Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,090
Threads: 53,932
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,862)
Welcome to our newest member, flockman02

Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
12 16x16 Christmas Cake

Christmas Cake

Ingredients:

8 oz package of dried cherries (both red & green)
8 oz package of dried cranberries
8 oz package of dried mixed citrus peels (sometimes I use a package of the dried mixed citrus fruits if I cannot find the peals or use dried pineapple)
2 cups raisins (regular or golden)
1 cup dried currants (black or red or a mixture of both or use dried blueberries)
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup pecans (or walnuts or macadamia or blanched almonds nuts or a nut you like) Chopped
1/2 cup brandy (or flavored liquor you like)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar (dark but you can use the light one too)
6 eggs
3/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup apple juice

Directions:

In a medium bowl, combine cherries, cranberries, citrus peel, raisins, currants, dates, and almonds. Stir in brandy; let stand 2 hours or overnight (or two or three days if you remember).
Dredge (this is a baking/cooking term just means to lightly coat an item with flour/breadcrumbs/etc.) the soaked fruit with 1/2 cup flour.
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F
Grease an 8x8x3 inch cake pan, and two loaf pans line all with parchment paper, and grease again.
In a small bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, baking soda, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream butter until light. I use my electric mixer.
Gradually blend in brown sugar and eggs. Make sure the eggs are fully blended.
Mix together molasses and apple juice in a spouted bowl
Alternate mixing in the molasses & apple juice & the dry (flour mixture) ingredients into butter mixture (end with dry)
Fold in floured fruit. (DO NOT USE ELECTRIC MIXER USE A SPOON OR BETTER YET YOU’RE HANDS)
Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake in preheated oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
Remove from pan, and lift off paper.
Cool cake completely, then wrap loosely in waxed paper, and foil.
Store in an airtight container.

I will let this “rest” (another baking term which just means I store it in a cool, dark spot) for three to six weeks. During the last three weeks I will poke holes in the tops of the cakes and drizzle a very little brandy over them – I do this once a week for three weeks prior to serving.

Ok a couple of notes I have gathered over the years making this recipe….

If you can use demerara sugar, you can find this in the baking isle of your grocery store it is a little bit more money but it adds a very nice texture. Also if you do not like dried citrus fruit use dried pineapple or peaches something you care for just like any of the fruit in the recipe.

If you would like to add a bit of Chocolate to this Fruit Cake add 1/2 cup Molasses 1/2 Cup Coco with a teaspoon instant coffee.

If you would like to add a bit of dazzle use some quick frosting to create a stunning masterpiece here is a nice recipe for Royal Icing (they use this on wedding cakes a lot)

Ingredients:

2 egg whites
4 cups confection sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions:

Beat egg whites lightly and add enough sugar to make icing that will hold shape.
Blend in lemon juice to get desired consistency
Decorate your cake

I hope you like this it is a lot of work but it is so lovely.