Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Holiday Health, Fitness & Nutrition > Weight Loss » Losing Weight: What Works And What Doesn't !!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,125
Threads: 54,224
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,310)
Welcome to our newest member, AMcLoud

Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,501 Times in 9,289 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly Losing Weight: What Works And What Doesn't !!

Hi everyone !!

I am so EXCITED about this new forum !!

I thought I would just comment that like all of us, I have been on many,many diets in my life. I think I have tried them all from fad to sensible.

It has been my observation that the BEST method of losing weight involves watching calories/portions, watching fat intake, drinking PLENTY of water, and being consistent. All this along with NOT being too hard on yourself if you have a bad day, week or whatever !!

Of course, a MAJOR tool in weight loss I believe is exercise. I know I for one am a true couch potato, heck, in fact I am a WHOLE BAG of couch potatoes !!! We are meant to be active and MOVE!!

It doesn't have to be strenuous, just something you like to do. Like walking or running, or dancing or just about anything that keeps you moving for at least half an hour three times a week.

I have discovered the methods of weight loss that DON'T work, at least for me, are the "fad" diets. You know, the cabbage soup diet, UGH, or ANY diet that is so restrictive you have only one or two types of foods to consume every day. Our bodies LOVE variety. We were made to run on all of the food groups. You can have a cookie or two or even a piece of cake......just don't be like me and consume the WHOLE BAG of cookies or the WHOLE cake !!! Moderation has always been they key !!

What is your experience with what works and what doesn't ?? Are they similar to my experience or completely different ?

Do you have any tips that work for you ??

This is going to be SO FUN !! Sharing with one another AND helping one another at the same time !!!!!

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-25-2011), ClaireLovesChristmas (07-02-2011), elf bazaar (05-29-2011), happyelf (05-26-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), lauriebear (08-04-2011), One Spoiled Brat (07-19-2011), Rob (08-03-2011)

Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I agree 100%. I've been on several diets in the last 20 years and what I've learned is that you need lifestyle change not diets.

I resisted calorie counting for years because I thought it would be too hard to do. As it turns out, it's the best step I've ever taken to get my body back in shape. I use an online tracker that automatically counts the calories, fat grams, sugar grams, and every other nutritional element of whatever food or drink I enter into it.

Another important element is having goals, writing them down, and then having a plan to reach those goals. By knowing what my daily caloric intake needs to be in order to reach my target weight, I can have a good idea of when I can actually reach that goal. It helps me to stay on track even after the bad days.

I have started out by walking. That sounds funny because I was an athlete my whole life until the last 20 years. I played fast pitch softball competitively until I was 45. But years of becoming a couch potato and working in an office all day have caused me to have to attack the exercise part of my program slowly. Besides, walking is one of the best exercises there is along with providing some mental stress relief.

Last but not least is just stick to the old Food Pyramid like we used to see in elementary school. Eat more from the bottom than the top.

Oh, also ------- Don't skip breakfast. Most important meal of the day. Your body's metabolism slows down when you sleep and it wakes up in the starvation, slow down mode. Eating something, even if it's just some toast or cereal wakes the metabolism up and gets your body burning again.

Good luck everybody! You can do it!
caninemom3 (05-20-2011), Christmasstar (05-25-2011), frostyman (07-25-2011), happyelf (05-26-2011), Holiday (07-20-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), lauriebear (08-04-2011), One Spoiled Brat (07-19-2011), Rob (08-03-2011), sugar142286 (08-15-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 06:50 AM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,501 Times in 9,289 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

Originally Posted by Storeytime View Post
I agree 100%. I've been on several diets in the last 20 years and what I've learned is that you need lifestyle change not diets.

I resisted calorie counting for years because I thought it would be too hard to do. As it turns out, it's the best step I've ever taken to get my body back in shape. I use an online tracker that automatically counts the calories, fat grams, sugar grams, and every other nutritional element of whatever food or drink I enter into it.

Another important element is having goals, writing them down, and then having a plan to reach those goals. By knowing what my daily caloric intake needs to be in order to reach my target weight, I can have a good idea of when I can actually reach that goal. It helps me to stay on track even after the bad days.

I have started out by walking. That sounds funny because I was an athlete my whole life until the last 20 years. I played fast pitch softball competitively until I was 45. But years of becoming a couch potato and working in an office all day have caused me to have to attack the exercise part of my program slowly. Besides, walking is one of the best exercises there is along with providing some mental stress relief.

Last but not least is just stick to the old Food Pyramid like we used to see in elementary school. Eat more from the bottom than the top.

Oh, also ------- Don't skip breakfast. Most important meal of the day. Your body's metabolism slows down when you sleep and it wakes up in the starvation, slow down mode. Eating something, even if it's just some toast or cereal wakes the metabolism up and gets your body burning again.

Good luck everybody! You can do it!

I love your suggestions !! They are all fabulous !! And I agree...If I skip breakfast - look out !!! It is just so important to give us some energy to run on !! Goals are also EXTREMELY crucial. I have found they don't need to be big goals either.......just one step at a time.

We can do this !!!!!!!

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-25-2011), elf bazaar (05-29-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), lauriebear (08-04-2011), threads324 (10-19-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,303 Times in 610 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
No Diets!

Remember - DO NOT DIET - make a life change instead. May take a little longer to reach your goal - but then you can keep it instead of going up and down so much!
=)
Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,941 Times in 3,823 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I do pretty much agree with You on that......

In 2000 I started working out every day and just ate less...didnt drink as much soda pops and mostly stayed away from candy and chips and such stuff....that pretty much did it for me.....I lost around 18pounds within 12 weeks....but since I gained on muscle weight, it was probably a lil more fat i lost.

I really worked out every day.....even if I came back from partying.....I worked out my one hour of training

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-09-2011), Christmasstar (05-25-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), lauriebear (08-04-2011), rodmonster (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 81,037 Times in 13,421 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
journal, journal, journal!

I agree with above, healthy eating that includes variety and exercise are so important.
I write everything down, what I eat, time I eat, exercise and how much of it. I also write about how I am feeling because a lot of overeating has to do with your mood. When I am stressed I tend to eat a lot more than when I am happy. That way I can look back over the week and figure out why I lost or gained.

Good support is also important. You need people to cheer you on and give you heck once in awhile. I joined TOPS for my support group and they have been fantastic. In June I am going to a big rally in Sarnia where I will get to meet lots of other members from across the province.
It looks like this will be a great place to go for support too!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,095 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
i joined weigh****chers today. i have been food shopping today and stocked up on healthy and nutricious produce, although i have bought myself a packet of weigh****chers double chocolate chip muffins so that i can still enjoy a coffee and a muffin!

since starting college last september i have piled around a stone and a half (21lbs) i'm so busy with college and homework that i haven't been eating proper meals and i've been keeping my energy up with cakes, chocolate and fizzy drinks. i'd love to lose 21lbs by september, then i will be able to allow myself treat days during autumn and winter to bake cakes with my daughter and indulge in the starbucks christmas drinks

Despite my username, I am female!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (06-02-2011), Christmasstar (06-04-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), lauriebear (08-04-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,941 Times in 3,823 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
my sister in law lost a great deal of weight with weight watchers......but be carefull Johnor...You need to stay with it ....of course You can also have a snack and some cake from time to time....but not totally change from weight watchers to regular food....or the scale will jump back up .....more power to you....I will work out again tomorrow

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-09-2011), Christmasstar (06-04-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), lauriebear (08-04-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,095 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
i don't really eat much of the weigh****cher's food tan, i just point regular food. it's more about a lifestyle change for me, eating good homemade food and only the occassional takeaway or treat. i am also starting to power walk with my daughter in her pram so that should help. then when i finish college at the end of the month i'm going to join the gym and attend a couple of exercise classes a week.

of course once the christmas season is here i will be treating myself a little more often

Despite my username, I am female!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-09-2011), Christmasstar (06-04-2011), HomemakinGirl (04-12-2013), lauriebear (08-04-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 81,037 Times in 13,421 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by trackrebel View Post
my sister in law lost a great deal of weight with weight watchers......but be carefull Johnor...You need to stay with it ....of course You can also have a snack and some cake from time to time....but not totally change from weight watchers to regular food....or the scale will jump back up .....more power to you....I will work out again tomorrow
people loose a lot with weight watchers because after they pay the fees they have no money left over for food!