Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food » What do you serve for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years?

Christmas Food From eggnog to candy canes to ginger bread and beyond the flavors and treats of Christmas are a delight. Here we engage in all things connected to Christmas foods -- from recipes to how-to's. This section of the Merry Forums is presented by Merry Christmas Recipes, our own database of Christmas recipes, many of which get submitted by our users from around the world.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,975
Threads: 53,447
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,108)
Welcome to our newest member, Angelfrog
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Diary of a Snow Shoveler
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:38 PM
0 Posts
How to Stick to Your...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:43 PM
48,528 Views  0 Posts
Clement Clarke Moore:...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 02:58 PM
Last post by Jeff Westover
12-19-2011 11:09 AM
61,685 Views  2 Posts
Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-18-2011 01:41 AM
64,326 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Things Santa...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:07 PM
50,464 Views  0 Posts

Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,337 Times in 3,116 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
So our family is not the only one who has burn & serves, huh???

Thanksgiving with my in-laws we go out to eat for lunch at a breakfast/brunch buffet a lot of times. For my family (which I think I get to host this year ) we have turkey (which my Dad makes) mashed potatoes, sweet potato souffle, burn 'n serves, pumpkin pie & whatever everybody brings.

Christas Eve at my parents is Smokehouse Spaghetti, Bruschetta, garlic bread (texas toast), corn from the garden, salad, desserts & whatever everybody brings....all of which we don't really even need to eat b/c of all the muchies!! Shrimp cocktail, cheese log, Christmas cookies & candy... and much, much more!

Christmas Day at the in-laws is turkey, ham, &/or roast beef, mashed potatoes, corn, deviled eggs, 7 layer salad, cheeseball, and I can't think if she has a dessert normally, other than store bought Christmas candy??

NYE - we normally go out to eat.

NYD - party at our house! for years & years was sausage & kraut but we added a prime rib! Not sure if we will do that again, or ??? I make mashed potatoes & some other sides. Everybody brings a dish.

OHHHH, I love the Holidays!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (10-09-2012), happyelf (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,337 Times in 3,116 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
SMOKEHOUSE SPAGHETTI
½ LB. SPAGHETTI NOODLES (COOKED & DRAINED)
1 LB. BACON (FRIED & CRUMBLED)
2 ONIONS, CHOPPED
3 LB. HAMBURGER-BROWNED
3 – 8 OZ. CANS TOMATO SAUCE
1 PINT SPAGHETTI SAUCE
½ TSP. OREGANO
½ TSP. GARLIC SALT
3 – 4 OZ. CANS MUSHROOMS W/ JUICE
½ LB. MOZZARELLA CHEESE - GRATED
½ LB. CHEDDAR CHEESE – GRATED
FRY TOGETHER BACON, HAMBURGER, & ONIONS. STIR IN TOMATO & SPAGHETTI SAUCE. ADD SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE. ADD OREGANO, GARLIC SALT, & MUSHROOMS. POUR ½ OF MIXTURE INTO GREASED BAKING DISH, TOP WITH ½ OF CHEESE, AddThe Rest Of The Mixture & Top With the rest of the cheese . Bake at 375º for 25-35 min. Uncovered.

ALI’S AMAZING BRUSCHETTA

THIS BRUSCHETTA WILL TURN OUT EVERY TIME YOU MAKE IT. USE SMALL SLICES OF BREAD FOR A UNIQUE APPETIZER, OR SERVE WITH ITALIAN DISHES. SERVINGS: 6

INGREDIENTS:
2 LARGE TOMATOES, COARSELY CHOPPED
½ SWEET ONION, CHOPPED
2 TBSP. OLIVE OIL
1 TBSP. CHOPPED FRESH OREGANO
1 TSP. CHOPPED FRESH BASIL
2 TSP. CHOPPED FRESH PARSLEY
½ (1 LB) LOAF ITALIAN BREAD, CUT INTO 1” SLICES
¼ C. FRESHLY GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE

DIRECTIONS:
1. PREHEAT OVEN TO 400º
2. IN A MEDIUM BOWL, COMBINE TOMATOES, ONION, OLIVE OIL, OREGANO, BASIL, & PARSLEY. PLACE BREAD ON A BAKING SHEET, & TOP WITH TOMATO MIXTURE. SPRINKLE WITH PARMESAN.
3. BAKE FOR 8-10 MINUTES, OR UNTIL BOTTOM OF BREAD IS BROWNED. ALLOW TO COOL 5 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING.

*I CUT THE BREAD & TOASTED IT FIRST IN THE OVEN@ 275º. I ALSO ADDED FETA CHEESE & 2 GARLIC CLOVES TO THE TOMATO MIXTURE.
I have also used the frozen Texas garlic toast. That was really good & easier!

La Comedia's Famous Sweet Potato Soufflé Recipe
4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 stick butter or margarine (melted)
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix well
Pour into buttered pan

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup butter or margarine (melted)
1 cup pecans
Crumble topping evenly over potato mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes uncovered.

Deviled Eggs – Jean

6 eggs (7)
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp dry mustard (go light)
¼ tsp. Pepper
3 T. salad dressing
paprika
*sweet pickle relish (my addition)

Cut peeled eggs lengthwise in half. Slip out yolks; mash with fork. Mix in seasonings & salad dressing. Fill whites with yolk mixture, heaping it up lightly.

CHEESE LOG

1 SMALL VELVEETA CHEESE
ROLL BETWEEN 2 PIECES OF WAX PAPER
1 PKG. CREAM CHEESE
2 PKG. DRIED BEEF – CHOPPED
6-8 GREEN ONIONS - CHOPPED
¼ CUP CHOPPED JALAPENOS
2 TBSP. JALAPENO JUICE
GARLIC POWDER – TO TASTE

SPREAD OVER CHEESE & ROLL UP

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (10-03-2011), gabulldawg (10-09-2012), happyelf (09-16-2011), Mumof2 (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

happyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elf
All sounds divine! As we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the uk the first big meal is Christmas eve - choc chip chilli, BBQ ribs, mac n cheese, ruby salad
Christmas day is - turkey, ham, mash potato, roast potato, honey parsnips, sprouts with bacon and chessnut's, honey carrots, red cabbage, stuffing (this year it's going to be a gingerbread stuffing) cranberry sauce, apple sauce, bread sauce and gravy with trifle, profiteroles and Christmas pudd for dessert. If we have room in the evening the cheese board comes out.

Nye is takeaway

Nyd generally rib of beef with Yorkshire puddings and the trimmings

Then the diet begins!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to happyelf For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (10-09-2012)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,149 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
Thanksgiving we have Turkey,stuffin',rice dressin' plain & oyster,rolls,gravy,cranberry sauce,peas,celery,Shrimp mold,crackers,Dips,Chips,pecan,apple,pumpkin pies.

Chrismas Eve Lunch-Assorted finger foods,Mini Muffuletta's,Chicken Fingers,Dips.
Christmas Eve Dinner-Chicken Gumbo,potato salad,french bread.

Christmas Day-Turducken or Ham depends on our choice beforehand.A lil bit of everything from above.Sausage stuffed mushrooms,Dips,Chips,Veggie platter,Pepperoni,cheese,crackers,Chocolates,candy Pies.OH MY! LOL

New Year's Eve & Day Lots of homemade kid favorites,we have a party for kids and make pizza's or calzone's,mozz stix,chicken tenders,kids "wine" & "Champagne" its apple juice & sparklin' cider.lotss of kids sized desserts,cookie ice cream sandwiches.etc..

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following User Says Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (10-09-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
Thanksgiving we have
turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, relish tray, a couple vegetables, gravy, rolls, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and homemade pumpkin bread for dessert.

Christmas
Ham , macaroni and cheese, a couple vegetables, deviled eggs, relish tray, dinner rolls, dessert is christmas cookies, pumpkin bread. Sometimes I also make a pie.

New Years Day
I don;t make a standard meal, sometimes we make a pasta dish, and sometimes we have a turkey dinner
The Following User Says Thank You to novelist For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Thanksgiving - traditional meal of turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, stuffings (plain and oyster), my grandma's homemade chicken and noodles, various veggies, etc.

Christmas - usually just a turkey breast, some kind of beef tenderloin, and more of the traditional Thanksgiving sides. For the past couple years I've been getting a country ham and sharing ham and biscuits with my family and my in-laws.

NYE - my cousin hosts and has her father's baked steak, lasagna, little smokies in crescent rolls, cold cuts, typical party food, an assortment of cakes and pies, punch, and champagne at midnight

New Years - some kind of pork and cabbage for good luck in the new year
The Following User Says Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

christmasjingles has shown a merry dispositionchristmasjingles has shown a merry disposition
Thanksgiving and Christmas is the same: turkey, stuffing (I usually get Pepperidge Farm and add maybe sausage, dried cranberries or dried cherries, or maybe apple juice, onion, and celery) cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, brussel sprouts, broccoli, peas, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, gravy (my mom's homemade), dessert is pumpkin pie, pecan pie, my sister usually makes homemade frozen raspberry pie.

for Christmas dessert, my sister also usually makes little pecan tarts, homemade caramel, homemade fudge, spicy date-nut ball cookies, ginger-orange cookies

nye-shrimp with either cocktail sauce or butter-garlic sauce or both, pot-stickers, cheese ball and crackers, crackers with cream cheese and smoked oysters, chips and dip, smoked salmon, I know there's more but can't think of it right now....it's what my sister serves

nyd- not really anything, but I remember growing up my mom always made homemade oyster stew. my family loved it but I was the picky one and I never really cared for it much.
The Following User Says Thank You to christmasjingles For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

christmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elf
for thanksgiving we have a turkey breast since my wife and i dont really eat anything but the white meat.we also have stuffing,deviled eggs,brocilli cassarole,a spiral ham,potato salad,cranberry sauce,rolls and sometimes yams.and for desert homemade apple crisp or apple pie.

for christmas we do it alittle different then the turkey.im cuban and puerto rican and so is my wife so for christmas we make pernil(which is a pork shoulder) rice and black beans,plantanos maduros(fried sweet bananas) picado(ground beef seasoned with spanish seasonings) and empanadas for a little snack before we eat.we eat that on christmas eve and on christmas day was just eat left overs or with the left over pork we make cuban sandwiches.

For new years we really dont make a big meal or anything special.maybe a little thing here or there or we go out.
gabulldawg (10-09-2012)