Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Christmas Radio & Audio » 2012 Christmas/Radio Holiday Programming & Schedules

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Radio & Audio Discussions of Christmas on tape or disc, playing on the radio or uploaded here at MMC.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,008
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, misswang123

Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,253 Times in 2,297 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Alabama Public Radio - Various Alabama USA

Though APR doesn't include detailed descriptions, many of the listed shows are covered more in depth in previous posts from other public radio stations.

Some notes about:

12/22

7:00 p.m. A Bama Bluegrass Christmas

12/23

5:00 p.m. Getting Sentimental Over You - Holiday Special

6:00 p.m. A Crooner's Christmas

These are APR produced (local) shows very worthy of your consideration! (As I say every year, Crown 84 would really enjoy "Getting Sentimental Over You" & "A Crooner's Christmas" but they'll likely never come out of the Countdown or Blossom threads to see this.)

And though it isn't listed for December 23, "Jugs Jukes & Jazz airs immediately after "A Crooner's Christmas" at 8:00 pm. Host Tom Halladay generally plays a generous helping of Christmas tunes during his two hour block during the season.

Direct to online listen link - http://streams.apr.org/hd1hi.m3u

Now on to the schedule:

APR Holiday Programming - December

By EVA LYNCH

APR will be featuring special holiday performances during the month of December. Be sure to check back often for changes and additions to the holiday programming schedule. Enjoy!

12/10

8:00 p.m. Candles Burning Brightly

9:00 p.m. Chanukah in Story & Song

12/12

9:00 a.m. Advent Voices

12/13

9:00 a.m. Music of the Baroque Christmas

11:00 a.m. Leroy Anderson Christmas

12:00 p.m. Heaven and Nature Sing

12:30 p.m The Bells of Christmas

12/14

9:00 a.m. Christmas with Madrigalia

10:00 a.m. St. Olaf Christmas Festival

12:00 p.m. Choral Christmas with Stile Antico

12/17

9:00 a.m. Noel, Noel

10:00 a.m. Welcome Christmas!

11:00 a.m. A Classical Christmas

12:00 p.m. Technically, A Christmas Show

12/18

9:00 a.m. A Vermont Christmas with Counterpoint

10:00 a.m. Spanish and Catalan Traditional Christmas Music

11:00 a.m. Slavic Wonders: Christmas with the Rose Ensemble

12:00 p.m. The Christmas Connection

12/19

9:00 a.m. An Early Music Christmas

10:00 a.m. Holiday Light

11:00 a.m. Glad Tidings

12:00 p. m. 365 Holidays with the Canadian Brass

12/20

9:00 a.m. Christmas Carols, Chant and Legend

10:00 a.m. Carols the World 'Round

12:00 p.m. Compact Discoveries: Leroy Anderson

12/21

9:00 a.m. A Chanticleer Christmas

10:00 a.m. Echoes of Christmas

11:00 a.m. The Story of Christmas: A Pageant from Washington National Cathedral

12:00 p.m. Roll Credits: A Hollywood Holiday

12/22

7:00 p.m. A Bama Bluegrass Christmas

12/23

5:00 p.m. Getting Sentimental Over You - Holiday Special

6:00 p.m. A Crooner's Christmas

12/24

9:00 a.m. A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols

11:00 a.m. Christmas with the Morehouse and Spelman Glee Clubs

12:00 p.m. A Tradition of Christmas

12:30 p.m. We Need a Little Christmas

8:00 p.m. Christmas Joy

8:30 p.m. One Silent Night

9:00 p.m. Traditional Lessons and Carols from Dallas

12/25

9:00 a.m. St. Olaf Christmas Festival

11:00 a.m. A Classical Christmas

12:00 p.m. Christmas with the Morehouse and Spelman Glee Clubs

12/31

9:00 a.m. Variations on Very Familiar Tunes

10:00 a.m. New Year's Day from Vienna (LIVE)

12:00 p.m. Northern Lights: A Solstice Celebration

Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Jon Solomon 25th Annual 24 Hour Holiday Show !!!

One of the Top 5 shows to capture each year for me! (DAR.fm to the rescue!)

WPRB 103.3 Princeton, New Jersey USA

2012 is Jon Solomon's 25th Annual 24 Hour Holiday Show

RSVP at the Event FaceBook page.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Jon Solomon 25th Annual 24 Hour Holiday Show !!! - Two

Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post

WPRB103.3 Princeton, New Jersey USA

And since we are limited to three links per post at MMC (can we get this changed?):

Bookmark one of these links today!

WPRB Listen Online Options

iTunes - http://open.wavepanel.net/shoutcast/...d517afd4/1/pls

Windows Audio - http://open.wavepanel.net/shoutcast/...d517afd4/1/asx

Real Audio - http://open.wavepanel.net/shoutcast/...d517afd4/1/ram
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Jon Solomon 25th Annual 24 Hour Holiday Show !!! - Three

WPRB 103.3 Princeton, New Jersey USA

[QUOTE=RadioJonD;484677]And since we are limited to three links per post at MMC (can we get this changed?):

Bookmark one of these links today!

WPRB Listen Online Options

WPRB103.3 Princeton, New Jersey USA

And since we are limited to three links per post at MMC (can we get this changed?):

Another WPRB Listen Online Option

Station Player - http://listen.wprb.com/

Listener chat - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/24-hour-xmas-show-on-wprb

If you make contact and/or log in, tell Jon I sent you! You might even catch me there! In fact, if you plan on logging into chat at any point, tell me when and I'll try to be there when you are!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

WWOZ - New Orleans, Louisiana USA

WWOZ is probably the coolest public radio station in all the land! Almost all of their programming is local in nature and most of the hosts are volunteers. Music programs are certainly a reflection of the culture and atmosphere of Southwest Louisiana! Show hosts are just as eclectic as the music!

Though WWOZ doesn't have a holiday schedule posted as such most, if not all, shows on their weekly schedule page will offer unique genre specific Christmas music during the season.

WWOZ offers three options for online listening.

Explore your interests and add to your listening/recording schedule!

Spot check for Christmas tunes in the playlist.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

WXPN 88.5 HD2 and 88.7 HD2 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'll rate this one right on up there with WCSF!

If you have HD radio in Philadelphia, PA but you are set! WXPN's HD channels (XPN2)are playing "Jingle Jams - A Holiday Mix to Jingle Your Jangle".

This started sometime around Thanksgiving and will continue throughout the season. Like WCSF, the WXPN playlist is very wide and diverse. The linked "Jingle Jams" page above offers a recipe of the day and video of the day as well. Plus it has the announcement with link for Robert Drake's "The Night Before on XPN" 24 Hour Christmas marathon show (next post)!

Three options are available for listening online.

So far from my listening, WXPN hasn't played any top traditional Christmas tunes. So, of the two, if you want a pleasant blend choose WCSF. If you are sorely needing a break from the Top 100 rehashed into the ground on commercial stations (you really shouldn't go there anyway!) than hit "Jingle Jams"!

Random thoughts and ramblings:

I've been disappointing that WCSF isn't available on DAR.fm and not playable through iTunes. WXPN HD shows to be available on DAR.fm but when recording but says 'station not available' when the recording shows up in my schedule. At least WXPN may be streamed through i-Tunes.

I've captured some of WCSF manually with Adobe Audition and will record some "Jingle Jams" as well if I can't get it via DAR.fm after a couple of more tries.
The Following User Says Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Storeytime (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Robert Drake's 19th Annual "The Night Before on XPN"

WXPN 88.5 & 88.7 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert Drake is back for the 19th year for his annual 24 hour Christmas marathon show "The Night Before on XPN".

Drakes show will began at 12 midnight Eastern on December 24. That means a six hour overlap with Jon Solomon on WPRB which begins at 6 pm on December 24. DAR.fm solves that problem!

Like Solomon, Drake will host a live chat and studio web camera.

From the webpage:

The 19th Annual The Night Before on XPN
24 Nonstop Hours on the 24th Day of December!
From midnight to midnight December 24, 2012

Robert Drake here excited to once again host The Night Before on XPN!

It was 19 years ago when WXPN came to me, with those puppy-dog eyes, hoping that I'd fill in on December 24. Seems no one was available, and in those days before digital, you needed a body to oversee any programming. So, I agreed - as long as they gave me complete freedom to spin an aural web of sounds of the season - direct from my collection of holiday tunes. What they didn't know was that I had already developed a fascination for Christmas songs. Not the burnt cookies anyone can hear up and down the dial in December. My collection was chock-full of unique nuggets - some not given the light of day for decades.

So, they agreed to give me three hours and I delivered. The three hours went to four - which went to six and then to twelve, to celebrate twelve years of tradition! In 2007 management asked what I planned to do to top my 12-hour marathon the previous year. I said, how 'bout 24 hours?! After checking my pulse and temperature - just to be sure I wasn't babbling under some illness - they agreed. So, for the last five years, I've been on the air for 24-nonstop hours.

And now I am doing it all again!

Make request on The Jingle Line at 215-573-WXPN

The Following User Says Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Storeytime (12-02-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

KWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elf
I sent the following email to the local radio station playing Christmas music. I think you can see from this email what's been missing and what they've played too much of (here's their playlist from their website):

Hello again,

It's me Kevin, your loyal Christmas music listener, writing in to say I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE!!! I wrote in previously back in November, thanking you for the Christmas music, but I'm writing back asking for a little more variety, if possible. I am tired of hearing different versions of "Happy X-Mas! War is Over" and "Last Christmas".

There are other Christmas classics that I have yet to hear, and don't seem to be on your playlist:

"Little Dummer Boy/Peace on Earth" by Bing Crosby and David Bowie
"Marshmellow World" by Dean Martin
"Someday at Christmas" by Stevie Wonder
"What Christmas Means to Me" by Stevie Wonder
"Christmas Don't Be Late" by Alvin and the Chipmunks
"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas' by Gayla Peevey
"The Man With the Bag" by Kay Starr
"Mele Kalikimaka" by Bing Crosby
"A Christmas to Remember" by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Partin
"This Christmas" by Donny Hathaway
"Celebrate Me Home" by Kenny Loggins

And not one version of "Mary, Did You Know?" by any artist?!?

Also, these may be on your playlist, but I've not heard them much (or at all):

"Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg
"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by the Jackson Five (my favorite version)

And there's a bunch of songs you used to play in recent years, that I have yet to hear, and don't seem to be on your playlist:

"Where are you Christmas" by Faith Hill
"Believe" by Josh Groban
"Christmas Shoes" by New Song (tearjerker, but we need to hear it)
"O Holy Night" by Clay Aiken or Celine Dion (their versions are the best)
"Deck the Halls" by Mannheim Steamroller (or just play more Mannheim Steamroller in general)
"Melodies of Christmas" by David Archuleta (remember you were playing that song like crazy just 3 years ago?)

And I believe you used to play "A Soldier's Night Before Christmas", which is not really a song, but a poem, and it's beautiful. See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV_tiEcPLZU

Additional songs that I think you should play:

"Christmas Pipes" by Celtic Woman. See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uLaIiP3n2o
"Ding Dong Merrily on High" by Celtic Woman. See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXrcK_BjspI
"The Simple Things" (Holiday version) by Jim Brickman. See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfR3pjD7jnE
"Christmas Eve" by Blackmore's Night. See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzd1qVtItIc

Also, play more instrumentals, like the Boston Pops Orchestra's "A Christmas Festival". See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49qI0BwjXSY

If you add any of the above to your playlist, you're going to be much better off.

Thanks again for the Christmas music though. It is indeed the most wonderful time of the year.

Later,

Kevin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KWasser For This Useful Post:
Storeytime (12-04-2012), xmas365 (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by KWasser View Post
It's me Kevin, your loyal Christmas music listener, writing in to say I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE!!! I wrote in previously back in November, thanking you for the Christmas music, but I'm writing back asking for a little more variety, if possible. I am tired of hearing different versions of "Happy X-Mas! War is Over" and "Last Christmas".
Arghhhhh! If I hear "Happy X-Mas! War is Over" one more time this year I think I'm going to start a war somewhere. Same goes for "Last Christmas".

I was listening to Delilah's show last night and in the space of 1-1/2 hour, she played War is Over twice. I know..........I probably deserve it for listening to her show, but I like her banter and the callers' stories. It helps me keep my focus on the real things when I'm so stressed about the unimportant things that I make too important every year.
xmas365 (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 75,480 Times in 15,106 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Storeytime View Post
Arghhhhh! If I hear "Happy X-Mas! War is Over" one more time this year I think I'm going to start a war somewhere. Same goes for "Last Christmas".

I was listening to Delilah's show last night and in the space of 1-1/2 hour, she played War is Over twice. I know..........I probably deserve it for listening to her show, but I like her banter and the callers' stories. It helps me keep my focus on the real things when I'm so stressed about the unimportant things that I make too important every year.
My wife and I listen to Delilah sometimes, we always laugh when she does a song dedication to someone, because the songs usually have absolutely nothing to do with what the callers are talking about.

Does anyone else feel that way about her show?

We use to listen to her not in the Christmas season years ago, but now this season is the only one we catch her.