Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food > Desserts » Winter Wonderland Cake

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,469
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,864)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Presentblue U.S. Postal Service...
By MMC Editor
10-11-2012 10:37 PM
37,437 Views  0 Posts
santahat The Real History of the...
By MMC Editor
10-24-2013 12:44 PM
17,249 Views  0 Posts
santahat A Black Friday...
By MMC Editor
11-26-2011 10:14 AM
81,874 Views  0 Posts
Presentblue Black Friday 2012: The...
By Jeff Westover
11-23-2012 05:13 PM
48,663 Views  0 Posts
Anna Claus
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:15 PM
76,311 Views  0 Posts

Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,568 Times in 1,458 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Snowflake Winter Wonderland Cake

Winter Wonderland Cake

Prep: 1 hr. Bake: 30 min. makes about 8 slices

Average rating 2.5 from 2 reviews
ingredients:

2 ½ cups flour
1 ½ cups white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk (make room temperature before using)
2 eggs
2 tbsp red food color
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp of vanilla
1/3 raspberry (or strawberry) jam (I like to use bakers jam, but you can really use regular if that is all you have, I just think the bakers jam has a better consistency)
Creamy White Chocolate Frosting (see recipe below)
½ cup whipping cream (heavy cream)
2 ¼ cups whipping cream (heavy cream)
2 tbsp butter
9 ounces white chocolate baking squares (with cocoa butter), grated (use your food processer if you cannot find them pre grated) sweetened (if you use unsweetened just add confectioners’ sugar to sweeten when you are whipping the cream this would be to taste)

directions (CAKE):

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease & flour (sometimes I mix this flour with a little cocoa powder so it is the same color as the cake) 3 9x1.5 inch round cake pans
In a bowl sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder
I use an electric mixer combine the vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs (one at a time or whisk them in a small bowl first and then add), vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients a little at a time until you have a smooth batter
Pour batter into cake pans try to get them as even as possible
Place in oven evenly spaced
Bake 30 minutes (15 minutes in rotate your pans) or until a tooth pick comes out clean
Cool about 10 minutes
Remove cakes from pan (run knife around the edge to loosen them place on cooling racks round side up – do not frost cakes until completely cooled.

directions (Frosting):

In a saucepan, add 1/2 cup whipping cream and butter; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add the white chocolate baking squares (either chopped or grated); DO NOT STIR just put them in. Let this mixture stand, uncovered, for a few minutes, then stir until smooth. Cover and let stand at room temperature about a half hour to 45 minutes to cool. As you are letting that cool place you’re mixing bowl and beaters in to freezer. Once chocolate is cooled pull the bowl & beaters out of the freezer, and beat 2-1/4 cups whipping cream with chilled beaters on medium/high speed just until soft peaks form (or mixture gets stiff). Add the cooled white chocolate mixture, a little at a time, beating on low speed just until combined.

If you have a palette knife it makes it so much easier to spread frosting. But a regular knife or spatula will do just fine.

OK now you are ready to frost your cakes:

Take one of the layers cakes and place it rounded side down on a cake platter. With a spoon and or knife spread some jam on the top of the cake, not too thick as then it becomes runny. Place the second layer round side down on top and repeat with jam. Now place your top layer on (I like to do round side up for this one but it doesn’t matter) and take your frosting and cover the entire cake, be generous, you have enough.

Now you are ready to decorate your cake. If you are really good use some of your frosting and pipe out pretty rosettes, etc. Or you might be like me I do not have a great knack for that so I will sprinkle with red and green sugar. Or sometimes I grated extra chocolate (both milk & white) flakes on top. Or sometimes I write Merry Christmas with the extra Jam (I will pipe that on). You can also use fresh raspberries (or strawberries (also dipped in chocolate too).

Once done decorating put in the refrigerator for about an hour or two before serving.

Christmasstar (08-31-2011), Laney (08-16-2011), MsChristmas (08-17-2011), One Spoiled Brat (09-19-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,350 Times in 12,653 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
sounds great thanks...I use buttermilk in a lot of my baking, give cakes a nice fluff!
If you have a tip for making leaves, you can easily make poinsettias. The flower petals are the same as the leaves, just red. so make them up and use those silver edible beads for the centers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
Gingerbread Latte (09-20-2011), lauriebear (08-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,568 Times in 1,458 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Christmasstar View Post
sounds great thanks...I use buttermilk in a lot of my baking, give cakes a nice fluff!
If you have a tip for making leaves, you can easily make poinsettias. The flower petals are the same as the leaves, just red. so make them up and use those silver edible beads for the centers.
Thank you, yeah I am no good with "making" the cake look pretty, nothing like yours, I look at your pix and I am like WOW look how pretty!!!! That is a good idea, I never really thought of that but poinsettias are perfect add a little color!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

One Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnog
Sounds wonderful Laurie...Thanks for sharing....Smiles....