Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,225
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,350)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333

Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

Rob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elf
santahat Sweet Potatoes and Their Benefits

That great side dish that is always present on our holiday tables, turns out to be a super food.

Sweet potato is a tuber and is different from the other tuber the yam.

1.Sweet potato is rich in Vitamin A (beta carotene) and Vitamin C. Both Vitamins A and C are powerful antioxidants that work in the body to remove free radicals, this free radicals are chemicals that damage cells.
2.Sweet potato is good for stomach ulcers and inflamed conditions of the colon.
3.It is beneficial for low blood pressure.
4.May be helpful for hemorrhoid because of its high fiber content.
5.Sweet potato is a good food for people involved in heavy muscular work, since this food is high in vitamins and minerals.
6.Sweet potato may help prevent cancer in glands and organs with epithelial tissue due to its high Vitamin A content.
7.Sweet potato is a good food for diabetics, because it helped stabilize blood sugar levels.
They are high in fiber and have a lower glycemic index rating (50). But it is other factors that may explain the unusual blood sugar lowering effects. Adiponectin is a protein hormone produced by our fat cells. People with diabetes have lower levels of this.

One average sweet potato contains:
Vitamin A : 7,700 I.U.
Vitamin B : Thiamine .09 mg.;
Riboflavin : .05 mg.
Niacin : .6 mg.
Vitamin C : 22 mg.
Calcium : 30 mg.
Iron : .7 mg.
Phosphorus : 49 mg.
Potassium : 300 mg.
Fat : .7 gm.
Carbohydrates : 27.9 gm.
Protein : 1.8 gm.
Calories : 123

Try sweet potato fries, mashed sweet potatoes, baked sweet potatoes with Greek yogurt, or the Casserole shown below

Sweet Potato Casserole

2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, (3 medium), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup low-fat milk
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
Topping

1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 teaspoons frozen orange juice concentrate
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well and return to the pan. Mash with a potato masher. Measure out 3 cups. (Reserve any extra for another use

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square (or similar 2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.

Whisk eggs, oil and honey in a medium bowl. Add mashed sweet potato and mix well. Stir in milk, orange zest, vanilla and salt. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish.

To prepare topping: Mix flour, brown sugar, orange juice concentrate, oil and butter in a small bowl. Blend with a fork or your fingertips until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over the casserole.

Bake the casserole until heated through and the top is lightly browned, 35 to 45 minutes.

Per serving : 242 Calories; 10 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 46 mg Cholesterol; 36 g Carbohydrates; 5 g Protein; 4 g Fiber; 170 mg Sodium; 351 mg Potassium
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch

If you suffer from kidney or gallbladder ailments, talk with your doctor or health care professional about a recommended intake of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes contain a small amount of oxalate's, which in high concentrations can cause kidney damage

As always, doing research on your specific condition and a consultation with your medical provider are recommended

My Christmas Friend
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (06-05-2011), Christmas-A-Holic (06-04-2011), Laney (06-05-2011), snowflake22 (05-25-2014)

Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,937 Times in 9,773 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I love sweet potatoes! I sometimes cook them, top it with a little agave nectar and chopped nuts. Super tasty and healthy!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-25-2014)
Old 06-05-2011, 02:07 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,941 Times in 3,823 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
over here sweet potatoes are so expensive that I never ate them....I think I will sometime later this year

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-25-2014)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,069 Times in 277 Posts
Laney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
My husband has colon issues and suffers from hemorrhoids because of it. This is great to know how this could help him!

I love sweet potatoes! My family has always made them bakes with the marshmallow mixture on top. I prefer the casserole with the brown sugar and pecans, but have never had a tried and true recipe for it before. This sounds delicious!
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-25-2014)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
I often use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes in soups and tomato-based stews. I just learned about their value a year ago. My husband always preferred the taste to regular potatoes. Sometimes we just have them as a side dish to a pork chop or with chicken. We just add a little margarine and pepper.

The Following User Says Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-25-2014)