Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,938
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,013)
Welcome to our newest member, RMcGuigan

Old 06-09-2011, 10:36 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,971 Times in 2,435 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
A Confession & a Beginning

Well, here goes:

My little experience with gout this week has been a sobering wake-up call. I've watched my mom, who is diabetic, suffer with gout for years. I had no idea it could be so painful.

But at 47 here I am experiencing what I know are all the classic danger signs not only of diabetes but also of sleep apnea, heart disease and, I don't know, maybe even fallen arches.

So it is time for me to make the change -- the big lifestyle change. It is time I realize I'm not 19 anymore.

Back then I had an iron gut. I could lose weight without thinking about it. But these days I spend a lot of time in front of a computer and eating has morphed into a lot of bad habits -- not eating breakfast, munching while at my desk, eating out for convenience, etc.

That all has to change. I need to drop at least 100 pounds. I love just about anything about food -- except eating it right. I know this all needs to change and it has started this week.

I won't waste my time weighing myself. That's an exercise in futility and a false indicator of how you're doing, in my book. I've never believed in weight guides anyway. I man of my height, they say, should weigh about 160 pounds. I haven't weighed that much since 6th grade. I have a broad build, very wide features overall and I'll never be that guy (unless I want to look like I'm undergoing cancer treatment).

I will know it when I wear my clothes, when I can get a full night's sleep, when I can tie my shoes without losing my breath, when I can see my feet, when I have to move the seat up in my car and when I play with my kids.

My plan?

Well, we're likely going back on the "Clean Eating" plan as advanced by Tosca Reno.

Nothing fancy about it. Simple foods, mostly whole variety -- but no big deal if you cheat now and then with a piece of birthday cake. Just sensible portions, balanced eating routines, and diligent refrains from refined sugar and preservatives.

We have tried other diets. But this one not only works well for me but also leaves me feeling good and not like I've been missing something.

My goal here is to be healthy. I'm not really looking to impress with my looks and climb Everest.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (06-09-2011), Bradmac (06-14-2011), caninemom3 (06-10-2011), Christmas-A-Holic (06-10-2011), Christmasstar (07-11-2011), hilarios (08-22-2011), Holiday (07-12-2011), JOHNOR (06-10-2011), lauriebear (07-19-2011), lilnoelelf (06-10-2011), made582 (06-10-2011), momnan30 (06-10-2011), Mumof2 (06-11-2011), sgrenoble (06-10-2011), Storeytime (06-13-2011), trackrebel (06-11-2011), XmasDreams (06-10-2011)

Old 06-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,546 Times in 4,598 Posts
ballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Good luck, Jeff. I'm going to read about this diet!

Have glove will travel
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ballcoach For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (06-10-2011), Christmasstar (07-11-2011), hilarios (08-22-2011), Jeff Westover (06-10-2011), lilnoelelf (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,971 Times in 2,435 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
We like it. It doesn't have a ton of limitations and it emphasizes self control and good sense. We've always done well with it. We just have to stick with it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (06-10-2011), Christmasstar (07-11-2011), hilarios (08-22-2011), lilnoelelf (06-10-2011), made582 (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,837 Times in 9,583 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Good luck to you! We are here to cheer you on!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (06-10-2011), Christmasstar (07-11-2011), hilarios (08-22-2011), Jeff Westover (06-10-2011), lilnoelelf (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Official button pusher!

Last Achievements

Thanked 6,005 Times in 1,080 Posts
Undrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the tree
Luck to you Jeff. I hope everything works according to plan and we are ALL ROOTING FOR YOU!!!
Thank you, Louann. We will never forget you!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Undrtakr For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,093 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
let us know how you're getting on jeff, we'd be interested to know.

i too need to make changes to my lifestyle, i think i'm invisible because i'm only 26, but i'm a mother now and i need to be healthy for my daughter. i worry about my fiance as he barely exercises and eats alot of crap when out and about with his job. we also started our change this week, nothing fancy, just basic stuff like no skipping breakfast, making wise food choices and making sure we move more. of course treats are a must, just not every day anymore.

and we all know that over christmas the rules bend slightly so we have that to look forward to

Despite my username, I am female!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-11-2011), hilarios (08-22-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,064 Posts
irishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the tree
Good luck Jeff
Old 06-10-2011, 06:34 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 161,322 Times in 30,662 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Good Luck Jeff!!!!!!

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,956 Times in 927 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Well, here goes:

My little experience with gout this week has been a sobering wake-up call. I've watched my mom, who is diabetic, suffer with gout for years. I had no idea it could be so painful.

But at 47 here I am experiencing what I know are all the classic danger signs not only of diabetes but also of sleep apnea, heart disease and, I don't know, maybe even fallen arches.

So it is time for me to make the change -- the big lifestyle change. It is time I realize I'm not 19 anymore.

Back then I had an iron gut. I could lose weight without thinking about it. But these days I spend a lot of time in front of a computer and eating has morphed into a lot of bad habits -- not eating breakfast, munching while at my desk, eating out for convenience, etc.

That all has to change. I need to drop at least 100 pounds. I love just about anything about food -- except eating it right. I know this all needs to change and it has started this week.

I won't waste my time weighing myself. That's an exercise in futility and a false indicator of how you're doing, in my book. I've never believed in weight guides anyway. I man of my height, they say, should weigh about 160 pounds. I haven't weighed that much since 6th grade. I have a broad build, very wide features overall and I'll never be that guy (unless I want to look like I'm undergoing cancer treatment).

I will know it when I wear my clothes, when I can get a full night's sleep, when I can tie my shoes without losing my breath, when I can see my feet, when I have to move the seat up in my car and when I play with my kids.

My plan?

Well, we're likely going back on the "Clean Eating" plan as advanced by Tosca Reno.

Nothing fancy about it. Simple foods, mostly whole variety -- but no big deal if you cheat now and then with a piece of birthday cake. Just sensible portions, balanced eating routines, and diligent refrains from refined sugar and preservatives.

We have tried other diets. But this one not only works well for me but also leaves me feeling good and not like I've been missing something.

My goal here is to be healthy. I'm not really looking to impress with my looks and climb Everest.
It's a worthy goal for all of us...to keep the body a temple of health and make the most of our years. I'm glad you are going to make this step toward feeling better. It's inspiring to me to cut out some of the sugar and start practicing more of what I preach to my family.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momnan30 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-11-2011), hilarios (08-22-2011), lilnoelelf (06-10-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 12:23 AM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,151 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
I know how much it takes to stay on that path.I've lost 15lbs. & my Hubby has lost 60lbs. We keep eachother motivated & not give up. Good Luck! ox

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post: