that. Thanks again.

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,937 Times in 9,773 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Ok Rod or anyone else with advice.

I started running in February and never once gave up on my training but for some reason I am just not feeling this burst of energy that most people get from it. I went into this slowly and worked my way up to 2 miles and running every other day. Just recently I get a little knee pain while running. Oh yeah! Most of the time I am just wiped out after a run instead of feeling invigorated like most people do. I feel energetic sometimes but most of the time just feel dragged down. I just don't get it, I kept thinking it just takes time but it has been 6 months and not much has change except that I can run further than when I first started.

I have not given up completely. I decided to back off my running a bit and do a walk/run (mostly walking) and working out with weights. That is the routine I did awhile back for 5 years and felt AWESOME all the time.

As far as eating, I eat VERY HEALTHY!

Now that I feel some slight knee pain I am worried that I might injure it. Are some people just not meant to run?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 AM

Last Achievements

Try this

Easy one... this is known as basic training fatigue... I get it a few times a year (generally twice) with my heavy power lifting...
You have two to three things you can do...
First is take one to two solid weeks off... totally off... Give your body time to heal completely and time for muscles to forget a little.
Second - Once you peak your muscles get comfortable in their memory of the motions and tend to stall... best thing to do is shock them... after you have rested a while try new routes... confuse your muscles - it will be fresh to them...
Finally - try to ramp it up a bit... you will find that just adding some ramps, stairs, etc to the run will add that extra little bit to it that makes your muscles start pushing the endorphins again.....
In the end - listen to your body - especially your knees... if you need to use the elliptical or bike for a while save them - then do so....

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
Ok Rod or anyone else with advice.

I started running in February and never once gave up on my training but for some reason I am just not feeling this burst of energy that most people get from it. I went into this slowly and worked my way up to 2 miles and running every other day. Just recently I get a little knee pain while running. Oh yeah! Most of the time I am just wiped out after a run instead of feeling invigorated like most people do. I feel energetic sometimes but most of the time just feel dragged down. I just don't get it, I kept thinking it just takes time but it has been 6 months and not much has change except that I can run further than when I first started.

I have not given up completely. I decided to back off my running a bit and do a walk/run (mostly walking) and working out with weights. That is the routine I did awhile back for 5 years and felt AWESOME all the time.

As far as eating, I eat VERY HEALTHY!

Now that I feel some slight knee pain I am worried that I might injure it. Are some people just not meant to run?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Easy one... this is known as basic training fatigue... I get it a few times a year (generally twice) with my heavy power lifting...
You have two to three things you can do...
First is take one to two solid weeks off... totally off... Give your body time to heal completely and time for muscles to forget a little.
Second - Once you peak your muscles get comfortable in their memory of the motions and tend to stall... best thing to do is shock them... after you have rested a while try new routes... confuse your muscles - it will be fresh to them...
Finally - try to ramp it up a bit... you will find that just adding some ramps, stairs, etc to the run will add that extra little bit to it that makes your muscles start pushing the endorphins again.....
In the end - listen to your body - especially your knees... if you need to use the elliptical or bike for a while save them - then do so....
Thanks Rod!

During the 2 week rest am I able to do some type of really light workout? Walk only and/or swim? I guess I'm afraid that when I return to ramping it up I will feel weak. I have had a real problem with fatigue for several years now. That is why I started working out in the first place to hopefully regain some energy but it never happened. My mother, who is 69 years old, goes to the gym with me and is superwoman! She has so much energy, I am jealous! We go to the locker room and she is bouncing off the walls and I sit there feeling bad!

I did not have a lot of energy before I ever took up running and only gained a little energy after I started, just never felt that burst of energy like I did when I was on a workout routine before.

Sometimes I think something is wrong with my health even though I have had some blood work done and came back normal. Obviously I have not had a lot of test ran, just some. Everything the doc asked as to how healthy is my lifestyle; sleep, eating, exercise, stable family, positive work environment (these 2, family and work, asking about stress in my life which is stress free for me!), positive thinking and prayer (he didn't ask about prayer but I volunteered that part, I think it's important for my overall health), he said I am doing everything right so he is puzzled as well. Going to the doc is a whole other subject and not sure if you have an answer for that! =)

When I changed the way I eat over 2 years ago helped tremendously for my stomach issues so I plan to keep that up. Eating healthy, however, didn't do a thing for my energy level.

I am going to give it a try on resting but if you could let me know if I could just go lightly and not give it up completely?

I appreciate the info you gave me!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
ChristmasHeart (07-27-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Last Achievements

try

Its REALLY tough to rest for real.. By this i mean no activity.. here is what i would try... Do yoga and stretching for one week... no running.. then light running mixed with yoga the next week...
Your body needs to heal.. it does take a little ime...
=)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Its REALLY tough to rest for real.. By this i mean no activity.. here is what i would try... Do yoga and stretching for one week... no running.. then light running mixed with yoga the next week...
Your body needs to heal.. it does take a little ime...
=)
I will do my best to JUST rest. I chase around 3 grandkids up to 11 hours a day during the week. I do have tomorrow off from the kids and my job so I will just rest all day. Saturday and Sunday will be busy with work, church and errands then starting Monday with the kids. No wonder I am so tired!

I do have a yoga mat so I will go that route for now. =)

Thanks so much for the info, Rod! I will update in a few weeks to see how I progress.