Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Shopping » Budgeting for Christmas

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Shopping Real Christmas Real Christmas brings you this merry topic area. From Black Friday to Cyber Monday, shopping for Christmas is as fun and challenging as ever. This forum discusses the art of Christmas Shopping. Please note our Forum Rules in regards to links posted in this forum.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 54,004
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,737)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy

Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,687 Times in 13,354 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
a great way to save for Christmas food is to buy a gift card at your favorite grocery store every payday all year, you choose the amount. By Christmas you will be amazed at how much it comes to.
You can do the same with other stores to frequent. Less tempting than cash or a savings account that can be easily dipped into.

We here have a limit of $20 per person for gifts.
For extended family everyone gets a gift basket, usually baking. Last year I gave everyone an ornament made out of dads sweater (his favorite that he can be seen wearing in most pictures) Made everyone cry as they started to talk about memories of him.

But for us it is more about the food and visiting and having fun and enjoying each others company.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,510 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Christmasstar - gift cards to the grocery store is a great idea. Even if it's $1- or $20 at a time, it would surely add up fast.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
Cinder (10-23-2012), merrymistletoe (06-22-2012), Mumof2 (06-20-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,153 Times in 817 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
Thanks guys,you've come throu for me once again! xo

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post:
merrymistletoe (06-22-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,243 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I budget for Christmas throughout the year too!

I get some cash back from my checking account and I save that up too.

I don't really have a specific dollar amount in mind for everyone...maybe $500 for all the relatives and the boyfriend? I make sure that I save up as much as I can and I never use credit to buy Christmas gifts. My family would rather have baked goods and me debt-free than to have me use credit cards.
merrymistletoe (06-22-2012), Mumof2 (06-22-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 12,459 Times in 1,595 Posts
merrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Minta View Post
Does your bank have a christmas club with direct deposit?

Putting aside money each month is a must for us.
ya' know i'm sure they do, i definitely am gonna check into it. after all, it's never too late to save something huh? thanks.

Originally Posted by Christmasstar View Post
a great way to save for Christmas food is to buy a gift card at your favorite grocery store every payday all year, you choose the amount. By Christmas you will be amazed at how much it comes to.
You can do the same with other stores to frequent. Less tempting than cash or a savings account that can be easily dipped into.

We here have a limit of $20 per person for gifts.
For extended family everyone gets a gift basket, usually baking. Last year I gave everyone an ornament made out of dads sweater (his favorite that he can be seen wearing in most pictures) Made everyone cry as they started to talk about memories of him.

But for us it is more about the food and visiting and having fun and enjoying each others company.
now i really like this idea...buying gift cards to be used later. wow, why don't i ever think of these things?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,599 Times in 4,611 Posts
ballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
My bank takes 30 dollars a week out of my checking account and writes me a check on October 15th. It's a nice surprise to get that check in the mail. Plus, it really helps. You have that money and you don't have to touch your regular accounts. Whatever we don't spend (and we never spend it all), we use that to take everyone out to eat once everyone gets to town for Christmas and just me and her after Christmas.

Have glove will travel
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ballcoach For This Useful Post:
Cinder (10-23-2012), merrymistletoe (06-27-2012), Mumof2 (06-25-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I do a few things to take the financial sting out of Christmas.

First, I shop early and often throughout the year. As of today I have purchased gifts for 16 of the 19 people on our Christmas list. Every time we shop (even just our regular weekly shopping) I've always got an eye open for Christmas gifts and when I see a really good deal I snap it up.

For example, not too long ago while grocery shopping I saw that the supermarket had the first two seasons of Roseanne on sale - I think with the sale price and a buy one get one 50% off we ended up paying less than $5 per season and my sister LOVES Roseanne so it was a perfect gift for her and it was less than $10.00!

Second, I coupon. No, I do NOT have a room full of cat treats for a cat I don't own LOL (probably you shouldn't ask about how much body wash and deodorant I have though). Anyway, starting in the next month or so I will start watching sales and coupons and will begin slowly stocking up for holiday dinners and baking.

I did this last year and I think I ended up paying less than $100 total to provide a full holiday meal for 8 adults and 6 children. It took some time and planning but it was well worth it in the end because it saved me a TON of money.

Third, starting in the next month or so I will begin putting away a few dollars each payday for Christmas. This money will be used for my husband and I to purchase gifts for one another as well as paying for any extra holiday events we like to attend like the local festival of trees.

So...I guess the bottom line is plan, plan, plan!!
Mumof2 (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,153 Times in 817 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
Great Idea's,Sunshine.Thank You!

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

elf bazaar has shown a merry dispositionelf bazaar has shown a merry disposition
I read this thread and have spent an hour or two thinking about it. I have worked out Christmas usually costs me about 1500 ish. Not because I go over the top on anything I just absolutely adore every single breath of the season so I seem to spend a lot on making everything perfect. well I say perfect I put everything in place for it to be what I picture in my head then I go with the flow and if it does not turn out the way I planned as long as theres good memories I`m happy!. I tend to spread my food shopping between Costco, Co-op and Asda so I have been buying saving stamps in Asda and Co-op all year. Costco do not offer that scheme but what I do there is buy an executive membership and each tear I get a voucher for use in the store which is a percentage of what I have spent all year so I use that towards my shopping too. For gifts I start shopping as soon as I see something, I am currently 30% done this year!. I like to have personal gifts for my nearest and dearest nothing from any big store I think it really lacks imagination. My friends kids and my staff will all get something which is specific to them I am not very good at genetic gifting!!.
Decorations are my big down fall when it comes to budgeting. I have my own Christmas Shop so I am surrounded by beautiful Christmas all day everyday, the decorations I buy for myself always seem to be so much more expensive but i do love them so I try and spread them out through the year but I do tend to buy things and wonder where my money has gone by the 3rd or 4th of the month!!.
Oh and one last thing, I have stopped buying Christmas music cds i just keep tuned in to merry Christmas radio!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:04 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
WE have a certain amount we spend on our three children. My husband and I have cut back on how much we spend on eachother, but we still are generous with eachother. I have four sisters who we buy gifts for. For the ones who are married, it's a joint gift for sister and husband. We are very well stocked up on Christmas cards, and wrapping paper, along with gift bags, and Christmas tags. I wont need to buy any of those things for a very long time. As far as decorations goes, we have very nice Christmas decorations, but over time i get sick of some of them, so if i see a good deal on something I'll buy it.